6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

5 injectors later & still has highway speed shudder

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:03 AM
lwarrior1016
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, youve gone through all the same crap I went through with my buddies truck. At this point, your truck is doing the same thing his is and has had the same symptoms throughout. Unfortunately, I did not find out what fixed his truck indefinitely because I gave it back to him (thinking all was well) and he reported the same issue. I sure hope you get this thing fixed.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, I got some highway miles on the truck yesterday but due to the heavy downpours yesterday afternoon that resulted in 3 " of rain, half of those miles were not at the speeds where the issue shows up. The run north was in good weather and I kept the cruise control at 78mph and the truck seemed to run fine. I know I am edgy about this whole thing and could possibly be psyching myself out, but every expansion joint on the interstate had me thinking I was feeling hesitations/misses. The mileage of this first run was more than the run last Sunday that I mentioned earlier, but was shorter than the one I took Thursday night after having the regulator apart (but BEFORE getting that other o-ring in there) so I am nowhere near comfortable enough to say that the truck is fixed.

During that drive I was carefully monitoring PIDs on my Insight CTS, and snapped a pic of the screen at the 78 mph cruise and also at hot idle so I could share numbers here in case they end up coming into play if this symptom rears its head the next time I can put a big highway test drive on it.

78-mph cruise control readings:

MPH-C: 78
RPM: 1925
EOT: 178
ECT: 190
ICP V: 1.8
ICP PSI: 1429
IPR: 40%
BOOST: 6
FICM: 48.5
BATT V: 14.2

Hot Idle readings:

MPH-C: 0
RPM: 637
EOT: 187
ECT: 190
ICP V: 0.8
ICP PSI: 609
IPR: 20%
BOOST: 0
FICM: 48.5
BATT V: 13.6

As I said, I did the best I could to monitor everything during the drive and look for anything out of the ordinary. ICP seems to bounce around by a couple of tenths here and there but I think that it probably attributable to the cruise control slightly altering throttle to maintain highway speeds. I am not very well-versed on ICP, although I understand the theory behind these engines well enough, but something did catch my eye once that I am not sure if is an issue or not. While using the cruise control I was merging onto another section of highway that had a pretty decent grade to it, and when the CC added throttle I watched ICP go from the 1.6 to 1.8 range I'd been seeing on level ground at 78 mph rise quickly to 3.0V. I assume that's from additional throttle input from the CC but when it went to 3.0V I looked at ICP PSI and saw it was only in the 1600's. Granted, ICP didn't stay that high but for a moment or so, but long enough for me to see it and glance at ICP PSI. I'm not convinced the system had time to react to that very brief rise in ICP V but thought I'd mention it.

Bottom line is the truck needs more road testing on the highway, but I am still watching and learning. Just thought I'd share what I'm seeing right now.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:12 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016
Man, youve gone through all the same crap I went through with my buddies truck. At this point, your truck is doing the same thing his is and has had the same symptoms throughout. Unfortunately, I did not find out what fixed his truck indefinitely because I gave it back to him (thinking all was well) and he reported the same issue. I sure hope you get this thing fixed.
Definitely let me know if you end up hearing what the root issue on that truck ends up being. I can't confirm that I am out of the woods on my issue yet, but even if I was it would still be helpful to the group here to find out what the resolution on that truck ends up being.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:14 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Thanks for the update. So many threads end with no feedback it’s a highlight to see it, even if you’re just partially there.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:17 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The expansion joint theory you talk about is not that far fetched, not to mention the fact you have bigger tires and the front leaf suspension.
I can relate, the kids truck has larger Grapplers and is lifted a bit, I have to pole vault in the dang thing.

I think at times owners of vehicles, more specifically mechanic/mechanic type owners tend to over analyze things(guilty as charged)

I recently took the boys 03 on a snowmobiling trip to Togwotee 750 miles west of here with close to 10k lbs of trailer and sleds.
Did I know it would make it? Pretty sure it would yes(any make and model can fail)......did I watch the Edge Insight like a bald eagle eyeing it's next meal under the brush? Better believe it, at least for the first four hours I was. Besides some trouble with the cooling fan shirking it's duties a few times going up the pass(remedied by 40 mph and dropping a gear down) it ran without missing a beat, and that was with -10's on the way home. The two trucks I did see alongside the road there were both GM gassers, one a whopping one year old.

