2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New idea for ford trucks (or any pickup)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 04:28 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
New idea for ford trucks (or any pickup)

I recently had an idea for a completely new (well kinda) feature that manufactures could start adding to their trucks and that’s rear steering. In the past 1-3 years, there have been quite a few new vehicles that have come out with rear steering. I say kinda new because GM offered this briefly between I believe 02-05 on their trucks and full-size SUV’s. It didn’t sell very well but I think that was directly due to the $4700 price for just that option. In the later years they dropped the price to $1000 but the damage to the stigma around it was already done so that didn’t help much so they dropped it. I think with modern technology allowing it to be done cheaper and better and they offering on far more models, they could add it for around $1500 or so.

My my idea is similar but with a few key differences. I think that they should make this system standard on all trucks and full size SUV’s (expedition, suburban, etc..) because that would lower the cost greatly and really help out the maneuverability of these large vehicles and they might be able to get the price down to just $1000 extra per vehicle. This could be made standard with almost no down sides because nothing on the body would have to change, just the suspension.

But I also have an idea to take it even further. What if they added full degree rear steer? What I mean by that is what if they make it so the rear can turn the same ~39 degrees that the front can? It would cut the turning radius of all of them in half. The problem with this is that GM’s rear steer in the past could only turn 15 degrees because of the wheel wells and you need to maintain at least a 48in gap between the wheel wells in the bed for cargo purposes. But what they could do is add wider fenders like on the raptor or the front of the f450 to both the front and rear and push the tires out to allow it to turn that sharp. It would add only 6in to the width, just like a raptor. This could possibly be offered on all trucks for ~$1500-2000 as an option. This could also do wonders for stability when towing because they could turn in the same direction when at high speeds as well.

So so would you pay $2000 and have a 6in wider truck for half the turning radius? I know I would.

here is GM’s old rear steer:
[img]webkit-fake-url://77594096-c02a-4097-9d9d-18bec0de0c97/imagejpeg[/img]

Old 02-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Hell no. Twice the moving parts, twice the maintenance, I want my trucks as simple and bulletproof as possible. This thing already turns amazingly in my eyes. No need to over complicate something simple.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:32 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I like my rear leaf springs and solid rear axle. It would be like putting the leaf spring front axle from a 99-04 truck in the rear of a new one. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not super keen on it. It's a cool idea, for sure, and I do love the old quadrasteer trucks, but I would absolutely not want it on my truck. If I wanted a tighter turning radius I would be more interested in seeing the F450 front axle and a wider track SRW rear end get some use on 250 and 350 trucks. My thoughts...

Old 02-08-2018, 04:40 PM
theboom
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tricon
Hell no. Twice the moving parts, twice the maintenance, I want my trucks as simple and bulletproof as possible. This thing already turns amazingly in my eyes. No need to over complicate something simple.
It really wouldn’t be that complicated and would make turning that much better and could do wonders for high speed stability especially when towing.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:43 PM
BK39
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally know several service writers for a large GM dealer in Dallas, when they see those trucks pull in the service drive, they love them. Cha-Ching$$$$$$$$$$ there is a reason GM stopped production of the rear steer, and it wasn't because of the added cost slowed down sales.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM
stewy604
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me of the old 4WS days of the Honda Prelude. Agree with the above, there's a reason it was tried, and then pulled from production. It wouldn't be something that I would order, if given the choice.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:51 PM
theboom
Tuned
Originally Posted by NorEasterMA
I like my rear leaf springs and solid rear axle. It would be like putting the leaf spring front axle from a 99-04 truck in the rear of a new one. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not super keen on it. It's a cool idea, for sure, and I do love the old quadrasteer trucks, but I would absolutely not want it on my truck. If I wanted a tighter turning radius I would be more interested in seeing the F450 front axle and a wider track SRW rear end get some use on 250 and 350 trucks. My thoughts...
I get your points. However the front axle on the current f550 has a gawr of 7000lbs vs the rear axle on a f350 srw of 7230lbs. They could easily make up that difference and put leaf springs on or go to coil if people wanted like ram.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:46 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't need any rear steering. Maybe if someone is trying to drive a truck and live in a city they may want rear steering.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:49 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theboom

