2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Locking Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:58 PM
sailorman3
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Locking Hubs

I知 having a bunch of different problems with my 4 wheel drive system on my truck. I知 getting two different error codes when locking it into 4 wheel drive. Sometimes it will say check 4 wheel drive and I have to turn the truck off for it to go away. Other times it says delayed 4 wheel drive, drive ahead. My auto hubs are also not working and when I tried to manually lock them in, one of them came apart. This is the second set of locking hubs installed in the truck. Are there better ones out there that will also lock automatically? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I recommend going to a different dealer. Manual hubs shouldn't just fall apart. IME, there's nothing really wrong with Fords hubs from 1999 on. Warn offers a nice manual hub. I suggest you get your hubs fixed, then keep them locked until you get the other bugs worked out of the system.

The 4wd "pull forward" is normal, especially for 4L. I engage 4wd while rolling slowly usually. 4L while rolling barely, 1-2mph, in neutral. Did "check 4wd" come on, going back to 2wd (no big deal), or going to 4wd?

Old 12-27-2017, 01:13 PM
sailorman3
Mountain Pass
Always going into 4 wheel drive. It happens every time. It痴 winter here and I need 4 x 4 to get to work in snow. I知 wondering if it may be the 4x 4 actuator. I also never saw the delayed 4x4 message until this year.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Sf jakey
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2011 auto hubs never worked right despite many repairs. I gave up on them.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 PM
sailorman3
Mountain Pass
Also I believe you should be able to lock in and out of 4x4 while driveing on the road at lower speeds.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:39 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorman3
Also I believe you should be able to lock in and out of 4x4 while driveing on the road at lower speeds.
Buliwyf is correct, the "shift delayed...pull forward" message is not uncommon nor does it indicate a problem.

That said, your other problems are ridiculous. You can absolutely shift in and out of 4x4 Hi while moving. You can do this on the electronic shift system or even the manual floorshift version (so long as the hubs are already locked in). I've never had issues shifting in and out of 4x4 high at interstate speed. Just make sure you are not accelerating when you shift since accelerating could cause wheel slip.

The hubs have two positions with the electronic shift version you say you have: Auto and Lock. In auto mode, vacuum is applied through a hose to lock the hubs when you command the truck to shift into 4x4 high or low. When you go back to 2WD, vacuum releases, which disengages the hub. Some vacuum is still needed to fully release the hub, however.

The Lock position performs the same function as a manual locking hub and it is perfectly OK to leave the hubs in this position even on dry ground. You might lose a small amount of fuel economy.

What do you mean by "the hub came apart?"

Old 12-27-2017, 01:59 PM
sailorman3
Mountain Pass
My hubs wouldn稚 lock automatically. The truck was in 4x4 but the front wheels were not being powered. So I twisted the hubs to the locked position. While doing this the plastic hub piece that you twist came apart and a plastic disc came out. This is the second set of hubs. They were changed last winter because they were seized. In the summer I never have problems with the auto hubs. It only happens in the winter. I believe there is water in the vacuum lines that is freezing. Also the check 4x4 error . What would this mean?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
"Check 4x4" error means that the microswitch or sensor that tells the ECM the xfer case made it to 4wd, didn't send a signal that it was in 4wd. Maybe it's stuck, maybe it's failed.

How much snow are we talking about? My momo friend just payed me a small fortune, because he had the bad habit of using 4wd all the way to work and not turn it off in grippy sections or turns. Nuked the xfer case and splined shafts. Operator error is a 4x4 driveline guys best friend.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:08 PM
troverman
Hotshot
My hubs wouldn稚 lock automatically. The truck was in 4x4 but the front wheels were not being powered. So I twisted the hubs to the locked position. While doing this the plastic hub piece that you twist came apart and a plastic disc came out. This is the second set of hubs. They were changed last winter because they were seized. In the summer I never have problems with the auto hubs. It only happens in the winter. I believe there is water in the vacuum lines that is freezing. Also the check 4x4 error . What would this mean?
Check 4x4 means there is a problem with the system. One thing I would consider is that I don't think there is any way the system can detect a problem with the hubs (no sensors to determine if they are working or not). But the transfer case is electrically shifted and it can tell if it has shifted properly or not. Perhaps there is a problem with the electric shift portion of the transfer case. FORScan or a Ford dealer's computer could tell you the exact trouble code rather than the generic dashboard message you are getting.

