1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Floor Jack

Old 11-09-2017, 04:09 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Floor Jack

Well, a faithful old friend gave up the ghost (blew a seal) yesterday. I payed big money for this Jack around '77 when I didn't have money.

According to Lazzar's, it's a Hein-Werner model though I don't see that on the label. They carry a seal kit which I ordered. After some research, I determined that this particular Brand/Model and only a few others were still worth rebuilding.

Now back in '77, I used to swing this sucker around like a NASCAR Pit Crew Member. 40 years later, that isn't the case. It's beastly heavy. My thoughts were to re-seal this Jack and sell or, sell with the seal-kit attached and get me one of them-thaar fancy aluminum Jacks for my twilight years.

In further reading, it appears that rebuilding these hydraulics is not a simple matter for even a seasoned gear-head?

Thoughts / Opinions?

Tnanks as always,

Dawg-a-Roo

Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I have an even bigger jack I got from Costco or maybe even when it was Price Club that is also a Hein-Werner.

I got a kit for it and rebuilt it. It IS a heavy beast but, it's made in America and works well. It's paid for and sometimes I need more than one jack so I'm keeping mine.

It wasn't hard to rebuild. The toughest part I remember was getting the ram apart. TIGHT!

Old 11-09-2017, 04:37 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3
I need more than one jack so I'm keeping mine.
Excellent point, I will do the same.

Forgot to ask everyone. Any recommendations for solid quality Aluminum Jack?

Old 11-09-2017, 04:56 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,778 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Dawg

I hate my floor jack. I have a "Cratsman" 3 ton floor jack (it appears to just be a cheapo Chinese model with black paint and Craftsman stickers). I made them replace it once. I had to apply a few field fixes to it over the years. The thing bleeds down and will occasionally weep on the floor.
I know what you mean about trying to tote that beast around, they sure seem to be heavier than when we were kids.
Yours appears to be worth rebuilding, might as well give it a shot.

A friend of mine has low profile aluminum one from Harbor Freight and he swears by it. I've been toying with the idea of buying one but I'll drag my feet until my Craftsman one finally kicks the bucket.

Bobby

Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Eman, the main attraction of H-W jacks is that you can even buy a kit for it, 40 yrs after it was made. I have a Craftsman, made in Taiwan (back when that was the cheap alternative), about the same age, and there isn't a single piece I can get anywhere. I took it to a hydraulics shop and they wouldn't even look at it.

Bobby, I have the same black Crapsman, and yes, it leaks down gradually.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:10 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Disassemble that jack and take the seal to a good hydraulic shop. Note I said a GOOD shop, one that will listen to you. Chances are the ram seal at the end is bad. I rebuilt my old Craftsman for a grand total of $12 for the special seal and a couple dollars worth of O rings from a HF seal kit. The shop ordered the seal and I had it in my hand the next day. An hour later my jack was good as new.
BTW, mine was a present from my two sons about thirty years ago so I had a bit of attachment to it.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I agree with ray...take it apart and take the seal to get it replaced ....it also looks like you have hit a harbor freight now and then (blast cabinet and parts washer). I picked up a 3 ton floor jack on sale for a spare....so far so good... no issues with it

Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
My 30 year old Craftsman gave up the ghost about 5 years ago, I went to Costco and bought a replacement. I still have the Craftsman and need to rebuild it, just haven't needed 3 as I have a small craftsman floor jack too.... You guys may get m to rebuild it soon!

Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine from Habor Freight, they run some good sales so you can pick up a Pittsburgh one for a reasonable price. L8R ZFLASH

Old 11-09-2017, 08:54 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I have the 3 ton HF aluminum jack....been using it for ten years now, has not failed.
Also have 2 steel no name floor jacks that leak down pretty quick.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,778 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Over the years, there's been several times that I was offered one of them old super long 5 ton floor jacks like you used to see in old shops and tire stores. I'd love to have one but I just have no space in my garage for it. And, since I'm turning into such a wimp moving this little short Craftsman jack around can you imagine humping one of those old long ones around?

Bobby

Old 11-09-2017, 10:01 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
BTW, mine was a present from my two sons about thirty years ago so I had a bit of attachment to it.
You know Ray, for some odd reason up until this post I thought you were one of the younger guys on this site, I kinda thought you were in your late 30's. I have no clue why.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 AM
eman92082
Cargo Master
also looks like you have hit a harbor freight now and then (blast cabinet and parts washer)
I reasoned their Blast Cabinet and Parts Washer wouldn't kill me.... That said, I do have one of their Engine Hoists as well. That would only maim me

Old 11-10-2017, 09:21 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe most of us here started with little and improved our tools over time. I used a bumper jack and concrete blocks in my younger days; a hydraulic floor jack was a luxury. I bought my first decent floor jack (an Allied) from Price Club (Costco) in the seventies. It lasted until last year.

Someone took the time to write the complete disassembly/assembly procedure on the Internet. The time and effort isn’t worth it to me. I bought a HFT low profile jack ($77) since the ’56 F100 has a Mustang II front end and the old jack was too high to roll underneath. HFT sells a cross beam that mounted on the front of the jack that allows lifting on two points. I also bought a HFT aluminum jack; I am very pleased with both.

Next on the list is a two post overhead lift; the days of rolling around on a concrete floor will be over!

Old 11-10-2017, 01:01 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by edzakory
I bought my first decent floor jack (an Allied) from Price Club (Costco) in the seventies. It lasted until last year.
Interesting You mention Costco. I called an old friend who owns a large Automotive Repair Shop last night. He said in recent years, they've been buying Jacks from Costco with no complaints.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Floor Jack