Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.5 echoboost vs. the 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Mrfun2fly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jjewell
Ok....I am new to this so take it easy on me. I am wandering what info I can get to help me decide between the 3.5L echo boost or the 6.2L. I currently have a 04 F150 Fx4 with the 5.4L. With 145000 mls. And love it and have had no issues. It is a commuter for me and a daily driver. The biggest reason I am looking is I got a 30ft camper. I have towed it with the current truck for 2 years with no real issues. (Other then lack of power) I just get worried with the higher miles....and it's a good work out for her when she has to tow it. I am not breaking any land speed records..lol. I am comparing torque and my 04 is a bit less then the echo boost and 6.2L. So I know to be totally worry free from not having enough power and going long distance I should just go with a diesel... but I have a hard time pulling the trigger on that when I only tow 6-8 times a year. Mainly cause the price tag of a diesel with comparable options to an F150. And I not buying new...15 or 16. Mileage is not a huge concern for me...as long as it's not worse than my 5.4. Which is prob around 12 city. So let me know what input you all have. Thanks.
I have a 2017 3.5 w 3:51 gears that gets 17-19 in town. I also town a 29'TT hit only weighs 3400 pounds. When towing my TT I get 8-10mpg.

Sounds like you're needing something as a daily driver that can tow on occasion. Personally I'd say stay away from diesel, way over priced and repairs in the future will cost a lot more along w the maintenance. So depending on how much your Trailer weighs the 3.5 may work for ya and believe me, I love mine!

Old 06-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Mrfun2fly
Senior User
Originally Posted by Terryd91
I have an 3.5 EB and tow a 34'9" over all trailer that 7100 lb dry 9600 gross. No issues, never seems like it's down on power, I haven't had an issue with sway that some report but this things got a good bit of tongue weight. It stops fine, even with the crap brakes on the camper.
what's your gear ratio and mpg pulling your TT?

Old 06-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrfun2fly
what's your gear ratio and mpg pulling your TT?
3.55, 7-10 mpg depending on wind and speed. I normally tow at 65 mph, but some trips are on country roads at 55 mph which gets me closer to the 10 mark.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 PM
FordRidingHigh
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mrfun2fly
Sounds like you're needing something as a daily driver that can tow on occasion. Personally I'd say stay away from diesel, way over priced and repairs in the future will cost a lot more along w the maintenance. So depending on how much your Trailer weighs the 3.5 may work for ya and believe me, I love mine!
I've never had any problems with any of the diesels I've ever owned. But I've talked to people who were scared to buy diesel saying the same thing... expensive to fix. The F-250's cost more for hourly service charges. Plus have you ever tried to work on an F-250? No fun compared to a low car. In some cases you need to remove the entire chassis of the truck to drop the entire engine. The only cheap diesels are VW's, but who's towing a 32 foot Scarab with a VW?

I can't wait to see when the new Ford F-150 diesels come out. I heard they get good highway fuel economy. Probably a lot easier to work on than a Super Duty.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:25 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
I see tons of 11+ gasser super duties here, they're used by a lot of well service companies and the like. My FIL has one as one of his shop trucks. Some people don't want to pay the premium for the diesel.

The majority of super duties sold here are gasoline, even more so when you move to the F-450/F-550 trucks. I work for a truck upfitter and since 08 more and more companies have moved away from diesel here. The cost savings up front, less time in the shop, less maintenance, can idle forever has all added up to fleets changing out 200-300 truck fleets from diesel to gas.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:30 PM
FordRidingHigh
Junior User
Out of all of the dealers I've visited in South Florida, they all sell diesel. What are they using gas Super Duties for that they can't do with an F-150?

Old 06-15-2018, 01:40 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by FordRidingHigh
Out of all of the dealers I've visited in South Florida, they all sell diesel. What are they using gas Super Duties for that they can't do with an F-150?
It all depends on the customer, but for starters snow plowing, hauling heavy payload, towing 10,000lbs nearly daily. The needs of southern Florida are a tad different then Alaska. Do you know how a diesel engine acts in -40f ambient temps compared to a gasoline engine, or how much heat one puts out vs the other in arctic conditions?

