Sponsored by:

Pulling with an Ex...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:53 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by GregA
So no need to trim the studs? Boras are listed as hubcentric, so I should be good there.
Originally Posted by 00t444e
You need to put the spacers on first and check with a straight edge, with my 2" spacers I didn't have to trim the rear studs but I did a slight bit on the front, different brands of front hub assembly's have different length studs so you may or may not have to trim.
In my case, no stud trimming was required. I recently had the wheel bearings replaced with Timkens in the front. No trimming was done again.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:17 AM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts
I upgraded the hitch on my F350 years ago because I found one for a good price. It was off the newer trucks...2005-2007...that have the larger ball mount. From what I remember the frame bolts were definitely larger and I think the overall steel was thicker...I could verify if compared to the Excursion given it is still a stock unit. It states on the sticker that if you utilize the weight distribution with the 2" ball mount, it is good for 12,500 lbs. with 1,250 lbs. tongue weight. If you utilize the weight distribution with the 2.5" ball mount, it is good for 15,000 lbs. with 1,500 lbs. tongue weight.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:55 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Gents, reports of our collective fiery deaths have been greatly exaggerated...
LOL! I didn't mean to steer this thread in a negative direction with my question. I read before about the limit but haven't had to address it (yet).

I have read about people replacing their Excursion hitches with upgraded ones. I was expecting you to tell us you did that already or had mitigated it with some fab work (bet you got all the tools )

I'm wondering if you really have that much tongue weight? Centered triple axles should take a lot of trailer weight, unless you have a bunch of heavier stuff right up front?

I'd be curious when you weigh it to get your pin weight.

IMHO, tongue weight is more about balance than percentage of gross weight. For example, if the axles are centered and take 70% of the weight directly over them, the remaining 30% needs to be distributed correctly between the forward and aft of axles, with enough tongue weight to counter the aft portion. Weight straight down cannot be used to balance, and a wider platform (such as more axles) should transfer more weight to the straight up and down area.

As someone who not only races, but BUILDS racing cars, you would likely have a better than many understanding of how it feels and if it is sound. So check that rear hitch mounting and such and let us know what you think after looking at it closely

Old 02-09-2018, 10:07 AM
GregA
Tuned
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
I will most certainly inspect all items prior to each leg.

Here's the scales values we got before departing for the trip. This was with the trailer fully loaded, truck empty, and 1/8 tank of fuel:

Steer Axle: 3,340 lb
Drive axle: 6,340 lb
Gross Weight: 21,220 lb

Base weight on the Excursion was listed at 3782/3415 F/R. That's why I napkin-figured there's about 2500# tongue weight on it. After that weigh we adjusted the load bars and balance of the cars and equipment in the trailer to slightly reduce the tongue weight and increase nose weight (but not too much) but did not reweigh after. I'm estimating we tossed in ~1000# of people, bags, and equipment in the truck, so with 44 gal fuel we're rolling around 23k GCVW.

Thing pulls nice, too.

Wheels/tires acquired, spacers being fabbed, we'll see how it rolls in March.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:12 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I believe the actual curb weight of 7.3L Excursion is about 8200#, which would put you with 1000# of gear at a trailer weight of maybe 12k?

Does that sound feasible in your setup?

We swapped to F350 rear springs and estimate your numbers are about the same as ours for the camper this past year, FULLY, FULLY loaded with people, gear, etc.

Wasn't too bad, just some of those event-driven sways I mentioned

75-80mph wasn't a problem, except uphills in traffic. Took time to build up to that speed with higher EGTs and a failing injector (and OEM splitshots).

I had NO SWAY controls installed. I'm planning to add a pair of friction sway bars to "stiff arm" any sway. It wasn't out of control, but there were a few times with uneven road surface where I wouldn't have wanted to have any LESS towing vehicle I hit the brake controller override a few times to prevent tail wagging.

BIG difference between 62mph and 75mph in handling. All wind

I am more relaxed to think you are not at 16k trailer, LOL.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:39 AM
GregA
Tuned
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I am more relaxed to think you are not at 16k trailer, LOL.
Party pooper...

That could be about right. The two cars are 5000# total, and there's not much space left in there (cars are nose-to-tail, less than a foot or so left each end). Figure maybe 300# in tools and equipment, maybe another 600# in wheels and tires. Add in a Honda 3000 generator for around 6000 inside? Your guess is as good as mine what the tare weight on that trailer is.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:40 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Party pooper...

