1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bed Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 05:53 PM
barrnone51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Location

I have been Looking for a diagram of the mounting of the bed. I know there are some cross members to go in. Everything is apart and don't look like any
cross members. If anyone could lead me in the direction would be Great! Or even a pic before you installed your wood or what ever..
Thanks George

Old 12-04-2017, 09:05 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
george...

go to Midfifty.com and look in the instruction pages... good detailed info there... also
Mar-k.com and click on tips and tricks for details... basically you have 4 crossmembers.
front one (z shapedx) is bolted to the front panel of the bed... two more U shaped go in the middle and a larger one holds the two bed sides together at the back... let me gather some pics and I'll get back to you

john

Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
maybe this will help... don't know what pieces you have or don't have
basically you need the front and two side panels for the bed and a tailgate.

under that are the crossmembers... and between the two is the bed wood.

the bed wood is held together and to the sides by carriage bots and steel strips\
the whole assembly is held to the truck by 4 carriage bolts thru the bedwood and 2 hex bolts thru the rear crossmember... the pics on the mid 50 site will show this\

I built mine on a frame I built that matched the frame rails... so it's a little different in the pics.... and I had wheel tubs which moved the two middles..

read thru all the instructions on both sites and look in the catalog for pictures... it will clear up some questions... and if I can do it... you can too

john

Attached Images     
Old 12-05-2017, 06:45 AM
barrnone51
Freshman User
Thanks John for the info. Very Helpful!! And that Truck of yours is outstanding!!
George

Old 12-21-2017, 01:46 PM
barrnone51
Freshman User
Bed Placement cross sills

I got some cross sills in for mounting the bed. I placed them where they should go. Then I took a straight edge and the center cross member is about
a inch to high. I don't believe that any blocking should be there or should it.
I know chevy beds have a block at the rear sill. Not a big deal just wondering
if any one had that issue. Also There was a c notch put in and they over built so again that area has to be addressed a little to high. George

Old 12-22-2017, 09:16 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Cleaned up the bed attaching by securing the cross members with using the OEM type fasteners/bolts but putting them underneath the boards . A slight recess was made on the bottom of the boards to let the board sit flush w/ the " cross members on "Art" the hot rod truck . On the "Firstride " it was done as at the factory .

Attached Images     
Old 12-22-2017, 09:25 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Did you ever sell your Taylor Tot stroller? It looks to be in great condition. Did you buy it that way or refinish it?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:35 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Using an edge protector where the tailgate makes contact is a good idea. I've probably seen it before, but as other information entered my limited brain it pushed that out.

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2017, 11:36 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Using an edge protector where the tailgate makes contact is a good idea. I've probably seen it before, but as other information entered my limited brain it pushed that out.
Did the exact same thing on "Art " Wait a minute . After further inspection of the pic that is "Art " Duh !

Old 12-22-2017, 11:50 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by abe
Did you ever sell your Taylor Tot stroller? It looks to be in great condition. Did you buy it that way or refinish it?
This was the second one that was restored here at Strictly Custom and was a restoration from leftover parts + another one from the first resto. . The 1st one was a '53 Taylor Tot that our race car sponsor had when he was a baby . He brought it to me disassembled in a box as a mess of rusted old parts & said " I would like you to restore this for me as it is very close to my heart as it was the same one I had as a baby " Looked back at him some what stunned & said " Really ? " He said " Just do it " as he knew I did Nylint toy restos & furniture restorations . He had over $700.00 in it by the time it was done . It sits on his entertainment center in the living room of his house .

The one pictured spent a few shows in the back of the "Firstride" as a period correct item & a very often conversation piece .Sold it to a person in Wash state for $400.00 . Had way more in it but needed a new home .

Old 12-22-2017, 01:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by firstrider
This was the second one that was restored here at Strictly Custom and was a restoration from leftover parts + another one from the first resto. . The 1st one was a '53 Taylor Tot that our race car sponsor had when he was a baby . He brought it to me disassembled in a box as a mess of rusted old parts & said " I would like you to restore this for me as it is very close to my heart as it was the same one I had as a baby " Looked back at him some what stunned & said " Really ? " He said " Just do it " as he knew I did Nylint toy restos & furniture restorations . He had over $700.00 in it by the time it was done . It sits on his entertainment center in the living room of his house .

The one pictured spent a few shows in the back of the "Firstride" as a period correct item & a very often conversation piece .Sold it to a person in Wash state for $400.00 . Had way more in it but needed a new home .
My wife and I bought one probably 30+ years ago at a flea market for around $25 long before we had our son. My mom used one like it for us kids. I have a picture of my little sister in it with me standing next to it by our corn crib. Mine was in good shape but unrestored. It was a bit newer than yours as the handle rods did not meet in the middle. The handle rods came straight back.

I had it listed on Craigslist but no takers and then sold it on ebay a few years ago for about $175 plus shipping.