I guess its possible a vacuum line has a split in it, but you should be able to easily turn the hubs from auto to lock without anything coming apart. Could be the dealer did not install the replacement set properly.

I've now had two 2017 4x4 trucks and both were electronic shift on the fly and neither have given me any trouble. I use 4x4 quite a fair amount. It is also very cold here in NH now (-5F last night, -18F tonight) and so far, no troubles. So there is definitely something amiss on yours.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:20 PM
sailorman3
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
"Check 4x4" error means that the microswitch or sensor that tells the ECM the xfer case made it to 4wd, didn't send a signal that it was in 4wd. Maybe it's stuck, maybe it's failed.

How much snow are we talking about? My momo friend just payed me a small fortune, because he had the bad habit of using 4wd all the way to work and not turn it off in grippy sections or turns. Nuked the xfer case and splined shafts. Operator error is a 4x4 driveline guys best friend.
I知 talking 6 inches plus and for plowing my driveway. I drive a snowplough for a city so I have to go to work whenever everyone else is coming off the roads. I won稚 get up the hills without four wheel drive but if I知 on the level at a decent speed I unlock the 4x4. This is my 3rd. F250 and first with 4x4 problems.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:24 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Cool, you clearly know what you're doing then. Maybe it's just a bad actuator or sensor/switch. Should be an easy fix. But if that dealer F'd up installing hubs........

Does it seem like a mechanic error, or just a crappy built hub assembly?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:27 PM
sailorman3
Mountain Pass
Hard to say. I知 hoping a bad assembly. I知 just surprised that Ford uses plastic for the hubs. All after market hubs are metal. I might just have to invest in s set.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:35 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
Hard to say. I知 hoping a bad assembly. I知 just surprised that Ford uses plastic for the hubs. All after market hubs are metal. I might just have to invest in s set.
There are only two aftermarket hub locks for the 2005+ cartridge style hubs. Both are manual locking, they won't work off the vacuum.

One is a cheap junk Chinese copy that looks like the Ford OEM, except the Ford logo isn't present on the dial, usually an unknown brand name or nothing at all.
Bout $90 each, not worth $5 in my book. Stay away.

The other is genuine Warn premium hubs, all metal tri-lobe ****, available in chrome or black. I have a set of these on my new truck, very nice product, but spendy at $350 retail. Look on eBay, they come up for $160-200 every once in a while.

The Ford manual hubs are not bad when used purely as a manual hub, as they are made by Warn. It's the vacuum portion that sucks. (pun very much intended.)

The Ford Auto-lock design is junk, and it's not a question of if it will fail, but when. The vacuum lines eventually leak, and then that affects operation of other vacuum controlled devices in the truck, like climate control vents. Best thing I ever did was rip the lines off and cap them at the knuckle on my 2006.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:38 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Climate control doesn稚 use vacuum anymore...electro-servo now.

The hubs have been updated since your truck, including the way the vacuum operates. Pulse vs constant flow. Definitely could still fail, but I致e had no trouble with mine.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:46 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Climate control doesn’t use vacuum anymore...electro-servo now.

The hubs have been updated since your truck, including the way the vacuum operates. Pulse vs constant flow. Definitely could still fail, but I’ve had no trouble with mine.
Ahh, good to know. I've always despised that vacuum controlled vents Ford used.

Typically, the vacuum fails about the 3 year mark. Depends on how often you trade. I run Ford trucks up to around 350,000 miles before I sell them off.

Quick Reply: Locking Hubs