Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:58 PM
NI5L
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2018 2.7 F-150. I hauled my brother's #6000 boat for him for a couple of hours and it did the stall and restart thing on the return trip from the lake to his home. There was no trouble on the way to the lake. It finally started to behave itself after I took it out of tow/haul mode and on the trip back home from Oklahoma to Arizona, there were no issues. I did notice that the tail pipe had blacked up...it has always been pretty clean. There was never any indication of overheating and the truck ran great. It sat down in the rear but handled well on the highway. I was a drivability tech for 25 years and I always get nervous when problems just fix themselves. I think I'll visit with one of the techs at the local Ford house.

I'll be following this thread with keen interest.

Cheers!
Warren

Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Well this is really playing with my head right now. We're getting ready to move my daughter across the state and I just rented a U-Haul trailer to do it. It's a 6 x 12 enclosed and will mainly have her furniture and a few boxes. I really doubt it will be all that heavy and it's only around 250 miles (should be around 4.5 hours as we are not taking any major highways, turnpike tolls SUCK!). I've never towed an enclosed trailer before but I suppose that really doesn't matter. If I have problems with this, I might well should re-think the 2.7. Seems like the problems are occuring after towing much heavier loads for much longer distances.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ACADguy
Well this is really playing with my head right now. We're getting ready to move my daughter across the state and I just rented a U-Haul trailer to do it. It's a 6 x 12 enclosed and will mainly have her furniture and a few boxes. I really doubt it will be all that heavy and it's only around 250 miles (should be around 4.5 hours as we are not taking any major highways, turnpike tolls SUCK!). I've never towed an enclosed trailer before but I suppose that really doesn't matter. If I have problems with this, I might well should re-think the 2.7. Seems like the problems are occuring after towing much heavier loads for much longer distances.
You can relax. Seriously, look at the timeline of this thread and consider just how many of these are on the road. The 2.7L EB is perhaps the highest volume engine for the best-selling vehicle in the nation. No matter how good the design, there are bound to be a few issues when they’re making that many of them.

I’m sure your truck is fine, and will get you there and back without issues. Forums attract people with problems in search of solutions a lot more than happy owners.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-18-2018, 08:44 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Tom

You can relax. Seriously, look at the timeline of this thread and consider just how many of these are on the road. The 2.7L EB is perhaps the highest volume engine for the best-selling vehicle in the nation. No matter how good the design, there are bound to be a few issues when they’re making that many of them.

I’m sure your truck is fine, and will get you there and back without issues. Forums attract people with problems in search of solutions a lot more than happy owners.
I agree, it's fine. Heck it's got 33,000 trouble free miles so far. If there were going to be problems, I'm sure they would have appeared before now. As much as I know this, it still plays with my head a little, you know? Yes, forums are like customer reviews on products. They don't always bring out the best. You're more likely to hit the keyboard after a bad experience.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:35 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
I'll add my voice to the chorus. I know several people that have the 2.7L EB, and they have all been trouble free; including towing. There have been the occasional issues with towing that I've seen, and the ones that I'm aware of, there was an actual problem (cooling system blockage, intake, exhaust, ignition).

Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
I'll add my voice to the chorus. I know several people that have the 2.7L EB, and they have all been trouble free; including towing. There have been the occasional issues with towing that I've seen, and the ones that I'm aware of, there was an actual problem (cooling system blockage, intake, exhaust, ignition).
I wondered how many of the problems were caused by modifications. Long before I ever got my truck I had a conversation with a dealer and asked him if they ever had problems with the eco boost engines. This guy was several states away from me so he had no reason to lie as he knew I would never buy there. Anyway he told me that the only problems they had seen come thru the shop were trucks that had the airflow holes for the turbos blocked off. He said a lot of guys don't like those holes there and think they can plug them but that kills the turbos in short order. I guess that's one reason I never do any mods to my trucks. True or not, I prefer to not take that chance.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-18-2018, 04:07 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I agre it's their highest sold engine. Just step on the lot and they try to shove one on you!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 PM
vapor40
New User
stall