Take a look at this thread I started that shows some of the work we do. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-the-shop.html

Yes, for some applications a small amount of customers have stepped down to a 1/2 ton, but there are many who can't or won't due to the EPS, Auto start stop and other new tech that they don't trust.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:11 PM
FordRidingHigh
Junior User
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
It all depends on the customer, but for starters snow plowing, hauling heavy payload, towing 10,000lbs nearly daily. The needs of southern Florida are a tad different then Alaska. Do you know how a diesel engine acts in -40f ambient temps compared to a gasoline engine, or how much heat one puts out vs the other in arctic conditions?
Aha! That would explain it. I didn't know that you were in such a cold climate. Yeah, diesel wouldn't be too fun to start in -40F. Even running Amsoil, starting a diesel engine every day in such a cold environment is probably hard on the starter and batteries I would imagine.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:04 PM
ejb69
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I choose a gas F250 over a 150 because an F150 would need to have the max towing and load packages. to meet my needs. When I priced out the f150 with the optional HD stuff , the price was nearly the same as a 250 .And, I would have needed to order out the 150. Plus, my local dealer had a couple of F250s in stock that fit my wants / needs.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
One thing I commonly see in these types of threads is that people often don't seem to factor in the resale value of a diesel verses a gas. Yes, you’ll pay more for the diesel up front BUT you’ll get substantially more for your diesel then you would a gas when you go to sell/trade it in the end. As an example, just yesterday i was looking at f250’s on Craigslist and comparable 2 year old used f250’s were $10k difference between gas/diesel.

The one thing I HATE about a gas engine pulling a heavy load is it sounds like the dang thing is gonna implode whenever you need serious power. The diesel just yawns and goes on as if it was just woke up from a nap. You’ll pay more at the front and get more at the end. It equals itself out IMO. And in between, it’s a whole lot more pleasurable pulling with a diesel.

But out of your two options, I’d go with the 6.2. No replacement for displacement.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:12 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoteman
One thing I commonly see in these types of threads is that people often don't seem to factor in the resale value of a diesel verses a gas. Yes, you’ll pay more for the diesel up front BUT you’ll get substantially more for your diesel then you would a gas when you go to sell/trade it in the end. As an example, just yesterday i was looking at f250’s on Craigslist and comparable 2 year old used f250’s were $10k difference between gas/diesel.

The one thing I HATE about a gas engine pulling a heavy load is it sounds like the dang thing is gonna implode whenever you need serious power. The diesel just yawns and goes on as if it was just woke up from a nap. You’ll pay more at the front and get more at the end. It equals itself out IMO. And in between, it’s a whole lot more pleasurable pulling with a diesel.

But out of your two options, I’d go with the 6.2. No replacement for displacement.
Now this is a funny statement in bold. Ford already showed us that a twin turbo 3.5L is a direct replacement for the 6.2L in the F-150. What size engine would you need to replace the turbo 6.7L diesel? Well, it wouldn't fit in a light truck. The V10 didn't do it and the new 7.3L gasser ain't gonna do it.

Turbos have been the replacement for displacement for many decades.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:16 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Yep, we should all just go back to 500+ cid engines, because that's the only way to make power....

Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordRidingHigh
I wonder what they use them for? Could they not accomplish the same tasks using an F-150 instead of a Super Duty?
Couldn't tell you. Most are fleet vehicles. Dominion Energy, for example, uses a lot of Super Duties for their field service trucks and most of them have utility beds on them. And, as I said I see a lot of well service companies using them as well, sometimes with utility beds, sometimes not. I work for a surveying company, I think we have 2, maybe 3 3/4-1 tons in our fleet but 98% of our company trucks are half tons or smaller (Frontiers, Canyon/Colorado).

Maybe they prefer the heavier duty solid front axle? I'm not sure, sometimes those guys have to go up through some rough terrain to get to the areas they need to go.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:06 PM
FordRidingHigh
Junior User
Originally Posted by ghunt
smaller (Frontiers, Canyon/Colorado).
Those are all okay. I've driven them all. I thought the Frontiers felt pretty sold inside. Great build quality and lots of low end torque. A friend of mine just crashed his GMC Canyon and replaced it with a Colorado.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Samsonsworld
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Taurkon
Have you pulled through any mountains? My 14" EB really struggled in the Alberta and BC Rocky Mountains, and we won't even talk about the gas mileage. However, on the more open flat roads, that engine was king... until I moved to a 6.7 but that really does not count in this discussion.
You're talking apples to oranges. Go try that with N/A engine and get back to me on your definition of 'struggle'.

Quick Reply: 3.5 echoboost vs. the 6.2L