Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:47 PM
Booyah555
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This started happening to me, during this trip really scared the crap out of us, was in rural northern Maine at the time, brought it to the dealer and no codes the same as OP explained, I’ll be bringing it in to my dealer on Monday and show them the video I captured.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 PM
ldramirez
New User
We have the same thing. We have taken it to 7 dealerships. No codes mean that there is nothing wrong with your truck according to Ford. It happened to us 14 times on out way across country with our brand new truck. Our best friend bought the same truck to tow her trailer and the same thing happened to her, Ford claims there is nothing wrong. We are in a lawsuit with Ford right now. Want the name of our attorney?

Old 10-09-2018, 05:12 AM
Booyah555
New User
So new update, last week they replaced my throttle body after 2 angry emails The problem is that we are almost done camping season and i am not planning a long trip, i may take the trailer out on a 2 hour drive just to confirm. I am in Canada are you? if your not i don't know what legal grounds i may have

At least my dealership is "trying" now.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Atrrider
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2016 F150 2.7 Eco, have the same issue. Pull to a gas station, fill up and start truck, place in drive and it dies. No codes, same with the scanner tool from the dealership. Ford has no idea or won’t disclose of the issue. The dealership can only do so much when there aren’t codes and in order to duplicate one has to tow with the vehicle. Very frustrating and a liability. We have trips planned this fall and don’t trust the truck. Dealship has bent over backwards trying to help, but I understand the limitations. What’s a bit disheartening is to see the second gen motor doing the same thing.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:15 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
For what it's worth my 2018 had these symptoms. Only happened when using a trailer with electric brakes. Process of elimination and I discovered that the truck was only charging at 12.8 volts. When I applied the brakes and moved to drive the voltage would dip below 11.2 and truck would stall out. Unhooked the trailer wiring and voltage stayed low but no stalling! I opened up IDS and looked at the BMS table and it was irregular and low. So I used forscan to disable *** and reset BMS and swapped the junk AGM battery out for a traditional wet group 65. Guess what? Steady charging at all times of 14.3 and no more stalling. There is lots of reported battery issues with these trucks and testing the stock battery has proven pointless because they test good but are actually bad.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:36 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 221 Likes on 184 Posts
There are battery testers you can use that require you remove the battery from the vehicle. These will load the battery up and verify that they can provide the expected power and still recover appropriately. Not all dealers have these or know how to use them. However, this would explain the no code condition, as it might just be insufficient voltage to make things work.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:54 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by GlueGuy
There are battery testers you can use that require you remove the battery from the vehicle. These will load the battery up and verify that they can provide the expected power and still recover appropriately. Not all dealers have these or know how to use them. However, this would explain the no code condition, as it might just be insufficient voltage to make things work.

The stock AGM battery ford uses is a real PITA to test. You are supposed to charge it for 10 hours and test at half CCA and if it falls below 9.60 you are to test again after 10 hours and then if it fails a second test it's bad. I think ford found the cheapest source for these batteries.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The stock AGM battery ford uses is a real PITA to test. You are supposed to charge it for 10 hours and test at half CCA and if it falls below 9.60 you are to test again after 10 hours and then if it fails a second test it's bad. I think ford found the cheapest source for these batteries.
Could be. I have no idea. We have used big AGM batteries (200-500 amp-hour size) in remote solar-powered communications facilities for over a decade. They are different from "wet" lead acid batteries (mainly) in two regards. One, wet batteries will usually have a higher power output; at least initially. Two, you can usually discharge AGM batteries more deeply than the wet variety. There are other differences too; especially WRT sulfation, and maintenance (AGM batteries have no provision to add water).

