1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Normal upgrades vs bigger injectors,turbo, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 11:11 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
My problem (hesitation) is that I am still on stock injectors and don't know how the KC38R will fit in the system. I have been told the Garrett 38R does just fine with stock injectors, so I believe the KC38R would do the same or better, but it is an expensive gamble, at least in my neck of the woods.

Definitely something to think about though.
I would give Charlie a call or email him with your question. I personally would think with proper tuning their wouldn't be a problem.

When I was researching the T4 or drop in on another site their were a few people running a 366 T4 with stock injectors with no problems.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:17 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
My problem (hesitation) is that I am still on stock injectors and don't know how the KC38R will fit in the system. I have been told the Garrett 38R does just fine with stock injectors, so I believe the KC38R would do the same or better, but it is an expensive gamble, at least in my neck of the woods.

Definitely something to think about though.
I'll send you my shipping address and I'll let you know how your KC38R works with the 160/80 injectors. Then you'll know... LOL!

Old 12-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I'll send you my shipping address and I'll let you know how your KC38R works with the 160/80 injectors. Then you'll know... LOL!
Now that would be nice.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:42 PM
POWER-RANCH
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a good start on putting in the gauges this afternoon. BUT, where are you guys putting the transmission temp sensor? I don't really like the looks of the "clip over line" setup.

I saw on a youtube video earlier that a guy put it in the spot of a plug on the drivers side of the transmission. (automatic).

Pics would help.

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2017, 05:46 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by POWER-RANCH
I got a good start on putting in the gauges this afternoon. BUT, where are you guys putting the transmission temp sensor? I don't really like the looks of the "clip over line" setup.

I saw on a youtube video earlier that a guy put it in the spot of a plug on the drivers side of the transmission. (automatic).

Pics would help.

Thanks!
The test port on the drivers side of the transmission. (Automatic)

Old 12-17-2017, 05:58 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User

Pics would help.

Thanks!
Keep in mind the test port your not getting an accurate temp of the fluid. Your actually also getting the heat soak from the case.

I bought a steel pan " Derale performance " It has a bung for the temp sensor. It costed me 100.00 and also added seven extra quarts.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:01 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's difficult getting a good pic after dark but...
In the top right of the pic you see my sensor on the driver's side installed in a pressure test port. The left side of the pic shows the front corner of the pan to help you locate the port.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:03 PM
POWER-RANCH
Freshman User
Ok I think that is the same spot on the video i watched.
Im guessing Isspro's sensor is threaded the same to mount at that spot?

I wasn't sure how complicated the install would be, but everything is going pretty smooth so far.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 PM
POWER-RANCH
Freshman User
Also how many of yall are running dual EGT probes but only running on one gauge switching back and forth between them?

Good idea? any better ideas?

I had already ordered the kit when I read on here it is better to have both sides monitored when running bigger sticks and turbo

Old 12-17-2017, 06:08 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Ok I think that is the same spot on the video i watched.
Im guessing Isspro's sensor is threaded the same to mount at that spot?

I wasn't sure how complicated the install would be, but everything is going pretty smooth so far.
Yes the sensor threads right in. That is the location recommended by Mark, the former Ford auto tranny engineer.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:46 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
I found Mark's recommendation on the sensor location.
Post #4 of this thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-gauge.html

Old 12-17-2017, 07:47 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also how many of yall are running dual EGT probes but only running on one gauge switching back and forth between them?

Good idea? any better ideas?

I had already ordered the kit when I read on here it is better to have both sides monitored when running bigger sticks and turbo
I’m running Dual EGT gauges and they read the same. It’s only useful if something is wrong. Ever since I went with an SXE turbo, I have no more use for the pyros.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:19 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by The Brad
I’m running Dual EGT gauges and they read the same. It’s only useful if something is wrong....
Same here... but something is intermittently wrong in my engine. I have something on the driver's side that is not quite right, and the left gauge dips when it happens. I can feel it, hear it, and see it on the gauge... but it's too intermittent right now to nail it with troubleshooting. All I can say is if it weren't for the dual EGTs, I couldn't even narrow it down to which side the problem is on.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:23 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
Same here... but something is intermittently wrong in my engine. I have something on the driver's side that is not quite right, and the left gauge dips when it happens. I can feel it, hear it, and see it on the gauge... but it's too intermittent right now to nail it with troubleshooting. All I can say is if it weren't for the dual EGTs, I couldn't even narrow it down to which side the problem is on.
I see a round of musical sticks in your future.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:50 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Originally Posted by The Brad
I see a round of musical sticks in your future.
+1 LOL

Quick Reply: Normal upgrades vs bigger injectors,turbo, etc...