1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Wheel upgrade compromise......

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 03:48 PM
6door74
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wheel upgrade compromise......

I want to upgrade my wheels aesthetically speaking. I also don't want to risk anything by going with a wheel not designed for the weight of the van and it's future duties. As such, I think i'll be looking into Alcoa 16" wheels. in the picture of the van in this post, do you think those are wheels or wheel covers? If wheel covers, are they the same or similar to the picture of the listing? Does anyone have wheel covers like this? If so, how do you like them. Do they look cheesy? This may be my way of upgrading my wheels until i'm able to do the alcoa upgrade.

Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 PM
71Choptop
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a '90 E350, want to upgrade wheels, but like you, wasn't ready to spend the big money, like the looks of the newer ford van hubcaps as a look till I was ready, bought a set of ebay, about the same price as the ones you are looking at. They were total plastic junk, backside that you push on the wheel was cheep junk and broke trying to put each hub cap on. If I were to decide to go that way I would buy used ford original equipment caps.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There are factory original Ford forged aluminum wheels that look very similar to those if that is the look you are going for. They are rated plenty high for your van.

In my opinion, it is a waste of money to buy covers if you are going to eventually get nice wheels.
If you really have to have covers, Wal Mart sells cheapies for $25 a set of 4.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:49 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 71Choptop
If I were to decide to go that way I would buy used ford original equipment caps.
Used ones are probably for sale because they are old and broken and already fell off someone else’s van. As a matter of fact if you’re shopping in Central florida you’d probably see 2-3 of my old factory originals that started their exodus at about 7 years old. Don’t buy someone else’s junk. I replaced mine one at a time as they disappeared. Prices ranged from about $35-45 each because I went to a few dealers and got a different parts guy each time. Make friends with your local Ford dealer. They’ll treat you right. Just say” hey man I’d really appreciate any pricing mercy you can offer” and it’ll probably go well.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Used ones are probably for sale because they are old and broken and already fell off someone else’s van.
I disagree. You can find nice used wheels all day long on Craiglist. Most are fairly new "take-offs"(someone buys new aftermarket wheels and tires then sells the O.E. set) that sell for far less than new. You can find many shod with almost new tires too. I've bought many sets this way and have yet to "get stuck" with someone else's junk.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:07 PM
6door74
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you can definitely find some good take offs and junk factory wheels on craigslist. partly depends on the car they came off in addition to the person selling them and their maintenance. Look how many people are out here stealing factory wheels even raiding right from the dealer lots! Take offs are a good deal being OEM quality and getting them 2nd hand is significantly less than buying from the dealer. With more cars going bigger and nicer with factory wheels, this trend won't go anywhere. When i had a 2004 dodge ram, i sold my factory 20's (had 24's on) at a time when money was tight and the guy got a steal. So you can benefit off someone's misfortune too. I just took my aftermarket 22's off my Flex for winter and I'm looking for some 20-22" take offs from a flex, taurus SHO, edge, or some lincoln models.

i've got a set of 18" Nissan titan wheels on my 91 Nissan pickup. Before that, I had a set of 17" escalade wheels on it. Because i could have put wheels from a hummer h3, toyota tacoma/land cruiser/4runner, silverado, and a host of others, my search results was plenty. It was just a matter of price, condition, and proximity. that's why i was hoping f-series wheels would fit because take offs on those would be more plentiful. i'm sure there aren't many nice e350 wheels and i've been looking! i may give these junk caps a go and see what happens. i've spent/lost $70 on worse/less

Old 01-05-2018, 05:04 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by baddad457
I disagree. You can find nice used wheels all day long on Craiglist. Most are fairly new "take-offs"(someone buys new aftermarket wheels and tires then sells the O.E. set) that sell for far less than new. You can find many shod with almost new tires too. I've bought many sets this way and have yet to "get stuck" with someone else's junk.
I was referring to factory plastic hub caps/wheel covers