Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.0 powerstroke numbers released by Ford

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Not that I'm in the market for a new truck now anyway as I still have a few years of payments left on my '12, but with a $4000 dollar price jump to get the diesel, and only on Lariat and up; this excludes me also. I'm just kinda wondering how many people will opt for this engine? I read somewhere this morning at work that Ford only expects about 5% of F-150 buyers will opt for the diesel.
If I was buying a new one right now I'd get the 5.0. Right now I have the 3.7 and it's really not enough. On the steep hills where I live the transmission needs to a lot more shifting to keep it in the torque curve; and this kills my fuel economy.
I love the 5.0, it's really fun to drive. Not as much torque as the 3.5 EB but still plenty for what I do. It'll do everything the EB will do, maybe just not as fast off the line or up a long hill.

I put a magnaflow muffler on it and deleted the resonator and it sounds like a muscle car. I have permagrin.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:32 AM
LOWRPMTORQUE
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 5.0 is a beast! Ford offers a supercharger kit. On the 2018 it makes 640 hp 600 ft lbs with the factory warranty still in effect.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...arger-kit.html

Simply awesome.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 221 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by LOWRPMTORQUE
The 5.0 is a beast! Ford offers a supercharger kit. On the 2018 it makes 640 hp 600 ft lbs with the factory warranty still in effect.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...arger-kit.html

Simply awesome.
Not that anyone especially cares, but I wonder what the MPG looks like on the 5.0 when it's supercharged? I would bet that a pair of turbochargers (not unlike the 3.5 EB) would provide decent MPG in an unloaded situation, and both more HP and torque when boost is on. Superchargers are great, don't get me wrong, but will be a full frontal assault on any kind of MPG.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:42 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
That little diesel would be nice in a new Bronco or other SUV but I wouldn't want it in a truck- or at least not one that I tow with. 250 HP leaves a lot to be desired especially when the 3.5 eco is 375 HP. Now throw a tune on it like mine and I can haul the mail even when towing..
My truck has over 12k on it and about half of that was towing so I might could pay for the extra $1500 for the diesel fairly quickly but the hp and maintenance costs turn me away from it. On my farm equipment I don't have any option other than diesel but as long as Ford has the ecoboost I will stick with them.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:21 PM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
It looks like Ford's marketing of their diesel will feature it's mileage. I just read an article where they bragged that it will be the first full size pick up to top 30mpg.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jr105
It looks like Ford's marketing of their diesel will feature it's mileage. I just read an article where they bragged that it will be the first full size pick up to top 30mpg.
I think it's bragging about being EPA rated 30mpg in this class.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
My big question!!!!!

Will Ford offer it with a 36 gallon fuel tank or do like Ram and only offer their smaller 26 gallon tank? If it pulled 30mpg unloaded on the highway, you'd be able to run over 1000 miles on a tank. When towing, it would still give great fuel range between stops...which can be important when only wanting to stop at shops with good diesel.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:33 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Why is everyone so obsessed with the 36 gal tank? I can't drive a thousand miles without stopping. Hell, I can't go 500 without stopping. And it's not just bathroom breaks. I have to get out and move around, get the blood flowing in the legs again..... To me that is an option I would not check, as well as the moonroof.....

Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
Why is everyone so obsessed with the 36 gal tank? I can't drive a thousand miles without stopping. Hell, I can't go 500 without stopping. And it's not just bathroom breaks. I have to get out and move around, get the blood flowing in the legs again..... To me that is an option I would not check, as well as the moonroof.....
You must not drive on trips much? I do a lot of trips and it's very convenient to have the larger tank.

For me, It isn't so I can drive for 15 hours straight without stopping. It's so I can choose our stops for better fuel brands, location, or convenience. When towing (which this truck is supposed to be great at) it still gives the same range as being unloaded with the standard fuel tank.

It also gives a bit of extra security. When Harvey hit Houston, my parents had to evacuate. Dad said they barely made it to store with gas because the stores were all sold out....he said he was sweating bullets and will be sure to get the extended range tank on his next F-150.

Apparently, these situations don't apply to you, so you don't understand. That's fine. It's not that we are obsessed, it's that those of us that can benefit from it are still just quite excited that it's a factory option.

Back to the program. The diesel is supposed to be a great towing vehicle, so I'd be very disappointed if it came with a smallish 25-28 gallon tank.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:09 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
You must not drive on trips much? I do a lot of trips and it's very convenient to have the larger tank.

For me, It isn't so I can drive for 15 hours straight without stopping. It's so I can choose our stops for better fuel brands, location, or convenience. When towing (which this truck is supposed to be great at) it still gives the same range as being unloaded with the standard fuel tank.

It also gives a bit of extra security. When Harvey hit Houston, my parents had to evacuate. Dad said they barely made it to store with gas because the stores were all sold out....he said he was sweating bullets and will be sure to get the extended range tank on his next F-150.

Apparently, these situations don't apply to you, so you don't understand. That's fine. It's not that we are obsessed, it's that those of us that can benefit from it are still just quite excited that it's a factory option. You know, Ford used to offer the F-150 with a 48 gallon capacity.

Back to the program. The diesel is supposed to be a great towing vehicle, so I'd be very disappointed if it came with a smallish 25-28 gallon tank.

That bit of extra security only applies to a full tank. I can go ~500 miles on my small tank when full. And yes, I do take road trips.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:32 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the numbers, especially the MPG. I was a bit shocked to see they used a timing belt rather than a chain. It’ll be interesting to see how these sell versus the ecoboosts.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:47 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
Not that anyone especially cares, but I wonder what the MPG looks like on the 5.0 when it's supercharged? I would bet that a pair of turbochargers (not unlike the 3.5 EB) would provide decent MPG in an unloaded situation, and both more HP and torque when boost is on. Superchargers are great, don't get me wrong, but will be a full frontal assault on any kind of MPG.
The supercharger will have a bypass valve to build boost when it is needed. Like a turbocharger. In theory anyway the turbo should be able to get better fuel mileage because it is more efficient and doesn't rob as much power as the supercharger does. But theory is not always proven right in the real world. I'll still put my money on mpg being very close between the two.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:49 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
My big question!!!!!

Will Ford offer it with a 36 gallon fuel tank or do like Ram and only offer their smaller 26 gallon tank? If it pulled 30mpg unloaded on the highway, you'd be able to run over 1000 miles on a tank. When towing, it would still give great fuel range between stops...which can be important when only wanting to stop at shops with good diesel.
I'm sure there will be an option similar to what they have now. Max Tow will get it and if you just want the bigger tank select option 655 !

Old 01-08-2018, 04:12 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts
Lol....I don`t want to look at the final price of a fill up at the pump with a 36 gallon fuel take because I only run premium fuel in my 2016 F150 so i`m glad I don`t have the larger tank.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:16 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Why is everyone so obsessed with the 36 gal tank? ......
I have to get out and move around, get the blood flowing in the legs again.....
A 36 gallon tank means I only have to fill up once a week.
Makes a big difference to me. I hated stopping twice.

I can also drive to Dallas or SA/Austin, run around and come back home on one tank. No stopping at unfamiliar stations or areas.

I can make it home from anywhere in Arkansas.
I can go anywhere in CO with one stop in Amarillo.

Plats have massaging seats to help with the blood flow....

Quick Reply: 3.0 powerstroke numbers released by Ford