Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hutch mod air in fuel still?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 07:10 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Simeon Hinch.
Update: I checked all my connections with soapy water and everything is good. I started the truck and let it idle for a while. it seems to function fine, although it still has air coming into the fuel filter. (I seem to already notice its quieter) I've got 1/4 tank in it now and took it out to drive for a couple miles while getting out and checking on everything frequently. My problem remains, I'm getting air into the system somewhere between my tank and the filter. When preforming the hutch mod on my sending unit I used thread sealant and tightened the compression fittings very well and routed my new return tube all the way right beside my float. When installing my 3/8 line i had to warm them very well, use a 1/2in drill bit to bore out the end a little to fit over the nipple of the old quick connect, and used some diesel to lubricate the hose. If I listen closely to the feed line at the top of the tank I can hear air bubbles in my fuel, and also I can see all the bubbles pouring into my filter. Luckily my bed is off and I have good access to the fuel tank an I wont have to drop it to check out the inside (If i need to). Do you all have any way performing tests or where to look?
I see 4 concerns.

1. Soapy water is only for PRESSURE checks. If you have a suction leak, it will just draw soap into the line, not make bubbles

2. You bored out your hose? You shouldn't do that. Come back about an inch from the end of the hose and pinch it between your fingers while the nipple and hose are lubed with diesel, work it over the end. You can NEVER make the inside smooth again, it will have to be cut and/or replaced

3. What kind of fuel line did you use? You must use DIESEL RATED fuel line. 30R9 is a popular one. The line would be marked but I can only see "Fuel Line" (probably wrong). The 30R9 is an "injector" rated line as well and has a lining on the inside, which you also do not want to damage and be careful not to crinkle or damage when installing

4. What kind of sealant did you use? It looks like teflon, but you want Gasoila. Again, something that is diesel and fuel rated.

Not saying you aren't drawing air somewhere else, but the above are important.

How tight did you make your compression fittings? In my experience, you go until you think you have them tight enough, then go just a bit more

Check your gasket on the Racor to make sure it didn't tear or slice. Lube it with a little diesel before installing. Same with the fuel filter bowl.

Do you have a pic of the installation on the fuel pump inlet side?

The hard lines you connect to between the tank and the pump...I think they are a little smaller diameter, so be aggressive with your clamps

Be sure to take all the previous advice from fellow members as well
Hope this helps!

Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by jstihl
fyi you don't have to reattach a new hose. Just disconnect the hose that you have at the fuel sending unit and drop it into a bucket
Just a thought on this... I WOULD use a different piece of hose simply because you don't want the hose on the sending unit to become "use to" coming off. Once the bed is back on the truck it's a lot harder to address this connection or issues with it.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Just a thought on this... I WOULD use a different piece of hose simply because you don't want the hose on the sending unit to become "use to" coming off. Once the bed is back on the truck it's a lot harder to address this connection or issues with it.
Additionally, he could use that hose that's connected to the sending unit to blow air back into the tank and possibly dislodge what might be stuck in there.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I see 4 concerns.

1. Soapy water is only for PRESSURE checks. If you have a suction leak, it will just draw soap into the line, not make bubbles

2. You bored out your hose? You shouldn't do that. Come back about an inch from the end of the hose and pinch it between your fingers while the nipple and hose are lubed with diesel, work it over the end. You can NEVER make the inside smooth again, it will have to be cut and/or replaced

3. What kind of fuel line did you use? You must use DIESEL RATED fuel line. 30R9 is a popular one. The line would be marked but I can only see "Fuel Line" (probably wrong). The 30R9 is an "injector" rated line as well and has a lining on the inside, which you also do not want to damage and be careful not to crinkle or damage when installing

4. What kind of sealant did you use? It looks like teflon, but you want Gasoila. Again, something that is diesel and fuel rated.

How tight did you make your compression fittings? In my experience, you go until you think you have them tight enough, then go just a bit more

Check your gasket on the Racor to make sure it didn't tear or slice. Lube it with a little diesel before installing. Same with the fuel filter bowl.

The hard lines you connect to between the tank and the pump...I think they are a little smaller diameter, so be aggressive with your clamps

Hope this helps!
John, with regards to the bolded section. I think he's referring to what I did... I used a 1/2" drill bit to create a "bevel" on the end of the hose, maybe a millimeter or two at the most, just to get the hose to slide over that lip about an inch up on the pipe on the sending unit. I've had absolutely no problem with my connection. I slid the hose up to the bend then used 3 clamps there.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
this is true. I forgot what a pain in the butt it was to get the hose over that nipple

Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 PM
Simeon Hinch.
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I see 4 concerns.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much, I wish I had had your suggestions before I began the project.
1. I see, thank you!
2.yeah, I would NOT recommend boring out the hose either. I dont believe its a bad idea to carefully shave out a mil. or two, but honestly, it was just another failure/weak point for me and i wouldn't suggest it either.(Although its a pain to get that hose over the nipple!)
3. Oh man I posted the line i used at the beginning of the thread, i honestly dont know if its adequate and im afraid that might become an issue?
4. It was a high temp. liquid teflon thread sealer. i didnt find any mention of using Gasoila in the hutch mod threads unfortunately until now:/
haha, thank ya... yeah I was not familiar with using compression fittings before this, so I practiced on some and cracked them because i got them too tight at first I think i got the ones actually mounted all good:thumbs up:

Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 PM
Simeon Hinch.
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All right, thank you to all for the help! I found the issue and it has been resolved. no more air!!! Sure enough, i had blockage right at the inlet port (outside of tank) on the sending unit... AS WELL AS air coming in right there because i used a pair of pliers to get the hose on initially which bit through the hose (also boring out the diameter of my hose was a factor is thinning out the hose which made it more weak and the pliers bit through it)
Im hoping that the fuel line i used is acceptable and the thread sealant as well! I'm going to get it mounted and enjoy it! Thank you all once again!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Glad you figured it out! s