PCV hose woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Deagle12
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PCV hose woes

Hi guys,

For the past couple weeks I've been asking for a part number for a PCV hose (elbow?), but haven't gotten any responses. It is the hose on top of the pcv. (The other two hoses are the heated hoses.)

From what I found here, and on Rockauto, the only option is Dorman 46025. It clearly says for ford 6.8 pcv elbow. However, I really don't see how in the world this is the right part.

To add to confusion, the current hose in question has a sticker with p/n YC3E(could be F)-6C324-BA which shows up nowhere.

Can someone guide me in the right direction here?

Edit: a little more searching and it seems like I may be missing the elbow? Could I just replace that hose with regular 3/8" pcv hose?

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The part you are holding in your picture is for the other end of the PCV hose that connects under the throttle body.
This thread does not say what year model V10 you are working on, but when I look up mine on Rock Auto it shows a 90° fitting for use at the PCV valve end.

I myself do not get the need to have a 1" hose that eventually necks down to 1/2" at the PCV valve. The PCV valve itself is going to be the choke point. I am sure there is some reason it was engineered that way, but mine appears to be doing just fine with an adapter at the throttle body to a smaller hose over to the PCV valve.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Deagle12
Senior User
Thanks, so I do have this part on my engine? It's a 2000 excursion. The elbow is basically on the other end of the hose I highlighted (just out of frame where it connects to throttle body)?

I don't see any elbow there, that hose currently just connects to the throttle body without an elbow it seems.

So can I just replace the hose with regular pcv hose? Is it 3/8"?

Old 12-06-2017, 01:03 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Deagle12
... So can I just replace the hose with regular pcv hose? Is it 3/8"?
The PCV valve is 3/8".
On our 2002 the was a hose, plastic tubing and an elbow.
The tubing can break with age and the elbows are all just hose, not reinforced.
I rebuilt mine with brass adapters and reinforced oil rated hose.

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Deagle12
Senior User
Thank you R&T Babich

It looks like I'm missing something then. I thought the hose from the PCV went straight to a connector on the passenger side of the throttle body. I'll have to trace it and figure out the rest of the "plumbing" now that I've got a full picture.

Right now I know that hose itself is getting crackly. So I guess if everything else is good I will only need some 3/8" hose to replace that. But if the elbow/plastic tubing looks bad I'll have to fix that too. I'll try to locate it.

Do I need to take anything apart? The elbow is underneath the throttle body or behind it? Is it accessible without taking anything apart?

Old 12-06-2017, 04:02 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Deagle12
Thank you R&T Babich

It looks like I'm missing something then. I thought the hose from the PCV went straight to a connector on the passenger side of the throttle body. ...
Your aren't missing anything.
I think your year V10 has the single hose from the PCV valve to the throttle body, like every other car I've owned,
The 2002 V10 OEM line has 2 connections to the throttle body and I have not found any particular reason why, so I plumbed it the same as OEM.
Your elbow may be under the front of the throttle body, mine is on the rear.
Not sure if you have to remove anything to get to the elbow, it should push on and pull off.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:41 PM
billybobofkf
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 99 F350 has a single hose like what you are holding in the picture. When I replaced mine, Napa did not have the part listed, I just went through their stock and found a hose that would work. Haven't had any issues with it in over a year.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:59 PM
jhcorley
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have a schematic for PCV system? I want to trace mine to make sure all is connected properly.

2003 V10

Thanks

Old 12-19-2017, 02:36 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jhcorley
Anyone have a schematic for PCV system? I want to trace mine to make sure all is connected properly. ...
The PCV system is fairly straightforward.
The PCV valve sits in a grommet in the passenger valve cover and has a hose connecting it to a port on the throttle body where engine vacuum is sucking air.
The driver's valve cover will have a fitting with a hose to the air cleaner assembly for fresh filtered air.
Our 2002 Excur has 1/4" coolant hoses with fittings around the PVC valve and throttle body fitting for heating.
The lengths of the hoses are not significant, so if replacing a hose, now is a good time to add/reroute a line to make it easier to get to the spark plugs.
Any reinforced oil rated hose will be far superior to the OEM PCV hose.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Deagle12
Senior User
Just to update, I was able to return the elbow I bought and I just got some bulk PCV hose for $1.50 and replaced the problem hose. It's that hose that always gets ripped, and there's a video on YouTube with the grandpa explaining it. What confused me is I guess most people have an elbow there that you need to get the right part for, but on mine all it was was straight pcv hose line. It's a 2000 excursion by the way.
There's also a video of a guy replacing the entire assembly including coolant hoses. Which seems completely unnecessary if all you are trying to replace is the problem spot. That assembly is like $50 or something.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Twonky
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone know if the coolant lines warming the PCV valve are 1/4" ID or OD? My guess is ID but I'm just checking cuz I can't find any specs on it.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:33 AM
Shumate08
New User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Im having the same issue on my 1999 f250 superduty v10 triton gas. 6.8 l Its one hose but 2 different sizes. Smaller at the throttle and widens at the valve area. I can only find the elbow. If someone can gove me a link or part number for this crazy hose. I'm not a mechanic. So please dumb it down if you can

Old 07-31-2021, 08:23 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Shumate08
.... Its one hose but 2 different sizes. Smaller at the throttle and widens at the valve area. I can only find the elbow. ....
I replaced ours with fuel hoses and brass hose connectors. The brass connectors are available with different hose barbs on each end or 90 deg elbows. The OEM PCV hoses are usually
hose that has no reinforcing nylon mesh inside like fuel hose has so the fuel hose will last a lot longer. The end that connects to the throttle body sees more heat so if the first few inches
were silicone hose it probably would last even longer. I have changed all the vacuum lines to silicone hose and have not had any of those go bad.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:13 PM
Shumate08
New User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks we will try this. The hose i got from the parts store keeps collapsing on the intake side. I looked at doorman 46087 , would that hose work if i use the original pipe inserts on each end?

Old 08-01-2021, 10:45 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my opinion..I would do absolutely anything and everything to avoid any Dorman product.

The following 2 users liked this post by truckfella:

Quick Reply: PCV hose woes