2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Retrax Pro MX vs American Work Cover (Jr.)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 03:57 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TufLuk13
I just ordered a Pace Edwards Tonneau. Its the only power retractable option out right now for the 8 foot bed from what I've been told. I will post up when I get it and leave a short review.
I wonder why power retractable 8' tonneau are such a rarity...it would seem there would be plenty of demand.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:43 PM
TheLex
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered a Pace Edwards Tonneau. Its the only power retractable option out right now for the 8 foot bed from what I've been told. I will post up when I get it and leave a short review.
Please do. I'm quite interested in the quality of the Pace Edwards powered cover.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:49 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLex
Please do. I'm quite interested in the quality of the Pace Edwards powered cover.
^^^ 2X Thanks!

Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 AM
TufLuk13
Senior User
Originally Posted by First Dually
I wonder why power retractable 8' tonneau are such a rarity...it would seem there would be plenty of demand.
Thats how I felt too. The truck has been out long enough to have made the size too.

Originally Posted by First Dually
^^^ 2X Thanks!
I am too haha I'll let you guys know what I think when it shows up and I get it installed.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I still can't decide between the American Work Jr. and the Retrax Pro MX. I like the idea of having a tool box (even though the Jr. is small, it still can hold most of what I would want to carry in the way tools, tie down straps, air hose, etc.) but the cost of the box in comparison to just the cover is ridiculous.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Still debating on this. Does anyone have any photos of a short bed with the American Works Jr.?

Learned today that American Works uses tape on the bottom of their cover to seal the joints.....which then sends more water into the tracks in comparison to Retrax.....and I guess explains why American Works has the two additional drain lines at the tailgate. I've been wondering if you truly need those drain lines as I do not want to drill holes in the truck.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:38 AM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Pickupman2004
Still debating on this. Does anyone have any photos of a short bed with the American Works Jr.?

Learned today that American Works uses tape on the bottom of their cover to seal the joints.....which then sends more water into the tracks in comparison to Retrax.....and I guess explains why American Works has the two additional drain lines at the tailgate. I've been wondering if you truly need those drain lines as I do not want to drill holes in the truck.
There are existing holes near the top of the bed supports. I am planning on running a 90* fitting with a short piece of hose through the bed holes. The size of the bed hole is about 1/2" but should be more than enough to drain the accumulated water from an average storm.

The only thing I don't like about the TCUSA so far is they tapped the barbed fittings into the rail with a 3/4''-10 tpi, so it's not standard pipe thread.

Other than that, the new truck has been to work for a month and the cover has met expectations for proper operation in dusty rough environments. Hasn't rained yet so no comment.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM
~erik~
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I just have the TCUSA roll cover, no tool box, but the rails and drains are the same. Here's how I ran my rear ones:

Left one needed the 90° fitting to get above the bed light switch.

Right one has more room to run the hose, but used an elbow anyway to match the other side.

I saw the existing holes, but they seemed too high relative to the drain fitting, it was easy to drill new and larger holes in the aluminum to accommodate both the hoses and the grommets.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 AM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by ~erik~

I saw the existing holes, but they seemed too high relative to the drain fitting, it was easy to drill new and larger holes in the aluminum to accommodate both the hoses and the grommets.
[/I]
That's the issue with the TCUSA barbed fittings, they must make their own because the thread is bolt style thread, not NPT.

I'm tempted to just get a close sized 3/4'' NPT fitting with a 1/2" 90* barb and just thread it into the rail. Should hold if I use an ABS plastic material with some silicone.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:24 AM
TufLuk13
Senior User
I have my Pace Edwards Electric tonneau, waiting to install tonight or tomorrow whenever I have time and then I'll post up. Install should be a breeze from what I've seen but haven't had time to install yet.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 PM
TheLex
Elder User
I have my Pace Edwards Electric tonneau, waiting to install tonight or tomorrow whenever I have time and then I'll post up. Install should be a breeze from what I've seen but haven't had time to install yet.
Please post your results! The Pace Edward electric cover is about the same cost as the manuals from other brands.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:33 PM
TufLuk13
Senior User
Please post your results! The Pace Edward electric cover is about the same cost as the manuals from other brands.
Pace Edwards Electric Cover is about the same price as all the other brands out there. https://paceedwardsdirect.com/pace-e...blfa19a45.html

Retail at 2808. I paid 1959.88 shipped to my door. This is part number (PAE) BLFA19A45

Retrax and Truck covers version of the same cover are cheaper. The only one more expensive is the Truck covers version that has a toolbox as well. The Pace Edwards kit is the only available electric tonneau that will fit the F450.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:03 PM
TufLuk13
Senior User
Well I have installed my Pace Edwards Tonneau and I couldn't be happier. I only have one dark picture so far and no video. It snowed here in GA. Some areas got up to a foot. I measured at some point and seemed like we got 9" of snow which the tonneau supported with no problems at all. It also seems to have stayed incredibly dry inside. Way more dry than my BakFlip used to.

Its nice having the electric open and close key fob. I also got the switch to install at the tailgate in case I don't have the fob on me and want to open or close the tonneau. That was an additional part I had to order. Found it for 47 bucks from 4 wheel parts I believe.

The closing system is nice. Obviously theres no way to lift the tonneau so no more lifting the tonneau to close the tailgate. This was always a pain to me as you need two hands to do this and both hands were not always free. Just a convenience thing really. I will get some more pictures and a video after I wash the truck and have some daylight.

The tonneau was rather easy to install. Routing the wires was the most complicated part of it but wasn't a big deal at all.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the tonneau and would recommend it to anyone looking for an electric tonneau cover.

Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2017, 03:34 PM
amartz02
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the toolbox, but I do like the pre-installed Thule rails. Needed to open the cover this past weekend, and had a hell of a time getting it open, I think it frozen shut. Then when I got it to break loose, it wouldn't roll up all the way. Other than that it's been great.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:48 AM
TheLex
Elder User
Thanks for the update. Sounds like it's a good unit then. Is it a metal or plastic cover?

Also good to know the install was easy. I've read posts that some covers are tricky to install due to having to parallel the rails with shims.

Well I have installed my Pace Edwards Tonneau and I couldn't be happier. I only have one dark picture so far and no video. It snowed here in GA. Some areas got up to a foot. I measured at some point and seemed like we got 9" of snow which the tonneau supported with no problems at all. It also seems to have stayed incredibly dry inside. Way more dry than my BakFlip used to.

Its nice having the electric open and close key fob. I also got the switch to install at the tailgate in case I don't have the fob on me and want to open or close the tonneau. That was an additional part I had to order. Found it for 47 bucks from 4 wheel parts I believe.

The closing system is nice. Obviously theres no way to lift the tonneau so no more lifting the tonneau to close the tailgate. This was always a pain to me as you need two hands to do this and both hands were not always free. Just a convenience thing really. I will get some more pictures and a video after I wash the truck and have some daylight.

The tonneau was rather easy to install. Routing the wires was the most complicated part of it but wasn't a big deal at all.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the tonneau and would recommend it to anyone looking for an electric tonneau cover.

Quick Reply: Retrax Pro MX vs American Work Cover (Jr.)