Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hutch mod air in fuel still?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:31 PM
Simeon Hinch.
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: I checked all my connections with soapy water and everything is good. I started the truck and let it idle for a while. it seems to function fine, although it still has air coming into the fuel filter. (I seem to already notice its quieter) I've got 1/4 tank in it now and took it out to drive for a couple miles while getting out and checking on everything frequently. My problem remains, I'm getting air into the system somewhere between my tank and the filter. When preforming the hutch mod on my sending unit I used thread sealant and tightened the compression fittings very well and routed my new return tube all the way right beside my float. When installing my 3/8 line i had to warm them very well, use a 1/2in drill bit to bore out the end a little to fit over the nipple of the old quick connect, and used some diesel to lubricate the hose. If I listen closely to the feed line at the top of the tank I can hear air bubbles in my fuel, and also I can see all the bubbles pouring into my filter. Luckily my bed is off and I have good access to the fuel tank an I wont have to drop it to check out the inside (If i need to). Do you all have any way performing tests or where to look?

Here is what my filter looks like...

Last edited by Simeon Hinch.; 01-14-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 01-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
How is your steel suction tube? Is it rusted through by any chance?

Old 01-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Simeon Hinch.
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
How is your steel suction tube? Is it rusted through by any chance?

The suction tube was in great shape. I might try to fill my tank in case its picking up air say at my suction compression fitting? Here is a pic of my new unit setup before I installed it... (note: my pickup foot doesn't have a clamp holding it on in the pic. I installed it after.)

Old 01-14-2018, 02:50 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Someone not too long ago has the same issue, I forget who it was or the solution but...if you fill 'er up and the air bubbles cease I'd suspect that union you have there. I like the pics of it.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:03 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have a blockage somewhere. That is exactly what my Racor looked like when I was chasing supposed "air". You also have some debris in there.

Run the inlet for the filter into a 5 gallon bucket of fuel, bypassing your tank, the pickup, etc.. I bet your problem will go away, confirming a blockage somewhere between the tank and the Racor.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Simeon Hinch.
Yes, absolutely, I just installed it temporarily to hold it in position. I like the way you mounted you orders, do you happen to know what size clamp you use? Also, where did you get the mounting plate, any welding?
I used a 2" square U bolt clamp from Lowes. Since you have the bed off your truck I'd fill your tank at least 1/2 full, just in case your pick up foot came off because you didn't use a clamp. What was your measurement from the top of the sending unit to the bottom of the tube you slid into the pick up foot i.e. How close to the bottom is the pick up?

Here's my thread of recent upgrades that includes the mounting plate fabrication.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-are-here.html

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 PM
Simeon Hinch.
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Colorado350
I used a 2" square U bolt clamp from Lowes. Since you have the bed off your truck I'd fill your tank at least 1/2 full, just in case your pick up foot came off because you didn't use a clamp. What was your measurement from the top of the sending unit to the bottom of the tube you slid into the pick up foot i.e. How close to the bottom is the pick up?

Here's my thread of recent upgrades that includes the mounting plate fabrication.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-are-here.html
Thank you, I’ll check out your thread and get mine mounted correctly👍🏻 I went ahead and filled it all up and still have the bubbles. I actually did install a clamp on the foot, but I took the photo before that I believe it was 13.75inches. (Exactly the previous length)

Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Simeon Hinch.
Freshman User
Originally Posted by carguy3j
I think you have a blockage somewhere. That is exactly what my Racor looked like when I was chasing supposed "air". You also have some debris in there.

Run the inlet for the filter into a 5 gallon bucket of fuel, bypassing your tank, the pickup, etc.. I bet your problem will go away, confirming a blockage somewhere between the tank and the Racor.

Thank you so much man, I’m going to get into that tomorrow, I hope that’s the case! I tried to clean out as much of the rotted and broken old pickup foot, but clearly there was more. Which hose do I disconnect to run that diagnostic? Thank you, directions are greatly appreciated!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Thank you, I’ll check out your thread and get mine mounted correctly👍🏻 I went ahead and filled it all up and still have the bubbles. I actually did install a clamp on the foot, but I took the photo before that I believe it was 13.75inches. (Exactly the previous length)
If you have a short bed, you're spot on. #14 has lengths...http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/conten...utch%20Mod.pdf I would be less worried about the little bit of debris you have and focus on why you're having the issue. If you look at the picture that is the amount of debris I had in a 1 mile drive after finishing just to fill the tank. I've had no problems filling my Racor and priming the system, just as an FYI.

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Simeon Hinch.
Freshman User
If you have a short bed, you're spot on. #14 has lengths...http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/conten...utch%20Mod.pdf
Yep, short bed!👍🏻 Thank ya

Old 01-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Stebs
Elder User
once you get the possible restriction buttoned down, if you think you still have a leak, you can try dribbling some clean fuel on each fitting while watching the filter. If the bubbles clear up, you found the one that's sucking air.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:18 PM
Simeon Hinch.
Freshman User
If you have a short bed, you're spot on. #14 has lengths...http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/conten...utch%20Mod.pdf I would be less worried about the little bit of debris you have and focus on why you're having the issue. If you look at the picture that is the amount of debris I had in a 1 mile drive after finishing just to fill the tank. I've had no problems filling my Racor and priming the system, just as an FYI.
Wow, that’s a lot of debris! Thank you very much for the help.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:21 PM
Simeon Hinch.
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Stebs
once you get the possible restriction buttoned down, if you think you still have a leak, you can try dribbling some clean fuel on each fitting while watching the filter. If the bubbles clear up, you found the one that's sucking air.
I hope I can get it figured out. Thanks for the sudgestions. I’m not sure how to check everything yet but hopefully I can identify it. I’m afraid that if it’s not a restriction somewhere then I have a leak on my sending unit somewhere. Also I don’t think I quite understand how a restriction would cause this issue?

Old 01-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
I hope I can get it figured out. Thanks for the sudgestions. I’m not sure how to check everything yet but hopefully I can identify it. I’m afraid that if it’s not a restriction somewhere then I have a leak on my sending unit somewhere. Also I don’t think I quite understand how a restriction would cause this issue?
You can remove the inlet hose from the Racor, reattach a separate hose to the Racor and insert into a 5 gallon fuel can. Have someone key the pump while you watch the Racor, then start the truck. Bubbles disappear your problem is between the hose you removed and the sending unit. Bubbles continue: the leak is between the Racor and the Pump.
If you left enough hose to bypass the Racor, you can use a 3/8 barb to connect the 2 hoses therefore removing the Racor from the equation. Do you still hear bubbles? Yes, then the Racor is not the problem. No? Then the Racor is the problem.

If you have a restriction somewhere, the pump is attempting to pull more fuel than the restriction is allowing, and you're getting air. Think of sucking water through a straw as you suck up a piece of paper. You'll suck more water than the obstruction allows, you'll have air between you and the obstruction...make sense?

Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
EDIT: Well, never mind. I had started this reply a while ago, then walked away before finishing it just now. I see Colorado350 beat me to it.

As I explained in the text box in the picture, the fuel pump is pulling fuel faster then the the Racor can re-fill. A restriction between the tank and the Racor would cause this. The pump, not being supplied enough fuel, pulls a vacuum on the Racor, and pulls air out of suspension.

To answer your other question, pinch off the hose going from the tank to the Racor. Disconnect the hose from the Racor. Run a piece of hose from the Racor inlet into a 5 gallon bucket of fuel. Start the truck. Look and see if your air/low fuel level problem is gone in the Racor.

Quick Reply: Hutch mod air in fuel still?