I get your points. However the front axle on the current f550 has a gawr of 7000lbs vs the rear axle on a f350 srw of 7230lbs. They could easily make up that difference and put leaf springs on or go to coil if people wanted like ram.
the problem is the added weight of all that crap. It subtracts off the GAWR and decreases cargo capacity. You give up too much to gain very little.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:58 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Not seeing too many takers Boom...
Probably only practical for Big Foot, whose budget and mechanics have limitless parts and hours to spend...a daily driver with rear steering sounds like a nightmare to me.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:12 PM
theboom
Tuned
Originally Posted by CBEllis
Not seeing too many takers Boom...
Probably only practical for Big Foot, whose budget and mechanics have limitless parts and hours to spend...a daily driver with rear steering sounds like a nightmare to me.
haha yes so it seems. Just an idea I had. Wanted to see what others think. I personally really like it but it seems I am very much in the minority. Thanks for all the responses so far though.

I will say, like I said in my op, there are starting to be tons of models with rear steer and they keep growing in numbers. And they are “daily drivers”.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Copied from my response in the first thread:

The price drop was due to unsold inventory and parts in the supply line. They lost their butts on every truck sold.

To make this work requires a complete redesign of the rear of the truck. There has to be room in the bodywork to accommodate the steering angles. The entire rear axle has to be redesigned with full floater hubs and CV joints. Plus the steering gear.

Its heavy, it reduces the truck's payload, increases alignment issues, liability issues and maintenance issues. And its expensive.

While the increased maneuverability is good, the costs and compromises are a significant downside. Personally, I don't need the additional maneuverability and don't want the complexity. But then my truck lives on the interstate pulling a heavy trailer.

Additional response: Look under the front and rear ends of your truck. Now consider what would have to be moved to make room for steering angle and then "full steering angle". That's a lot. Packaging is going to be a nightmare and $2000 probably won't cover production costs let alone retail pricing.

I see way more issues than benefits. Most of us are just fine with the current truck's maneuverability. Sure it would be nice to tighten up the radius but I can live with what I have. I am not sure I want the compromise. Its a truck. I want it to be good at being a truck.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:06 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 428 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
Copied from my response in the first thread:

The price drop was due to unsold inventory and parts in the supply line. They lost their butts on every truck sold.

To make this work requires a complete redesign of the rear of the truck. There has to be room in the bodywork to accommodate the steering angles. The entire rear axle has to be redesigned with full floater hubs and CV joints. Plus the steering gear.

Its heavy, it reduces the truck's payload, increases alignment issues, liability issues and maintenance issues. And its expensive.

While the increased maneuverability is good, the costs and compromises are a significant downside. Personally, I don't need the additional maneuverability and don't want the complexity. But then my truck lives on the interstate pulling a heavy trailer.

Additional response: Look under the front and rear ends of your truck. Now consider what would have to be moved to make room for steering angle and then "full steering angle". That's a lot. Packaging is going to be a nightmare and $2000 probably won't cover production costs let alone retail pricing.

I see way more issues than benefits. Most of us are just fine with the current truck's maneuverability. Sure it would be nice to tighten up the radius but I can live with what I have. I am not sure I want the compromise. Its a truck. I want it to be good at being a truck.
I couldn't have expressed it better myself. ^^^

R&D, complexity, maintenance and reliability far outweigh any maneuverability benefits.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:28 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 390 Likes on 261 Posts
If you can't maneuver a truck don't buy a truck. I can already see all the idiots pulling a trailer and the truck dog tracking? is that the phrase? down the highway (front tires not aligned with the rear tires) like a lifted GMC looks lol

Old 02-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thrust angle.

Anyone who has had that issue will definitely run away from rear steer anything. Such a system would have to be fully active with inertia sensors to constantly adjust and keep the rear tracking straight every time the rear end joints wear out of spec. Too much computer intervention and the check engine light turns on. $2000 joint and alignment bill.

All of the simple setups, GM, Mitsubishi, failed miserably. It would literally be easier to hydraulically drop a electric Dyson Ball type thing down to lift the rear of the truck and use front wheel drive while the rear swings wildly into a parking spot. And that's pretty darn weird.

Trucks are designed to maneuver with trailers anyway. Something rear steer would be useless for.

Quick Reply: New idea for ford trucks (or any pickup)