2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Daily driving a super duty

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I drive 30-35,000 miles a year. My past few daily drivers have been:

Infiniti M45
Audi S4
Audi S6

I now drive a 2017 F250 CCSB with PSD and I absolutely love it. The highway ride and feeling of safety is amazing. Cruising range is fantastic. More to your driving style around town driving is actually easier than I thought. I take this truck to downtown locations all the time and I can always find good parking. The elevated ride and better vision are irreplaceable. The growl of the engine is addictive. These trucks are great daily drivers.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing that these trucks have going for them is safety. It's like driving an M1 Abrams. I've been paying attention to the members on this site and others that have been in crashes. 99% of the time they just walk away. The F150 is no slouch in an accident, but the Super Duty has more mass.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RJC2
One thing that these trucks have going for them is safety. It's like driving an M1 Abrams. I've been paying attention to the members on this site and others that have been in crashes. 99% of the time they just walk away. The F150 is no slouch in an accident, but the Super Duty has more mass.
Great point. I was in an accident last week in my 2018 Expedition which rides on the F150 frame. 35 mph hit and it barely moved the truck as I was stopped at a light. Only $3,500 of damage.

I was rear ended at about the same speed in a Infiniti M45 and the frame was bent along with $15,000 or damage and my back has never been right since.

The Super Duty Truck’s are a step above the F150 in safety.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:08 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,193 Likes on 683 Posts
I drive mine daily but living in the country its not that bad. I park in the farthest spots at Walmart or grocery stores and the walking is not bad healthwise either. I drove tanker trucks hauling fuel in downtown New Orleans years ago so driving my dually is a piece of cake.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:21 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 455 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by RJC2
I dint want to get too far off topic but I've never been convinced a heavier truck was safer for its occupants in a crash. More dangerous for occupants of another vehicle sure. I'm someone has studied this stuff, nhtsa or iihs or someone?

Old 01-22-2018, 09:29 AM
BlankSpace
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CCLB 6.2 is my daily driver. My driving habits are mostly like this:

Daily:
15 miles round-trip to and from work at an office job.

Occasionally:
Pulling a 6,400 pound (empty weight), about 7,500 (loaded weight) travel trailer about 8-10 times a year for some family camping. Distance ranges from 30 miles to 400 miles one-way.

The long bed can take some getting used to, but the first time you go camping and put 4 kayaks (one 11 footer, one 8 footer and two 6 footers), 3 bikes, a fire pit, firewood, and whatever other miscellaneous gear you can stuff into it, it all makes it worthwhile.

My big concern was the total weight rating and with 4 kids and camping gear, I wanted to make sure there was enough capacity to safely tow and bring everyone with me in the truck instead of taking 2 cars...which is what we had to do with our 2012 Expedition that I moved up from.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:39 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
We have a 2016 F-150 in the family, plus I have a 2018 Raptor which is a modified F-150. I've had a 2012, 2015, and two 2016 Super Duty trucks, with both 2016 trucks being diesel. I've also owned a 2017 dually for a year, and now that's gone but I'm daily driving a 2017 F-250 diesel.

As a daily driver, it is 100% fine. I drive mine daily. But, some people who are used to driving half-tons hate driving a Super Duty.

The 150 feels light and nimble. It feels fast, and it is. The brakes as much more responsive. The 150 rides much nicer than any Super Duty and also outhandles one. It also gets better fuel economy than any Super Duty.

Really, the F-150 is an amazing machine. If I could have all those attributes in my Super Duty while still sitting up at the higher height and retaining the towing and hauling capability, I would.

The steering is vastly lighter and effortless in a 150. The 2017+ Super Duty has significantly heavy steering, especially when compared to the previous generation Super Duty.

As a daily driver with only modest towing needs, and F-150 makes much better sense. But that said, some people like to sit up high and enjoy the commanding view. I'm one of those people.

I think my diesel is "quick" but it gets obliterated by either of the F-150 EcoBoost engines and especially by the Raptor. A gas Super Duty would be that much slower.