That could be about right. The two cars are 5000# total, and there's not much space left in there (cars are nose-to-tail, less than a foot or so left each end). Figure maybe 300# in tools and equipment, maybe another 600# in wheels and tires. Add in a Honda 3000 generator for around 6000 inside? Your guess is as good as mine what the tare weight on that trailer is.
I'd GUESS 4500 on the trailer? Triple axle, enclosed, 16k trailer right? Could be more. I'm guessing based on equipment trailers as comparison and it would be lighter...Your trailer should have a tag, right?

If you need to adjust tongue weight, you can probably back in the front car and pull in the back one to put most of the weight over the axles

My V8 stock car had to have the nose clear up against the box in my open trailer years ago to be properly balanced. Back it on? Only if you gave me THREE LANES of traffic to tow it, LOL. I was towing with a 4Runner back then.

BTW, I think it is awesome you are towing all that with a 7.3L Excursion

Old 02-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Bhead
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been towing a 33" tt for the last few years, with my 05 Ex 6.0L, I added air bags and use a Reese Straight Line hitch. I experience a little roll but haven't had issues with sway, except for the one I caused (dumb mistake). My only issue has been temperature crossing West Tx in the summer, but then again the outside temp was well over a 100.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:40 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I have an EGT gauge and a trans temp gauge. Trans temps never exceeded 155 and EGT never exceeded 950 (I have a warning set at 1000, it never sounded.)
Where is your EGT probe mounted?

Until you take the whole rig to a truck scale and get actual weights we are all just guessing. I think that the problem probably lies in the way the weights are being distributed.

I also really don't think you should ignore what I said about the receiver hitch capacity. However, you may be reasonably close to the limit depending on what the scales tell you.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:42 AM
GregA
Tuned
Originally Posted by andym
Where is your EGT probe mounted?
Standard location: tapped into the left exhaust manifold.

Until you take the whole rig to a truck scale and get actual weights...
See post #34 above.

Thanks for the input!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:06 AM
GregA
Tuned
None of us want to be "that guy".

Anyone we know? Looked pretty ugly, and that was only ~5k pounds or so.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:50 AM
andym
Post Fiend
I don't see how it's possible to have a GCWR of 23,000# and never exceed 1000 degrees EGT. I would seriously question the accuracy of the gauge because you should be seeing much higher temps. Any hill at all should easily let it exceed 1000. On flat ground you're lucky to be under 1000 at all with a trailer that big.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 AM
GregA
Tuned
Originally Posted by andym
I don't see how it's possible to have a GCWR of 23,000# and never exceed 1000 degrees EGT. I would seriously question the accuracy of the gauge because you should be seeing much higher temps.

Did you catch the point about my running the DP tuner (I even selected the 80hp tow mode just fine with that load)? Stock injectors, stock downpipes and exhaust, only engine mod is an AIS intake. And no significant black smoke that I can see in the side mirror, even going uphill. And 10.5 mpg calculated average over 2000+ miles pulling that load. Edge Controller for gauging only and I personally drilled and tapped the hole for the EGT sensor, thus I know it's in the right place.

So, I'm comfy with that data. I do appreciate your insight, but I really don't want to argue online about it without any solid evidence to the contrary.

History will eventually show who's right...

Old 02-12-2018, 09:37 AM
andym
Post Fiend
I don't want to argue either, but I will say that this is something you should investigate. This is the Excursion forum so it doesn't always get a lot of readers familiar with the 7.3L and EGTs while towing heavy, but if you post this question in the 7.3L forum you are going to be surprised at the answers.

I had my Ex loaded down pretty good when I moved to SC last year. Truck and trailer weighed in at about 21000# IIRC. I saw 950 on flat ground @ 65mph. East of the rockies I never had to slow down below 60, but I was in 2nd gear going over Loveland pass in Colorado due to EGTs. Most hills were between 1100 and 1200.

I have no boost leaks. I went through the whole top end of the motor last year. New boots, clamps, 160/80 injectors, 38R, etc. My EGT numbers are in line with other members here.

You either have a magical truck or a very inaccurate gauge. I would bet money on the latter.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 AM
GregA
Tuned
Noted! I'll pay closer attention on the trip home.

Quick Reply: Pulling with an Ex...