I'm not sure if it would happen with the u haul. Smaller frontal area than my travel trailer. But it will happen on my truck every time under high load 70mph while towing. Now my trailer is 3900 lbs empty 4650 loaded. And I have to go 200 miles or so without stopping..will stall every time. Seems flooded. I can give it 1/4 throttle and it will run and clean up after about 2 min or so. No codes and no mods to the truck. Only had 3k on it when it started doing it. First time towing under those conditions.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:55 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea I own one as stated here before,I drove all Three and checked all of the Stats and to me for my needs this engine and Trans is the Best,I have a 21ft TT
and took it on its first Tow,I was more impressed with this Combination.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 AM
sarick84
New User
Im having the exact same issue

My 2018 xlt 2.7 EB 4x4 has done the same thing as the OP. It did it the first time i towed my travel trailer. I took it in for service and they found nothing. Then I took the TT out again and was able to replicate the same problem. After towing about 4000lb for 1 hour at about 70 MPH the truck will shut off and will "require a manual restart".

The only way to get off the road is to start the truck, revving in neutral and slamming in into drive. No gauges show they are over heating. The truck was not showing any indication that something is wrong. It just turns off and displays a message "Manual start required" . The battery indicator flashes but i put a jump pack on the battery and it was still stalling if i didnt continue to rev the engine.

I took the truck to my dealer and they scanned it and found nothing. SO they put a capture device and of course while i have the event capture device the truck doesnt stall while towing. But once they take the device off I take my trailer to the coast and IT happens again.

Im ready to call it quits on this truck. The sole purpose of this truck was to pull that little ultra light trailer and it cant even do that. I just dont think its safe.

Currently the truck is at the shop and they cant even provide me a loaner. BS

Old 08-01-2018, 05:53 PM
trfoley77
New User
My 2017 2.7 EB is having the same issue. Pulling my 8,500# camper across state last week I stopped to get gas and went to start my truck, it started up and then stalled. I started it again and it stalled. I started it the third time and had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running the only light that came on was the battery light. This happened once more on the way there and another time on the way home. I even tried leaving the truck running on the fill ups and the truck would still die. Never had any issues when the truck was not towing for the week. No check engine light.Truck has been in the shop for a week and the dealer cannot find any issues.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:55 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Since the only light that's coming on is the battery, is it possible that the TT is somehow over-taxing the charging system? I know the larger engines in the F-150 have a mongoid alternator (over 200 amps IIRC), but I don't know what's in the 2.7L EB. Perhaps you could disconnect the battery in the TT and rerun the test? Just a thought.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:38 AM
sarick84
New User
I just think if something was overheating or was a cause for concern it should throw some type of code or error to go off of. When the dealership tells me "nothings wrong" with my truck it really pisses me off. The truck pulls the trailer effortlessly and maybe thats the issue. Im almost ready to pull the plug on the EB and try and get into the 5.0.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:41 AM
sarick84
New User
Originally Posted by trfoley77
My 2017 2.7 EB is having the same issue. Pulling my 8,500# camper across state last week I stopped to get gas and went to start my truck, it started up and then stalled. I started it again and it stalled. I started it the third time and had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running the only light that came on was the battery light. This happened once more on the way there and another time on the way home. I even tried leaving the truck running on the fill ups and the truck would still die. Never had any issues when the truck was not towing for the week. No check engine light.Truck has been in the shop for a week and the dealer cannot find any issues.
Thats seems to be alot of weight! are you running 3:73? But even then your almost maxing out the recommended towing capacity. Hows the truck performing while towing? (aside from the stalling)

Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM
sarick84
New User
Well i just got my truck out of the shop and they blamed my nationwide smart ride device. Although i told him it was happening before i put the device on truck. But he assured me it was fixed. So he suggested I take my trailer out and see if happens again.

Quick Reply: 2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing