6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

def in fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Ted62
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
def in fuel

My 2011 Ford diesel engine was running as I pumped .7 gallons of DEF into the fuel tank. I shut down the engine as soon as I realized my mistake (about 30 seconds). Can anyone give me some advise?

Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts
I would have it towed to your house or a shop. Drain tank and drop it to remove any remaining def by removing the sending unit. Change both fuel filters. Then hope for the best. If the water in Fuel light didn't come on, you might be ok.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:27 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,440 Likes on 1,030 Posts
I guess the above is what I would do also.

Be prepared for a fuel system replacement.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts
Also, after cleaning the tank and re-installing, I would add 5 to 10 gallon of clean fuel and then add a bottle of some type additive that adds lubricity to the fuel for lubricating the HPFP.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Ted62
Trailering
Can someone explain to me how the entire fuel system (including injectors) can be contaminated with the engine in idle for less than 30 seconds. How can the DEF get through two filters and two pumps to an injector so quickly? The Ford dealer claims the entire fuel system is trashed about $10k to repair. Do they have a scam going on here? Do I smell a rat?

Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,440 Likes on 1,030 Posts
because the fuel system is a closed loop system. The unused fuel gets returned to the tank.

The fear of def circulating is too great. Even for 30 seconds of idle time.

Ford has determined the best practice is to do a complete replacement.

Now you can gamble and drop the tank, clean and put in good fuel, change your filters and hope for the best, but ford will not warranty fuel related items in the future and furthermore, this may not even work.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:27 AM
Ted62
Trailering
Okay that makes sense.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:35 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The OP has nothing to lose by dropping the tank and trying it. Why replace the whole system on a hunch.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:32 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Purge the lines as well since after cleaning the tank and changing filters, there will be a little DEF remaining. It's more than a few drops that the DFCM would normally filter out.

Our company had an F-350 get bad fuel two years ago or so and it was $9k to clean out the mess and replace the failed HPFP. The recirculating system is why metal bits ends up everywhere.

If the HPFP grenades at some point, I think the only additional step is replacing injectors due to metal contamination in the system vs now would avoid that step. Since it's a huge cost, I agree with the others to put in the effort cleaning out the fuel system the best you can. Drain the DFCM often for the next tank or two and probably change the fuel filters again soon. After that, all you can do is keep driving it and hope you win. Set the repair cost to the side, it could be six weeks or a year. Or never and in that case $10k to put towards a new one.

Being a 2011 like mine, you don't have a warranty anyways.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Jenksie13
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also depends on how much fuel you had in your tank when it was pumped in. The sending unit draws from the bottom so if you were half full or more it's less likely it circulated. Flush all the lines, clean the tank, and swap the fuel filters and I'll bet you'll be fine. May have to replace the driver side fuel rail since it has a couple sensors that could of gotten some def in them. Use a good lubricant for now on and good luck. If it is contaminated claim it on your insurance and just pay the deductible.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:56 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I know two different people who put DEF into their fuel on the 6.7. One of them drove it until it died, and the other one drove it 5 minutes. Different states, and they both had to shell out $9000 to their dealers. OUCH!

Old 01-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since DEF is mostly water - have you tried draining some fuel out of the chassis mounted fuel filter, let it sit and see if there is "water" in your fuel? even if there is "some" I'm thinking that thing is supposed to "catch" the water before it circulates through the system. Is it 100% fool proof? Don't know. If there is no "water" in your fuel after you drain some out of the filter I would totally clean everything out before spending 10k.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:54 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
What to do

Do not drive it anymore. Tow it or drop the tank and clean the lines yourself. Replace the filters now, and in 2 month pull the lower filter and check for metal bits in the filter. Add a lubricity package to the fuel after you fill the tank with good diesel.

Many have done the same thing. If you have a problem shop the repair price. Ford makes a HPFS kit with new everything, get this kit if need to. I think you are out of ford warranty so you have no reason to pay dealer prices.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 PM
Wrighton
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan
Do not drive it anymore. Tow it or drop the tank and clean the lines yourself. Replace the filters now, and in 2 month pull the lower filter and check for metal bits in the filter. Add a lubricity package to the fuel after you fill the tank with good diesel.

Many have done the same thing. If you have a problem shop the repair price. Ford makes a HPFS kit with new everything, get this kit if need to. I think you are out of ford warranty so you have no reason to pay dealer prices.
That’s what I would do, or turn in a claim to your insurance.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:28 PM
strokenboost
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
comprehensive claim on insurance.... don't even bother going to Ford until you have called your insurance company.

Quick Reply: def in fuel