The fact the ICP jumps around is normal. Any slight grade is going to call for an increase in oil.
Those hot idle readings are great, the only thing that caught my eye wast he V's.
I like to see it pushing 14V at all times, but that is not a "bad" reading either.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Thanks for the update. So many threads end with no feedback it’s a highlight to see it, even if you’re just partially there.
No problem- this has been a good thread if I may say so myself because it's showing progression of diagnosis so I will keep it going until it is done.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by navistarnut
The expansion joint theory you talk about is not that far fetched, not to mention the fact you have bigger tires and the front leaf suspension.

I think at times owners of vehicles, more specifically mechanic/mechanic type owners tend to over analyze things(guilty as charged)

I recently took the boys 03 on a snowmobiling trip to Togwotee 750 miles west of here with close to 10k lbs of trailer and sleds.
Did I know it would make it? Pretty sure it would yes(any make and model can fail)......did I watch the Edge Insight like a bald eagle eyeing it's next meal under the brush? Better believe it, at least for the first four hours I was. Besides some trouble with the cooling fan shirking it's duties a few times going up the pass(remedied by 40 mph and dropping a gear down) it ran without missing a beat, and that was with -10's on the way home. The two trucks I did see alongside the road there were both GM gassers, one a whopping one year old.

The fact the ICP jumps around is normal. Any slight grade is going to call for an increase in oil.
Those hot idle readings are great, the only thing that caught my eye wast he V's.
I like to see it pushing 14V at all times, but that is not a "bad" reading either.
Thanks for your input. FYI- when I first got the Insight CTS I checked BATT V against a Fluke meter at the battery terminals and found that there is a 0.4V loss at the OBD-II connector, so I'm actually pushing 14.0V at idle.

So you don't think there's anything to the ICP V going to 3.0 and ICP PSI not jumping up as well? Even though it was momentarily? I thought I read somewhere that 1.0V ICP is equivalent to about 800 PSI? Maybe there's more to this than I understand- admittedly I am not well-versed on ICP theory.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tampa250
Thanks for your input. FYI- when I first got the Insight CTS I checked BATT V against a Fluke meter at the battery terminals and found that there is a 0.4V loss at the OBD-II connector, so I'm actually pushing 14.0V at idle.

So you don't think there's anything to the ICP V going to 3.0 and ICP PSI not jumping up as well? Even though it was momentarily? I thought I read somewhere that 1.0V ICP is equivalent to about 800 PSI? Maybe there's more to this than I understand- admittedly I am not well-versed on ICP theory.
I would not sweat that, in light of the fact you may have missed a larger blip in the ICP pressure readout since you were looking at the volts, or the Edge didn't catch the blip on the ICP pressure reading.
I have read other complaints about the Edge being slow with things at times.
It's a cool layout, but a real PITA when it sits there and thinks with a blank screen, and takes forEVER to display after started up.
I saw the boys truck tickle 30 lbs boost twice towing on that trip when it was in 4th gear with the TC locked in, but if I were a betting man it did it more than twice, I just didn't catch it each time.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
I would not sweat that, in light of the fact you may have missed a larger blip in the ICP pressure readout since you were looking at the volts, or the Edge didn't catch the blip on the ICP pressure reading.
I have read other complaints about the Edge being slow with things at times.
It's a cool layout, but a real PITA when it sits there and thinks with a blank screen, and takes forEVER to display after started up.
I saw the boys truck tickle 30 lbs boost twice towing on that trip when it was in 4th gear with the TC locked in, but if I were a betting man it did it more than twice, I just didn't catch it each time.
Ok, thanks. I'm also wondering how my Gearhead SRL tune is affecting some of these PIDs vs. a stock truck. Just curious as I compare my readings to the ones generally accepted as being "good" here.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Jtpadilla1030
New User
Also check fuel pump, my bad fuel pump causes 2 of my injectors to fail.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:32 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jtpadilla1030
Also check fuel pump, my bad fuel pump causes 2 of my injectors to fail.
He's got a new pump installed

