2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

4x4 VS 4x2... What is turning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 349 Likes on 215 Posts
the more i think about this, with the axle split, and both shafts turning in opposite directions, wouldnt that cause no directional rotation of the ring ,pinion, driveshaft etc ?

Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 PM
commtrd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpynTec manual locking hubs stop all the spin in the front end when not in locked mode. I have not seen any real evidence of a reduction in fuel usage though. Of course my driving habits are not real conducive to good fuel mileage.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
the more i think about this, with the axle split, and both shafts turning in opposite directions, wouldnt that cause no directional rotation of the ring ,pinion, driveshaft etc ?
Until friction catches up. Unless the pinion bearing is extra rusty, eventually it all spins.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 AM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
i bet it spins very little. only a fraction of revolutions in relation to the vehicle speed. maybe ill be proven wrong but when i get a chance ill mount a gopro to see what happens as ive got acess to a couple different type of cad trucks. to avoid any back peddling later, is your position that the front drive shaft will turn in similar revoluton with vehicle speed ? half, qaurter vehicle speed ? one revolution per mile ?

Old 01-12-2018, 08:12 AM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 428 Likes on 240 Posts
Last time Dodge had a good 4x4 setup was in 1993, with the kingpin Dana 60's.

The current AAM 9.25 is junk, from the disconnecting means to the ball joint geometry. The spider gears now continuously rotate instead of the entire carrier, and as many know, those are a plain bearing design. The truck has a plastic actuator housing that's on the tube; easily damaged. Only the lower ball joint supports the weight of the entire truck, ball joints also cycle differently. It truly is a crap-tastic axle. Very little aftermarket support unlike the Dana 60 found under the Super Duty. Wheel bearings are 20% smaller than the Ford units, even on the 'mighty' Ram 5500 trucks.

The copycat design of Ford's three link is also crap, do me a favor and crawl under a 2013+ Ram and take a look at the track bar frame mount. It's about five pieces of sheet steel welded together with not very much bracing, it also isn't easily replaceable like the bolt on Ford unit.

This and the fact the entire truck is built in Mexico is why I won't own a Ram.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
i bet it spins very little. only a fraction of revolutions in relation to the vehicle speed. maybe ill be proven wrong but when i get a chance ill mount a gopro to see what happens as ive got acess to a couple different type of cad trucks. to avoid any back peddling later, is your position that the front drive shaft will turn in similar revoluton with vehicle speed ? half, qaurter vehicle speed ? one revolution per mile ?

I can admit when I'm wrong. No worries. Do it. Record 10 miles at 80mph. I'll bet it spins significantly, just like my Jeep YJ did.

I'm not one of the normal truck chumps with Ego issues. If I'm wrong about this, I'm cool with that.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DSLTRK60
Last time Dodge had a good 4x4 setup was in 1993, with the kingpin Dana 60's.

The current AAM 9.25 is junk, from the disconnecting means to the ball joint geometry. The spider gears now continuously rotate instead of the entire carrier, and as many know, those are a plain bearing design. The truck has a plastic actuator housing that's on the tube; easily damaged. Only the lower ball joint supports the weight of the entire truck, ball joints also cycle differently. It truly is a crap-tastic axle. Very little aftermarket support unlike the Dana 60 found under the Super Duty. Wheel bearings are 20% smaller than the Ford units, even on the 'mighty' Ram 5500 trucks.

The copycat design of Ford's three link is also crap, do me a favor and crawl under a 2013+ Ram and take a look at the track bar frame mount. It's about five pieces of sheet steel welded together with not very much bracing, it also isn't easily replaceable like the bolt on Ford unit.

This and the fact the entire truck is built in Mexico is why I won't own a Ram.
I agree completely.

For a period of time, Dodges front axle came right off an assembly line right next to the Fords far superior front axle. I just wanted to scream in disgust. There's no excuse for Dodges lack of foresight, other than trying to appease marketing and low information truck shoppers that don't want to get out and touch the front axle ever.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:39 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
im glad you brought up crap-tastic junk because its a subject I have some experience in. years ago I had the misfortune of owning a '89 f250 4x4. what a complete pile of crap those trucks were. perhaps the very definition of crap. with its scissor front axle (need I say more), its zf 5sp trans that went through synchros like water and its fuel system that used 2 fuel pumps. likely there was more ccrap-tastic features of that truck but ive tried to wash my brain of all memory of it. the only good thing about the truck ( besides the day I got rid of it and never had to see it again) was that it didn't use reverse thread lug nuts on one side of the truck like some of the other ford trucks of that era. I still recall the first time I encountered fords reverse thread lugs, i asked my dad WTF is this and he replied ;son that's one of fords many brilliant ideas;. I wonder if that engineer is still on fords payroll LOL

im 100% confident ford has every bit as much crap-tastic junk engineered into their trucks over the years as gm and dodge

ive read nearly every thread on this site in the 17+ SD section and nothing has convinced me these trucks are in anyway better than other new trucks on the road today. more cameras... sure. larger sunroof.. probly. seats that vibrate better... perhaps. better truck... nah I don't see it

Old 01-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
The TTI Dana50 was the Pinnacle of Ford's stupidity. I don't blame you for feeling that way.

