Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1977 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 10:24 PM
myrtlehead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only descent gm engine is anything with that lsx block! Reason being gm did not design it, gm can't design there way out of a paper bag and should have been put out of business in 1978.

Would rather see you install a dutsan l20b engine in that beautiful truck of yours. Use that LS crap for target practice.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 PM
CanadianBuzzard
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A blown LS, oh hell yah! I understand the desire for heritage and brand loyalty but if you are willing to put in the time to bring one of these old crews back from the dead, you can out any damn engine you want in it. Those that want to stay ford power can find their own and just go ahead and do that. I threw a Cummins in mine and it sees WAY more road time than it would have with a 7mpg big block ford. Beauty is in the holder of the keys and wallet so all the power to you and post a lot of pics!

Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 PM
JacobJ
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by benhoopes
I am doing the unthinkable. After going back and forth about what direction I would go I decided to go to a Blown LS3. Now I am looking for a "1977 Ford F250 to LS3 Engine Mounts". Can anyone help point me in the right direction.

If either of you need help with mounts I can help you make them on a cnc plasma table for cheap.
For my 74 Highboy / LS (technically LT because its 2015) engine swap, I made plates for $10 that made it an easy bolt in deal.

Check out pictures here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...boy-4x4-2.html

Old 02-09-2018, 02:40 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobJ
If either of you need help with mounts I can help you make them on a cnc plasma table for cheap.
For my 74 Highboy / LS (technically LT because its 2015) engine swap, I made plates for $10 that made it an easy bolt in deal.

Check out pictures here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...boy-4x4-2.html
Thanks. I wish I saw this last week. I just ordered the universal adapter from Advanced. But if i run into any issues I will definitely hit you up.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Mr.shift
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious about the cost difference between LS and Coyote.

Here is my cost breakdown for the Coyote:
Motor/trans/transfer case from '15-newer F-150 ~$7000
Wiring $1500
Pulley setup for power steering and AC $800
Supercharger kit (Whipple or Roush or..) $7000
That should be 680-725hp.

Everything else would be basically the same costs.
Custom radiator, Custom motor/trans mounts, custom driveshafts, custom intake, custom exhaust, modern digital gauges, etc

The larger displacement LS is definitely going to have more torque and thus be better for towing, but either way, 700hp is plenty and will be a fun truck. I plan to daily drive mine with this setup.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM
JacobJ
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mr.shift
Just curious about the cost difference between LS and Coyote.

Here is my cost breakdown for the Coyote:
Motor/trans/transfer case from '15-newer F-150 ~$7000
Wiring $1500
Pulley setup for power steering and AC $800
Supercharger kit (Whipple or Roush or..) $7000
That should be 680-725hp.

Everything else would be basically the same costs.
Custom radiator, Custom motor/trans mounts, custom driveshafts, custom intake, custom exhaust, modern digital gauges, etc

The larger displacement LS is definitely going to have more torque and thus be better for towing, but either way, 700hp is plenty and will be a fun truck. I plan to daily drive mine with this setup.
Theres a little more to it than that...

Tuning a chevy engine is much easier. Finding someone who can tune a newer ford to run standalone is not easy or cheap. In my 2015 Chevy 5.3 I spent $650 on HPtuners, wired the original harness for standalone for about $200 (including a few sensors) and was able to avoid paying any shops to tune it. It was a headache of course but its running. I called HPtuners and they said they don't have anything to support newer ford stuff.

There are many more (and cheaper) parts options for chevy whether you're doing a rebuild or want different exhaust headers or a different intake or anything else.

I penciled it all out before my swap, and it was roughly $5,000 more to go the 5.0 from an f150 route versus a 5.3 from a 2015 Silverado. Not saying its not worth it, but with the power steering, tuning, wiring, cost of engine and trans, cost of replacement parts if something goes wrong, its a significant difference. I did get a screaming deal on my 5.3, so that was a good chunk of that 5k price difference.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Mr.shift
Senior User
What if you got a "screaming deal" on the Coyote to start with? Like for instance, bought a complete wrecked truck for around $3500, took the parts you needed, and sold the rest.

I know I left a few things off my list (like tuning), but my point is that it probably comes out pretty close. I have seen a couple Ford's of this vintage with LS motors --I have nothing against that. It is always cool to use whatever parts you have to build something no one else has. If you get a deal on an LS, cool. If you get a deal on a Coyote, same thing.

I just want to know if it is really going to cost less one way or the other if the average guy doesn't get a "screaming deal" to force him one way or the other. That is the value of this thread for future people who read it. Personally, I would pay more to stay all Ford.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 PM
JacobJ
Elder User
What if you got a "screaming deal" on the Coyote to start with? Like for instance, bought a complete wrecked truck for around $3500, took the parts you needed, and sold the rest.

I know I left a few things off my list (like tuning), but my point is that it probably comes out pretty close. I have seen a couple Ford's of this vintage with LS motors --I have nothing against that. It is always cool to use whatever parts you have to build something no one else has. If you get a deal on an LS, cool. If you get a deal on a Coyote, same thing.

I just want to know if it is really going to cost less one way or the other if the average guy doesn't get a "screaming deal" to force him one way or the other. That is the value of this thread for future people who read it. Personally, I would pay more to stay all Ford.

You're right that most of the price difference is just getting the engine and trans to show up at your door on a pallet. I paid 2500 for my chevy engine, trans, wiring, and computer with low miles. No transfer case because of the divorced transfer case being reused. I would have gone ford if I would have found that $3500 wrecked f150. But after a few months of shopping around I didn't find any good ford deals.

And as someone with a chevy engine in my ford.... you do have to sell your soul just a little bit lol so all things the same I would have gone ford too

Old 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass

I wanted to stay all Ford. I also didn't want to use used parts and equipment. I wanted to go crate. And the crate Ford stuff that I was finding was more $. And there aren't many businesses out in the Internet world that build crate stand alone harnesses for Fords. I am sure If i went the salvage road it would have been closer.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:41 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
I would have gone the diesel route. More power better fuel economy and longer life. I am nor against a cummins swap, but an LS really.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Mr.shift
Senior User
Haha... if he was doing a diesel swap, everyone would say "you shoulda done BrandX motor, not Brand Y!"

To each there own. I can't wait to see this truck done wither way.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:31 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
There has been some great progress on the rebuild. All of the sheet metal has come off and it is getting prepped for some POR.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:31 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
There has been some great progress on the rebuild. All of the sheet metal has come off and it is getting prepped for some POR.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:34 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
Just got the transfer case rebuilt as well. Turns out it was in desperate need of a rebuild.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:36 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
Made some serious headway on the PO15. Now it is just about ready to start going back together.

Quick Reply: 1977 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed Restoration