rear caliper failure in 2015 Expedition EL XLT

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:22 PM
grandisp
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear caliper failure in 2015 Expedition EL XLT

Hi,
I am new here. I bought a used 2015 expedition EL XLT last January. It is my first Ford. I have been a loyal driver of (insert other foreign car maker here) for 22 years, but needed a bigger car for my family of 6. It has about 48K miles. A couple days ago I started hearing a very very loud metallic grinding sound - sounded exactly like a snowplow on pavement. I got a chance to take it in to my local shop (not dealer) this morning and they said that the driver's side rear caliper seems to have failed. I don't know much about brakes, but they said the right side one is fine (7/32 wear) and the left one the pad inside is completely gone all the way to the backing plate and if you run your finger along it (not sure what 'it' is) metal flakes come up. They said it's very unusual and not normal at all for it to fail like this. I called both Ford dealers in town to ask if there was any kind of recall or extended warranty and they said no. I refuse to go to the dealer unless absolutely necessary as I have had HORRIBLE experiences there, so I am having the local shop do the repair. They said that usually you would replace both sides, but in this case since the right side is almost new they are just going to do the left side (they are doing something to the right side to make sure its even though...sorry, I don't understand much about cars).

I wondered if anyone has heard of this problem in this make/model, or ford in general, or has any idea why this would have happened?

Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I can see that if the caliper slide pins become seized up from crude, etc. then only the inside pads will function as the caliper piston pushes directly on the inside pad. If the slider pins were free, when the brakes are applied, the caliper piston pushes on the inside pad and the caliper would then slide toward the caliper piston causing the outer pad to share the braking action.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:44 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds to me, like the first answer, that the caliper pins got hung up. I assume they will put in a new caliper on that side if the caliper itself has been damaged. Probably new pads on both rear wheels, and if it needs a new rotor (the existing one may be worn and grooved by metal to metal contact), I would be inclined to replace both rear rotors so they wear out evenly. And have the shop check the front brakes for proper lubrication on the pins.

These big, heavy trucks will sometimes wear out brake pads and rotors a bit more often than small cars. Keep an eye on pad thickness and even wear when you have tires rotated (which should be between 6 and 10k miles). The calipers should last indefinitely.

The Expy should last you a long while...
Good luck,
George

Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 AM
FreeWill
Cross-Country
Things break. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I replaced my last set of rear calipers at 205,000 miles, and the ones I replaced still worked.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:54 PM
grandisp
Freshman User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Sounds to me, like the first answer, that the caliper pins got hung up. I assume they will put in a new caliper on that side if the caliper itself has been damaged. Probably new pads on both rear wheels, and if it needs a new rotor (the existing one may be worn and grooved by metal to metal contact), I would be inclined to replace both rear rotors so they wear out evenly. And have the shop check the front brakes for proper lubrication on the pins.

These big, heavy trucks will sometimes wear out brake pads and rotors a bit more often than small cars. Keep an eye on pad thickness and even wear when you have tires rotated (which should be between 6 and 10k miles). The calipers should last indefinitely.

The Expy should last you a long while...
Good luck,
George
Ok, thanks to all who responded.

I wish I knew what had caused the caliper pins to get hung up. A fluke I guess? So they did put in a new caliper, and rotor, and new pads on both sides. They said the right side rotor (?) was still almost new = 7/32 wear - so they recommended keeping it even though they ususally do both sides. I didn't have the dealer do it though. So I guess I got aftermarket parts. Hope that is ok?

Only 2 weeks later and I already have a new issue - going to make a new post about it. Not super happy about my Ford experience so far.