As for the decision to use an AGM battery, I can only speculate that Ford wanted the ability to tolerate a bit more discharge plus the completely "maintenance free" features.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Atrrider
Junior User
IIRC the 2.7 and 3.5 share the same battery. By the looks on this thread it’s only affecting the 2.7. While I know that the title is 2.7 dies, but I would think we would have seen a thread about the 3.5 doing the same.the 2.7 I have doesn’t have a tow package, tomorrow it will be gone and an 18 3.5 max tow with 20’s will take its place. This will give me 4050 rear GAWR and HPP frame. I am expecting it to tow my 26 ft 6,500 lb trailer (loaded) better. The 2.7 without the max payload has very soft rear leaf springs, in comparison. 3300 GAWR.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:17 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Our 3.5L EB does very well with that size trailer. Easy peasy.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:31 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Atrrider
IIRC the 2.7 and 3.5 share the same battery. By the looks on this thread it’s only affecting the 2.7. While I know that the title is 2.7 dies, but I would think we would have seen a thread about the 3.5 doing the same.the 2.7 I have doesn’t have a tow package, tomorrow it will be gone and an 18 3.5 max tow with 20’s will take its place. This will give me 4050 rear GAWR and HPP frame. I am expecting it to tow my 26 ft 6,500 lb trailer (loaded) better. The 2.7 without the max payload has very soft rear leaf springs, in comparison. 3300 GAWR.
I thought the 2.7 was the only engine with the AGM battery until 2017? Then in 2017 the Gen 2 EcoBoost got auto start and stop and they started using the AGM. For 2018 all the trucks have AGM.

Side note, make sure the truck you are looking at has the HPP frame and is marked. Sounds like you have done the research and know you need max tow package, factory 20" wheels and 157" wb. There is some that have the wheelbase but lack the HPP frame because of wheels. For reference the HPP sticker is directly on the passenger frame rail under the door. I attached mine for reference.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:14 AM
Shawn Martir
New User
leak from underneath the truck

Originally Posted by NI5L
I had the same issue with my 2018 2.7 F-150. I hauled my brother's #6000 boat for him for a couple of hours and it did the stall and restart thing on the return trip from the lake to his home. There was no trouble on the way to the lake. It finally started to behave itself after I took it out of tow/haul mode and on the trip back home from Oklahoma to Arizona, there were no issues. I did notice that the tail pipe had blacked up...it has always been pretty clean. There was never any indication of overheating and the truck ran great. It sat down in the rear but handled well on the highway. I was a drivability tech for 25 years and I always get nervous when problems just fix themselves. I think I'll visit with one of the techs at the local Ford house.

I'll be following this thread with keen interest.

Cheers!
Warren

On dry days without running the A/C water drips onto the exhaust making a sizzling sound. This issue just started happening. Has anyone seen this before?

Old 10-13-2018, 02:43 AM
ATX SD
Junior User
Originally Posted by Atrrider
an 18 3.5 max tow with 20’s will take its place. This will give me 4050 rear GAWR and HPP frame.
Are you sure you will get an HPP frame? My max tow 2018 has the HD frame, 7000 lb GVWR/3800 LB RAWR. I'm pretty sure the HPP frame only comes with the Heavy Payload package.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Atrrider
Junior User
Originally Posted by ATX SD
Are you sure you will get an HPP frame? My max tow 2018 has the HD frame, 7000 lb GVWR/3800 LB RAWR. I'm pretty sure the HPP frame only comes with the Heavy Payload package.
For 2018 Ford has made a 145 WB HPP frame. This frame comes with the MTTP. However you are limited to maximum, with 20’s and the MTTP you get a different rear suspension and axle. The GVWR for a 4x2 remains at 6750, and front GVWR remains the same, the rear GAWR increase to 4050. Payload does not increase, it actually takes a bit of a hit with before leaf springs and different axle. Just to clarify, the increase in rear GAWR isn’t because of the 20’s but rather the combination of MTTP and 20’s. If you look at the capability charts you will see that to achieve the 12.7 (145wb) and 13.2 (157wb) you require the MTTP and 20’s.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:01 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
I thought the 2.7 was the only engine with the AGM battery until 2017? Then in 2017 the Gen 2 EcoBoost got auto start and stop and they started using the AGM. For 2018 all the trucks have AGM.

Side note, make sure the truck you are looking at has the HPP frame and is marked. Sounds like you have done the research and know you need max tow package, factory 20" wheels and 157" wb. There is some that have the wheelbase but lack the HPP frame because of wheels. For reference the HPP sticker is directly on the passenger frame rail under the door. I attached mine for reference.
There are certain configurations you can't get with the 2.7L EB. Namely you can not get 2.7L EB + 157" WB + 4WD. At least you couldn't in 2016.

Quick Reply: 2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing