2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

NOT impressd with LED lights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Sf jakey
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NOT impressd with LED lights!

Picked up my 350 CCLB with the “must have” LED headlight upgrade wednesday. It was raining that night when I first drove with the lights and they SUCKED. Felt like I had the DRL’s only until I turned on the lower fog lights to actually see what was in front of me. I just figured it was because the rain was breaking up and absorbing the light.
Used them again last night, clear and no rain, and they performed the same. The low beams alone do not light up the road in front at all. Light seems to be dispersed too much. Pattern is way too wide. High beams also suck at lighting the immediate area, although they do seem to have good reach to the tree and roof tops half a mile away. The fact that the driving lights turn off with the high beam is absurd. You need to still see what is immediately in front of you.
A friend has a 16 f150 with the LED light and they perform much better. In fact, they are why I insisted on this option.
These lights throw light a long way but offer no saturation. Waste of $1k in my opinion. My 11 with those crappy lights was probably better.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 AM
DISLTom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's really odd. I think my LEDs are some of the best I've ever had on my 250.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:47 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Odd. I think almost everyone else on here with factory LED agree these are the best lights ever. Rain is always challenging for lights of course. I’d encourage you to give them another shot. If not, there would be dozens of guys interested in trading you for their halogens.
I recommend you go the FORScan route and enable “Bambi mode” which keeps the fogs on with high beams, and enable “remember fog lights” which turns them back on with the auto headlights. Fogs definitely add to the pattern. Lastly, double check the aim on the lights. Fairly simple procedure you can find in the manual and posted on the forum several times.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 AM
chargerrich
Junior User
Is it possible you have a defect? Because i love mine... night, ran, fog... better than i have ever seen with any halogens i have had on any vehicle.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My LED headlights ROCK! Probably the best "new feature" and so superior to the Halogens it's not even funny.

I'd get yours looked at by a dealer who knows sum-tin

Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 AM
altaforddealer
New User
Re: LED's

I have them on my truck and the only minor issue I have is the auto dim can take over at the wrong moment and I accidentally blast someone on a hilly road. Perhaps did you get your truck with a front end level on it and they failed to re-aim your lights down? perhaps they're pointed at the sky!

Old 11-10-2017, 11:23 AM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah I'm not that overly impressed with mine either, it is an upgrade over the halogens but not that much.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM
TufLuk13
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they're great. I've owned 9 vehicles in my life and this is the first truck I haven't even considered changing the lights out on. Every single other vehicle had them changed out fairly quickly. When I pass other Super Duty's at night, I think to myself holy cow those lights are bright. I even had some assh**e driving around in traffic on the way home from work on a highway with his highs/lows and fogs all on and damn if they weren't annoying as heck behind me.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:50 AM
rcorkum4
Junior User
Have you thought about having the dealer check the headlight aiming? It sounds like that may be an issue.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sf jakey
Picked up my 350 CCLB with the “must have” LED headlight upgrade wednesday. It was raining that night when I first drove with the lights and they SUCKED. Felt like I had the DRL’s only until I turned on the lower fog lights to actually see what was in front of me. I just figured it was because the rain was breaking up and absorbing the light.
Used them again last night, clear and no rain, and they performed the same. The low beams alone do not light up the road in front at all. Light seems to be dispersed too much. Pattern is way too wide. High beams also suck at lighting the immediate area, although they do seem to have good reach to the tree and roof tops half a mile away. The fact that the driving lights turn off with the high beam is absurd. You need to still see what is immediately in front of you.
A friend has a 16 f150 with the LED light and they perform much better. In fact, they are why I insisted on this option.
These lights throw light a long way but offer no saturation. Waste of $1k in my opinion. My 11 with those crappy lights was probably better.
You sure you have the LED lights?
My neighbor thought he did. He had upgraded bulbs. Bought the truck used.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:54 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
My LEDs work awesome! They light up the road just fine.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:01 PM
clc3251
Senior User
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Something must be wrong with yours. Mine are great.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
The fog lights switch off with high beams on *by federal law.* Of course, the ForScan mod can allow them to remain on.

I owned a 2017 F-350 dually for a year with the LED lights. I also own a 2018 Raptor with the LED lights and now a 2017 F-250 with the halogen lights.

First thing: the actual LED lighting elements are the same between an F-150/Raptor and the Super Duty, as well as the Ford Fusion and maybe some other Ford/Lincoln products. On the trucks, the "quad beam" function works the same between the 150 and Super Duty, meaning low beams operate two LED beams and high beams operate 4 beams. Ironically, the 2017 trucks with the standard "quad beam halogen" lights operate 4 beams on low and 4 beams on high, plus fogs on low.

The Raptor does not offer fog lights and the F-150 trucks with LED headlights can only be had with halogen fog lights.

I find there is no appreciable difference between the Super Duty with LED headlights and the Raptor with LED headlights. Why you think the F-150 LED setup is better is beyond me.

The quad beam halogens are a step up from the previous generation of Super Duty truck (2011-2016) which only came with halogen lights. I actually find low beam to produce a similar amount of light as the LED lights, if not as white with as sharp of cutoffs. High beam, however...the LED lighting is very good and much better than the halogens.

Bottom line? The Ford LED headlights are among the best I've ever used. And I've had plenty of cars with high performance headlights, such as Audi / BMW / Land Rover with bi-xenon headlights.

Perhaps yours don't work right or aren't aimed right?

Old 11-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sf jakey
P

High beams also suck at lighting the immediate area, although they do seem to have good reach to the tree and roof tops half a mile away.

These lights throw light a long way but offer no saturation.
Your headlights are not adjusted properly.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:58 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure your lights are on an not just the DRL's? (Just asking.)

Quick Reply: NOT impressd with LED lights!