Sponsored by:

Drag strip challenge w/bronco

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 02:55 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drag strip challenge w/bronco

Here's the deal. My brother-in-law has a 99-00? full size dodge and has pressured me 'till i've said OK. He thinks it will take the bronco on the 1/8 mile track - STREET DRAG - he won't do the mud bog with it..........

He has been a pain in the jackass everysince i've took him with my '79 - he was driving his GMC Jimmy.......... and i would beat him everytime we lined up. i just showed up at the track (50 miles away in his home town) and raced him over and over and took him each time down the track. O i did flip the breather on mine to try to get more air...........

Anyway, sorry for the long details, but hey he's the brother-in-law and i want to take him again, THIS TIME.

This time i'm going to take my '96 (5.8) and would spend some money on it in the next few weeks 'cause he's spending money on his Dodge (actually it's in his shop replacing front axle parts) and i doubt it will be complete till then.

I'm considering showing up without top and rear mounted tire to save on weight, don't want to cheat BUT I don't know what else he's doing to his and we have not said we wouldn't do anything.....or not..........

What do you suggest?

Oh, it was funny on the first run when the PA said "you boys need to wash under 'em trucks before running again, looks like ya'll been in the corn field too long"

Old 09-13-2003, 09:07 PM
mongoroach
New User

Take everything out of the truck you don't need.Run with as little gas in the tank as you can.Every 100 pounds you can take off the vehicle is good for about a 10th of a second in the 1/4.I'm not used to Drag racing trucks but some things are universal.If you can spin the tires let some air out of them before you line up,(Make sure you have an air tank or a small compressor for afterwards).If you really want to get crazy pul your belt right before you race,The accesories on the front of the motor rob some juice.Of course run with the A/C off if you keep the belt.Try to make sure the truck has a chance to sit before you run so it's cool as possible.Buy a bag or 2 of ice on the way to the track and before the run put them on the intake.The cooler the air charge through the intake the more power can be produced.And of course make sure your engine is in the best tune it can be.Every little bit helps on the strip......Oh yeah,one last thing...Practice your reaction time if you can.Races can be won or lost by who gets the hole shot.Good luck.

Chris

Old 09-13-2003, 11:50 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster

Chris, Thanks for the tip - i think i'm going to try the ice deal. I'm planning on getting rid of all the weight i can. i wonder if removing the air filter for just the run would make a diff

Old 09-14-2003, 08:53 AM
jsscart
Junior User

I've heard of using a "cool can". Take a big coffee can and some copper tubing, coil the copper in the can then hook your fuel line to the copper lines, fill the can with ice. Keeps the fuel nice and cool the more turns you can get in the can the colder the fuel can get. You could aslo open your exhaust a bit. but too much and you'll lose some tork. Got headers? they might add a few HP. You might be able to rig up some kind of air chiller similar to the "cool can".

Old 09-14-2003, 09:00 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Cool cans work well where they are needed. We aren't talking about a six PSI fuel system here though. I wouldn't jack with my fuel system plumbing on a 96. Just lighten up your truck and go have your fun. Broncos are much better suited to other forms of competition that involve log chains and mud.