Interior questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Interior questions

Old 01-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Keith Watkins
New User
Keith Watkins is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interior questions

Hi guys. I have a '56 that I will be putting an interior in and have a question for those of you that have used the ABS headliner and/or kit.

I have enough dynamat to do the cab but am wondering do I want the headliner (and other pieces if I get the whole kit) with or without insulation? Does dynamat work for heat/cold too?

Next, where does everyone mount speakers? I've seen the underseat models and when I bought my first truck in high school I had my pioneer tsx-9s under the seat and liked it fine. Not sure how much room I will have if I go with the TMI buckets or the ones Summit sells.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:28 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Dynamat is great for dampening vibrations in a panel, think about it like placing a finger on the edge of a vibrating cymbal. Some heat/sound insulating qualities as well but not its strongpoint. I apply Dynamat, Noico, or other brand of butyl mat on my roof underside (on top of two coats of LizardSkin) and then follow it with a layer of EZ Cool insulation, take a look at the website EZ Cool Automotive Insulation heat barrier and noise reduction for cars, trucks, classic cars, street rods and much more. The EZ Cool is ultra lightweight and perfect for the underside of the roof. Holds out radiated heat and dampens reflected noise within the cab. As for speakers, it's hard to beat a good kick panel install...good sound dispersion and simple wire runs. I built some woofer enclosures that mount in the rear corners of the cab but that is a little more than most truck owners care to go. Good luck, post some pics when you can.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:35 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Charlie, if you recommend it, I will buy it! The price looks good, a 4 x 10 piece for $45. So you put a couple of strips of butyl sound deadener on the roof first then the EZ Cool. And you use spray adhesive?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:02 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
The EZ Cool consists of a sheet of micro-bubble wrap about 5/16 ths thick. Both sides of the bubble sheet have aluminum foil bonded to it. If you get a chance read the report on the testing that was conducted on the EZ Cool, very impressive. The sheeting is easily applied with 3M 77 or 90 spray adhesive...full coverage is not necessary since the material is so light. You can apply as much butyl mat as you like, as a rule of thumb I use as much as is needed to eliminate the ringing when the panel is tapped. I like a dull thunk sound when tapped. I am using Noico mat right now, it looks just like Dynamat and it is thicker and cheaper.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:28 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
I apply Dynamat, Noico, or other brand of butyl mat on my roof underside (on top of two coats of LizardSkin) and then follow it with a layer of EZ Cool insulation.
Charlie,
Do you make your own lizard skin or do you buy it? If you buy it which one?

Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
I make my own. Good quality exterior grade latex paint with as much ceramic microspheres as possible mixed in. Should be the consistency of cake batter. Spray with a Schutz gun or use the kit sold by Lizard Skin...it has a quart syphon feed gun and a syphon feed hose setup if you want to spray it from a bucket.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Thatís what Iím doing. Bought the ceramic spheres and gun, I just need my cab back!

Old 01-24-2018, 11:53 AM
mOROTBREATH
Posting Guru
mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.
Charlie, can you show a picture of your home-made lizard skin after applied? Does the EZ cool affect carpet or headliner fitment from its thickness?

Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
The EZ Cool consists of a sheet of micro-bubble wrap about 5/16 ths thick. Both sides of the bubble sheet have aluminum foil bonded to it. If you get a chance read the report on the testing that was conducted on the EZ Cool, very impressive. The sheeting is easily applied with 3M 77 or 90 spray adhesive...full coverage is not necessary since the material is so light. You can apply as much butyl mat as you like, as a rule of thumb I use as much as is needed to eliminate the ringing when the panel is tapped. I like a dull thunk sound when tapped. I am using Noico mat right now, it looks just like Dynamat and it is thicker and cheaper.
Charlie, I was getting ready to order some Noico mat. It can be bought in 50 and 80 mil thickness. Is 50 mil adequate? Obviously 80 mil would probably be better, but with budget in mind...

Old 01-27-2018, 01:28 PM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
Here is a link to all the questions about Charlie's magic lizard skin.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...in-update.html

Old 01-27-2018, 02:55 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle View Post
Charlie, I was getting ready to order some Noico mat. It can be bought in 50 and 80 mil thickness. Is 50 mil adequate? Obviously 80 mil would probably be better, but with budget in mind...
Personally I would go with the 80 but 50 is better than none at all.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
Personally I would go with the 80 but 50 is better than none at all.
Thank You! 80 it will be then. It's only a little more money...no biggie

Old 01-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Keith Watkins
New User
So looks like nobody has used the ABS panels.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:28 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
Keith,
Several have used the ABS panels. 56fordpanel used them on his wife’s 56. I think he was pretty statisfied with the ones MidFifty sells.

Dynamt is pricey and there are other cheaper options as discussed above. It’s primarily used of noise control thus the other products discussed above as well. Keep in mind these trucks were built for work not comfort or quietness so pretty much anything you do will help.

You might ask 56fordpanel or Charlieled where they recommend speaker placement.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:37 PM
Keith Watkins
New User
Ok, well, the question was about the panels. I have Dynamat. I was wondering if, with dynamat, I would also want the panels to come with insulation as they are sold either way. Mid-fifty also has kick panels make to use with (guessing) 6 1/2" round speakers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior questions

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.