But didn't you look under the truck before buying it and see that the front axle was made out of a pile of sticks?

Old 01-12-2018, 05:14 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
The TTI Dana50 was the Pinnacle of Ford's stupidity. I don't blame you for feeling that way.

But didn't you look under the truck before buying it and see that the front axle was made out of a pile of sticks?

and to think ford rode that tti horse out for 19yrs or so ?

its been nearly 15yrs since I had that '89. if I knew then what I know now...

Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
There are still people over at Expeditionportal that love the TTI. I just roll my eyes at them.

I could just lock one hub on my F350 work truck. That would be similar to the Dodge setup. Will the diff, just diff out continuously? Or will force get transfered to the carrier, and the drive shaft eventually start spinning? I think I'll try a zip tie, I don't want my gopro getting eaten by snow. I'd like to wait until the ground is dry to roll under the truck, at least.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:51 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 428 Likes on 240 Posts
im glad you brought up crap-tastic junk because its a subject I have some experience in. years ago I had the misfortune of owning a '89 f250 4x4. what a complete pile of crap those trucks were. perhaps the very definition of crap. with its scissor front axle (need I say more), its zf 5sp trans that went through synchros like water and its fuel system that used 2 fuel pumps. likely there was more ccrap-tastic features of that truck but ive tried to wash my brain of all memory of it. the only good thing about the truck ( besides the day I got rid of it and never had to see it again) was that it didn't use reverse thread lug nuts on one side of the truck like some of the other ford trucks of that era. I still recall the first time I encountered fords reverse thread lugs, i asked my dad WTF is this and he replied ;son that's one of fords many brilliant ideas;. I wonder if that engineer is still on fords payroll LOL

im 100% confident ford has every bit as much crap-tastic junk engineered into their trucks over the years as gm and dodge

ive read nearly every thread on this site in the 17+ SD section and nothing has convinced me these trucks are in anyway better than other new trucks on the road today. more cameras... sure. larger sunroof.. probly. seats that vibrate better... perhaps. better truck... nah I don't see it
I agree the TTB wasn't the greatest, horrible to try an keep alignment.

However, when it comes to 4x4 running gear, the current SD blows the Ram offering out of the water, and has done that for the past 15+ years since Ram went to AAM.

I've lived three miles down un-maintained dirt roads for the past 30 years, and I can easily tell you what brand holds up best, and it certainly isn't a Ram truck.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:17 AM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by DSLTRK60
I agree the TTB wasn't the greatest, horrible to try an keep alignment.

However, when it comes to 4x4 running gear, the current SD blows the Ram offering out of the water, and has done that for the past 15+ years since Ram went to AAM.

I've lived three miles down un-maintained dirt roads for the past 30 years, and I can easily tell you what brand holds up best, and it certainly isn't a Ram truck.
sorry i just dont see it your way but for argument sake we'll agree to disagree and you can get back to kissing you clunky vacuum hub, death wobbling, driveline vibrating... err i mean far superior running gear. good day sir

oh ya one more thing before i say adios, other day i was watching 4x4 truck pulling league and 90% of them were using cummins engines. shocked the hek outta me since powerstroke is supposed to be such a brute. i guess not when it comes to competion pulling

Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
sorry i just dont see it your way but for argument sake we'll agree to disagree and you can get back to kissing you clunky vacuum hub, death wobbling, driveline vibrating... err i mean far superior running gear. good day sir

oh ya one more thing before i say adios, other day i was watching 4x4 truck pulling league and 90% of them were using cummins engines. shocked the hek outta me since powerstroke is supposed to be such a brute. i guess not when it comes to competion pulling
Have you talked to those guys? Comp pulling is on average, on a 3rd grade intelligence level, with some decent mechanical skills and way too much money. If you want to use that to reinforce your decisions, so be it. But LOlz, are you for real man? (and the Dodge front axle still sucks, and Dodge should be ashamed, anyone that recommends that axle: Shame, Shame.)

Old 01-14-2018, 08:19 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
Have you talked to those guys? Comp pulling is on average, on a 3rd grade intelligence level, with some decent mechanical skills and way too much money. If you want to use that to reinforce your decisions, so be it. But LOlz, are you for real man? (and the Dodge front axle still sucks, and Dodge should be ashamed, anyone that recommends that axle: Shame, Shame.)
For the life of me, I can't understand why a Heavily Modified Diesel relates to the strength or reliabity to average Joe on the street. I agree with you about the 3rd grade mentality. Proves nothing other than..."If" you throw enough money at it, you can make a brick fly.

Quick Reply: 4x4 VS 4x2... What is turning?