1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you changed to LED bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:27 PM
Warren89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe it's that fancy in my truck. You can the flash slow down a bit with a trailer on. I believe it is just a flasher resistor, the reduction of resistance, the using of leds, causes hyper flashing. They do make flashers that are adjustable.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Warren89
Senior User
I believe what you are talking about it called the canbus system. I don't believe my truck has that.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Warren89
I believe what you are talking about it called the canbus system. I don't believe my truck has that.
nope thats more dealing with the computer itself and the systems its controls.

i was talking about the flasher relay itself in how it works. i use to have pics of when i pulled the stock flasher apart and the aftermarket one apart that i have in my stang now.. but couldnt find them when i went looking on the site i use to use for image hosting.. may need to pull them both apart again to show the differences in design.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Warren89
Senior User
I may be wrong but isn't a flasher relay essentially a resistor. I know. You cab buy a relay designed for leds and you can buy ones that are adjustable. I didn't think they had the ability to "tell"when a bulb was blown.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
as i said im not an electrical engineer.. i can only tell you what we were told over on the other forums im on in how they worked.. but when i had mine apart they looked 100% different from each other. even though i bought a MC replacement it didnt look anything like the one that was originally in there.. one uses a thermal breaker the other used an timed diode to trip the breaker. its possible the adjustable ones are just another version of the timed diode ones. can tell you both of them had a resistors in them...

Old 04-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tmayes1
Mike, do you know if these lights work in the factory housing? I have a 2008 f250 and hoping that these would be just plug and play. Also how do I know which ones to get in terms of the H4 or H7 or any of the several options listed? Thanks for your help!
there is no reason they shouldnt as long as you have the aero style headlight not the work truck front end and it looks like you do in your avatar picture since those use the h13 bulb. What do you need a h7 or h4 for?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:46 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Here is my experience on the matter.

When I had my 2011 F250, I took the plunge into the LED world. I had a set of HIDs I installed in 2014. They were nice. Great lighting when travelling on dark roads. The drawback was RF issues with the truck radio while driving. I eventually installed LEDs all around and even had the Ford dealer program th truck for the front and rear blinkers due to the Canbus. When it came to lighting in these areas, I had problems with several different types of bulbs for park/ turn indicator lamps. I eventually installed the original 3157A incandescent bulbs for the fronts since I had micro flashing and even 4 way flashing when operating the turn signals without park lights on. If had the park lights on, there was no problem. I reasoned it had to with system load balance on the circuit.

Fast forward to my 2016 F350. This is my current ride. I recently documented my F350 build Click Here!!! This time there was no problem with any of the LED bulbs for the turn/ brake/ park lights. No micro flashing with the LEDs installed all around the truck. I did turn out the lights out indication using Forscan. No issues there. Honestly, I feel the problem was mainly due to my 2011 was an early build and some of the electrical now as perfected as it should be. The 2016 was a night and day difference. Everything went the way it should have. As for the headlights. They are LEDs and perform perfect. No issues with the radio or any other system in the truck. The high beams really work nice as well. They actually perform the way they should. I have nothing but praise for the kit I used. I am a fan of the LED bulbs in these trucks.

Recently, I have been thinking about reworking the Explorer and converting it to LEDs all around. In my case, it looks like the flasher relay would need to be changed to make the LED turn signals to work right. This could be the case on the early models of the Super Duties. This is what Sparky83 was eluding to. I would say give the aftermarket option a try. I know the local chain parts store should have something in stock. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
I finally got around to installing my LED headlights, fog lights, switchback front turn signals and reverse lights.
The switchbacks caused a hyperflash problem, so I removed them until I can get that fixed (Forscan or Dealer).
The LED headlights, fog lights and reverse lights work great though. No problems so far.

The light output is good. Brighter than stock, but not overwhelming. I haven't been flashed on the highway yet by people whole think I have my high beams on blinding them, so that's a good thing.

I went with these lights:

Headlights
Fog Lights
Reverse Lights
Switchbacks

Some pics before and after. I used a Nikon D700 DSLR on a tripod, set on manual, with manual white balance, same exposure each shot, so the pics are as accurate representations as possible.
The reverse light pics don't do them justice. They are much brighter in person.

I'll post some dashcam video next after I get it uploaded....

Just for reference, the stock lights were Ford OEM lights that came in the truck. Bought new in July 2015, now has approx 27000 miles them.

OEM without fogs on:

OEM with fogs ON:

LED without fogs:

LED with fogs:

LED High beam, no fogs. Forgot to take OEM high beam photo for comparison. Sorry.

OEM Reverse lights:

LED Reverse lights:

Old 04-21-2018, 09:37 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Here are links to some video. Pretty boring dashcam stuff, but gives you an idea of what they look like in different areas.
There are bugs on the windshield that kinda blur the image a little around the edges. Sorry.

First one is going through a small town on the way to my place in the country.
Next one is rural highway after town, leading to a county back road. Dead hog on the side at about 4 seconds in.
Final one is pulling into my dirt driveway.

It's dark out in these videos. No moon and no street lights outside town. The video doesn't do the high beams justice. They throw light pretty well pretty far. When I get my hyperflash programming done, I'm also going to get it set where my fogs stay on with high beams.

The dashcam is a relatively cheap Anker ROAV I caught on sale for $67.99 back in July 2017. I bought two of them. One is in my wife's Jeep and one I switch back and forth from my truck to my work car. Both have preformed flawlessly so far.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:58 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Last one....

Just showing the truck from the front to show the light color. Nice white light, Not blue like some of the ricer headlights I see running around.

Forgive the nasty headlight lenses. lol

Old 04-22-2018, 12:15 AM
CHESSIE JAKE
New User
Put some new after market headlights that were LED and happy I did. brighter and look great!

Old 04-22-2018, 09:25 AM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I've almost replaced alls my lights with LEDs. Just put in LED fog lights. Also ran LED light strip underneath the truck.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:27 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by CHESSIE JAKE
Put some new after market headlights that were LED and happy I did. brighter and look great!
Care to elaborate? Pics? Links to product? Etc...

Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginther
I finally got around to installing my LED headlights,
SNIP
The light output is good. Brighter than stock, but not overwhelming. I haven't been flashed on the highway yet by people whole think I have my high beams on blinding them, so that's a good thing.
I went with these lights:
Headlights
SNIP
This looks interesting. Our most critical need now is for our daughter's P71, which has poor light on the road. It takes a 9007, and Amazon still sells the one you used in a 9007. The customer rating is higher than any other conversion LED bulb I've looked at so far. The light output is pretty well controlled in your pics. Under Amazon comments there are only two about radio static. For other bulbs, that is a much more frequent complaint. I think I'll order up a pair and give it a try. The clearance back behind the socket on the Crown Vic might be an issue. I may have to do a little gum massage on the buckets back there....

Thanks for the facts.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:07 AM
quietman
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I run Hikari 9008s from Amazon, about $70 I think.
I use a Brite Box so my high beam setting is literally electric napalm. Both high and low are massively better than stock.
I run a set of Amazon bought backup lights, also awesome. I have LED DLRs on my upgraded headlight assemblies as well, on a switch. Looks cool. Also LED license plate and interior.

Quick Reply: Have you changed to LED bulbs?