As far as safety, both an F-150 and Super Duty are safe. They share a cab. The F-150 has "tire stoppers" which are bars preventing the front wheels and tires from crushing into the cab in the event of an offset collision. The Super Duty does not have these. The Super Duty has more mass for sure which may be helpful in imparting more crash force to the other vehicle or object rather than being on the receiving end, but in a rollover event the additional mass will try to crush the cab harder than it would in a 150. The higher ride height of the Super Duty also makes it more likely to roll. Frankly, I'm going to be more concerned with my and my passenger's safety in the event of a crash and not buy a vehicle that may be less safe in order to help "the other car" by having less mass. Of course I'm concerned about other's safety in a crash, but that is hardly my priority.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Robb81
Senior User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I dint want to get too far off topic but I've never been convinced a heavier truck was safer for its occupants in a crash. More dangerous for occupants of another vehicle sure. I'm someone has studied this stuff, nhtsa or iihs or someone?
"Size and weight affect injury likelihood in all kinds of crashes. In a collision involving two vehicles that differ in size and weight, the people in the smaller, lighter vehicle will be at a disadvantage. The bigger, heavier vehicle will push the smaller, lighter one backward during the impact. This means there will be less force on the occupants of the heavier vehicle and more on the people in the lighter vehicle. Greater force means greater risk, so the likelihood of injury goes up in the smaller, lighter vehicle."

Crash tests show how vehicle size, weight affect safety

Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Robb81
"Size and weight affect injury likelihood in all kinds of crashes. In a collision involving two vehicles that differ in size and weight, the people in the smaller, lighter vehicle will be at a disadvantage. The bigger, heavier vehicle will push the smaller, lighter one backward during the impact. This means there will be less force on the occupants of the heavier vehicle and more on the people in the lighter vehicle. Greater force means greater risk, so the likelihood of injury goes up in the smaller, lighter vehicle."

Crash tests show how vehicle size, weight affect safety
Thanks Robb81. You put that well. Having worked hundreds, if not thousands of accidents as a police officer, not to mention being a reconstructionist, I have seen first hand the difference mass makes.
On my last trip to Washington D.C. I saw a Toyota Yaris that had been rear ended by a F250. The driver seat back was mashed into the steering wheel with the steering column being bent upward by the Yaris driver's body. (deceased) The back seat wasn't visible anymore. The F250 driver walked away.
If the Yaris had rear ended the F250,,, well we all know how that would have went. Likely, the F250 driver would still have walked away.
Much like gravity,,, Momentum hurts when you're on the receiving end.
Mass x velocity = Momentum

BTW, I have nothing against the Yaris. For a cookie cutter econo-box they do exactly what they're supposed to. Get one from point A to point B, cheap and reliably. However, cheap isn't always the safest.
I've experience spinal surgery a couple of times, so has my wife. We don't like the outcome. Thus, there are two Super Duties in my garage.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:58 AM
BerndV
Mountain Pass
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
This is all physics 101. My insurance premiums went up with the purchase of my F-250 because, I was told, the damage that is inflicted upon other smaller vehicles in a crash is typically more severe and the occupants of the smaller vehicle are more likely to sustain serious injuries. In addition, because of the height of a Superduty, a typical car is likely to impact primarily at frame level, leaving the SD occupants less likely to become seriously injured. A SD involved in a head-on collision with a Peterbilt is similarly going to be asymmetrically disadvantaged.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:18 PM
BlankSpace
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BerndV
This is all physics 101. My insurance premiums went up with the purchase of my F-250 because, I was told, the damage that is inflicted upon other smaller vehicles in a crash is typically more severe and the occupants of the smaller vehicle are more likely to sustain serious injuries. In addition, because of the height of a Superduty, a typical car is likely to impact primarily at frame level, leaving the SD occupants less likely to become seriously injured. A SD involved in a head-on collision with a Peterbilt is similarly going to be asymmetrically disadvantaged.
And the really messed up thing is, ask your insurance agent why the coverage on your Honda Accord is so high, and they will say, "Because your car is smaller, the occupants are more likely to sustain serious injuries."

Old 01-22-2018, 01:06 PM
ERAUGrad04
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BerndV
Well said and 100% agree this is physics 101. Auto manufacturers can do a lot to reduce the impact forces (e.g. crumple zones, air bags, seat belt technology, etc), however, all of that has its limits when faces with a 2x+ disadvantage in weight.

​​​​​​

Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Like gravity, mass is a b itch in an accident.

This is kinda fitting right about now...

Old 01-23-2018, 07:30 AM
triniexr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an F250 which is my daily driver and its my first truck ever. I have no issues with daily driving it.

Only time I do wish I have a smaller vehicle is when I go to places such as the airport or train station that has parking garages. This truck will not fit in any of them. The Toronto airport has a max height clearance of 6' 6" and the train station has a max height of 6" 10".

Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 455 Likes on 332 Posts
We build things a little taller out west, but that's still a good point. I do need to get into a few parking garages, maybe I should check the clearances.

What's stock height in 2017 model year?

Just did some counting and my next truck will be my seventh. Never lifted any if them, but they do seem to be getting taller over time.

Quick Reply: Daily driving a super duty