1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Are these sellers on crack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 PM
F-1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'48 $12K?

My '48 incomplete restoration is for sale @ $12K. From what I'm hearing and seeing sounds like it's a fair price. In between and rust bucket barn find and a complete restored truck. What do u guys think. Or...am I better off just parting it out? humm?
My first pic is just prior to my restoration. I had the engine rebuilt, restored the frame, brakes, rear end, trani and steering. Bought new FG fenders, door and window parts, alternator, wiring harness, lighting parts, body and fender hardware, complete new floor pan and firewall and everything I can think of that I've been accumulating over the past couple of years. I think the only significant stuff I can think of that I don't have is the bed and bed sides. Even then I have most of the hardware associated with it.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:54 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
That's an interesting truck, a '48 with a '51-52 dash. Selling an apart truck might be kindo of hard to do. I would look at the truck a big project but there are people who appreciate the work done to it so far and all of the parts that come with.

Dave, your car looks like it was pretty much in the same shape as the one I have pictured. I was going to keep, get it running and stopping and drive it as for a while but I ran out of time, money and room so I had to sell it.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
While it might seem that parting a vehicle will net you a higher dollar, it will take more time and then you will still be stuck with the parts that do not sell. So unless you have someplace to part it out that will be out of the way, and want to be bothered with packaging and shipping the parts, just sell the truck whole.

Just my two cents.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 01-16-2018, 10:35 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
While it might seem that parting a vehicle will net you a higher dollar, it will take more time and then you will still be stuck with the parts that do not sell. So unless you have someplace to part it out that will be out of the way, and want to be bothered with packaging and shipping the parts, just sell the truck whole.

Just my two cents.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed, I couldn't agree with you more. If you can find someone to buy the rusty hulk whole that would be easiest but if it sets around too long the only way to get something out of it by parting it out. I've parted out a lot of trucks and rarely made enough to cover the cost of picking up the truck, driving it back to my house unloading it, advertising (free on CL and here but still takes time) and then finally going out and tearing it apart using electricity and cutting gas. Then sorting parts out and storing until someone comes along who wants the parts. Then you also have to haul the carcass to a scrap yard where you get maybe $10-20 for scrap.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
It would be a shame to destroy a perfectly good truck. Bob is right . . . IMHO your truck would be worth far more if it were put together.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:38 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
That is one of the best "before" pictures of a truck that I've ever seen! It would be a shame to part it out.

Why do you want to get rid of it? Lost your passion? lost your space? low on money? kids, family? don't have time to pu it together? You must know but don't make a rash dcsision. If you have storage, store it until the other priorities are taken care of.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:53 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I was looking, a couple years ago, rotten crap sitting alone in a field with a tree growing through the opened hood was getting (not asking) $3 - $5K. I totally understand Bob's original question. However... I also believe there are a lot of under-valued cars and trucks out there, considering how much work has gone into them. And that's still accounting for an inexperienced enthusiast's time only being worth 15 - 20% of a good shop's flat rate. Just like any other business it's not what you sell them for, the market determines that, it's what you pay for them, up front, that counts.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:27 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
For those looking for a good buy, be patient.

I bought my 55 F350 in April of 2016 for $6000. It needed new tires at $1000 to pass state inspection. I drove it the 4 hours home. As it looked the day I brought it home:

How it looked this past summer,

Old 01-16-2018, 06:37 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
OK, I don't know if all of the guys on the FB page on crack or not for saying these trucks are great deals but there's one guy I know was puffing on a pipe while watching a weekend marathon of "reality" TV car shows. He stated

about 10 hours of body work. 100 of wood panels for the bed ,200 worth of paint , the glas kid and seals. 100 worth of interior. And 400 to rebuild the engine . 150 new harness . A will have tge same truck you have .. and hold on i would have a 35k dollar truck !!!is it worth the 5, to 7k investment .. you tell me . It sells it self .
Remember, this is the truck he is talking about. He's going to make this a $35K truck. I can see if you really bust your butt you might be able to get it into primer in a weekend if you knock the rust holes in and use 3 gallons of mud to fill them and the dents. I had to do some of that type of work when I worked in a couple of body shops when we did cars for used car dealer, but I will guarantee it would not be a $35K truck in a weekend. Not even the guys on the TV shows with all their equipment and hired help would ever offer such an impossible timeline.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
The reason I brought up this subject is I find it frustrating that the prices for these relics which are a little than parts trucks, project starters at best are demanding such high prices is because I think it's wrecking our hobby. How is a young kid supposed to get into this hobby if he, or she, has to dole out a huge amount of money just to get started. I always hear people lament about how the young aren't getting involved in the hobby and it's dying. It's also getting too expensive for older people too. Once on person sees another person asking $XXXXX for the rusty piece of junk that's been sitting behind their garage for 20 years the second guy figures he can ask $XXXX + 10% and it goes on. Most of the people I've run into who are trying to sell their iron oxide mistaken for gold relics have no clue what the vehicle is worth, usually some relative told them they seen something like that on TV going for X amount.

Oh well, who cares? It's just old trucks.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:21 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree the TV shows and also Barrett Jackson are what drive up the prices, everyone thinks they have gold. I am looking for a 1958-1960 F100 to build, found a few, but prices are nuts for non running dead player trucks. I make what I consider more than fair cash offers but they just sit unsold, and it looks like nobody is out bidding me.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I've found many vehicles sitting and checked on prices. Most are to high and I've seen them sit year, after year, after year. I've noticed a few disappear after a few years only to find out years later that they were junked after the owner died.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:37 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
I decided to build my 56/55 as a old usable truck some one would have in the 70's or 80's, to look its age, but not a "rat rod". I have ranted I would not fall into the MAW escalation. Now I have the cab off and have decided to fix the rust. Looks like I am going to have $6-800.00 in just replacement panels! My point is buying a rust bucket will be more expensive than you think. I'm thinking the cheapest stage of this is the initial purchase price.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:56 AM
zmanh2o
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same way on the HAMB classifieds. Way overpriced on most listings

Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
Hey Greg, I can certainly relate. Escalation is difficult to avoid. My purchase price was $00, and I figured I'd be on the road for under $2500. That certainly didn't happen. Rust is expensive, and trucks that are rusty shouldn't sell at the inflated prices we are seeing in this thread.

Jim

Quick Reply: Are these sellers on crack?