Old 02-05-2018, 07:07 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Just reporting back on the latest with this saga. Since my commute to work is only 3 miles, I don't usually get the opportunity to get out on the highway until the weekend and yesterday I drove out to help my brother work on his under-construction home again. This run gives me the opportunity to get between 20-25 miles at the highway cruising speed where my issue shows up and the truck drove fine. However, as I've pointed out before sometimes the shudder takes a little more distance than that to manifest.

I've also been checking for codes constantly and have been clean until I got home last night. I had a Cylinder #5 contribution code, which is one of the injectors I just replaced. The truck is running great though so I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm wondering if this is a clue into what may be going on. FICM? Wiring? Oddball code?

I was pretty upset to see a code last night, but maybe this will help lead to whatever is going on but like I said so far the truck has been running great although I still need to do a long drive on the highway.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:35 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tampa250
Just reporting back on the latest with this saga. Since my commute to work is only 3 miles, I don't usually get the opportunity to get out on the highway until the weekend and yesterday I drove out to help my brother work on his under-construction home again. This run gives me the opportunity to get between 20-25 miles at the highway cruising speed where my issue shows up and the truck drove fine. However, as I've pointed out before sometimes the shudder takes a little more distance than that to manifest.

I've also been checking for codes constantly and have been clean until I got home last night. I had a Cylinder #5 contribution code, which is one of the injectors I just replaced. The truck is running great though so I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm wondering if this is a clue into what may be going on. FICM? Wiring? Oddball code?

I was pretty upset to see a code last night, but maybe this will help lead to whatever is going on but like I said so far the truck has been running great although I still need to do a long drive on the highway.
You would not be the first person to see a "ghost" code from an injector, only to scratch your head as it's running just fine.

I had this with the kids truck for a few months. #2 IIRC would pop out of nowhere, clear it only to come back a week later.
It stopped coming back. My only explanation is I had done some work that involved moving looms around......who knows, but it never came back.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
You would not be the first person to see a "ghost" code from an injector, only to scratch your head as it's running just fine.

I had this with the kids truck for a few months. #2 IIRC would pop out of nowhere, clear it only to come back a week later.
It stopped coming back. My only explanation is I had done some work that involved moving looms around......who knows, but it never came back.
I'm not so sure what's going on, but on my lunch break I could clear the code with my Insight CTS and it comes right back. Also, I could be mistaken but it's almost like I am feeling a very very slight miss at idle but with everything I've been through lately my nerves are shot when it comes to this truck so who knows.

Since I've got fuel pressure under control under all conditions but WOT I'd be really surprised if I have a hurt couple hundred mile old injector. I wonder if there's a chance that my new #5 injector was bad out of the box and had caused the shudder to stick around? Probably a stretch because the contribution code just showed up last night but I'm at a total loss here. In a long sleeve dress shirt I just went outside to make sure the injector connector wasn't loose because this is killing me. During lunch I also called Ed at FICMrepair.com because I was curious if my high speed shudder and now the contribution code could have been FICM-related (mine's the original) but he doesn't think so.

This truck is blowing my mind these days. Gremlins suck- smoking guns are so much easier. After the injectors this thing has run better than it has in ages, especially on cold starts, and now this contribution code....

Old 02-05-2018, 03:31 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
It's not common but even Ford remans will fail out of the box or shortly thereafter.
That slight miss could very well be #5 just slightly shirking it's duties, and typically a hunch proves to be correct with guys that know these engines.
At least it's still under warranty.
I guess the best bet would be to take it to someone with IDS to check them a little closer, but you could always just pull it and tell them it's not 100%, in light of the fact you are a mechanic they likely won't give you any guff about an exchange.
Only bad part is yeah.......it's #5

Quick Reply: 5 injectors later & still has highway speed shudder