1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Techron complete fuel system cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:22 PM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the Cleaner sold at Walmart contain PTFE ?

or does the Concentrate sold by Amazon contain PTFE ?

I was pouring in a bottle I thought had PTFE in it when Chevron was unavailable.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:00 AM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you mean PEA (polyetheramine)? PTFE is teflon and I wouldn't think you'd make a cleaner with solids in it. Gumout's "Motor tune-up" contains PEA, good stuff IMHO.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:32 AM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User

Chevron changed the package eliminating reference to PTFE ?

Knowing Walmart n for a moment doubting Chevron's integrity I searched Chevron finding no reference to PTFE in gasoline additives.

Going to Amazon...search thru Google ... I find the word CONCENTRATE ...as in boiled oranges ...

There in Wal's bottles are CONCENTRATE plus CLEANER

Now concentrate on that.

why stop bragging about PTFE ?

WTF is CONCENTRATE ? beyond typical ad weaseling.

CHEVRON run out of PTFE n now adds boiled orange juice ?

GRATE. Worked good while it lasted. BIG WHITE is crossing the country eastward soon we'll try a comparison on an upward slope.

There's no reason discarding teflon derivatives mixed with solvents.

I use Gumout final cleaning of rag thinner Gumout. Outside upwind.

My theory with Chevron is n I went thru this elsewhere here, is the PTFE blends well with ring flow thinned Valvo Synth 5.4 running at 2000 RPM in OD.

As for the cleaner, using Bosch 4 points under slow running, the 5.4 was according to the mechanic, clogged.

with abt 7 gallons tanked, the cleaner additive ran thru 3 stages: start even fire, produce power as the trans shifted in 3rd where before not, then that thinned out running of lower octane but more power. Remarkable driving an additive that delivered a complex response.

BTW, I gradually switched into Chevron hi octane from reg.

Loss of PTFE in a bottle would be disappointing.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:53 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
PTFE is teflon and nobody would ever put that in a fuel treatment. You have been very misled if you think there was ever any PTFE content in Techron. You could scrape out some teflon frying pans and put that in your gas tank

Slick 50, an engine OIL additive, used to have PTFE in it until it was made illegal by the FTC because the teflon clogged oil filters and oil passages. I imagine it would be worse yet for fuel filters and injectors.

Ford engines do best with Motorcraft or Autolite plugs.

Top tier gas has all the detergents your fuel needs and you don't need to add stuff to drive hundreds of thousands of miles. That said, Techron is my go-to when I feel like I've gotten a bad tank of gas or something, maybe once a year in each car. With top tier gas, all grades have a lot of detergent additives so you sure don't need to waste money on premium fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron

Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User

PTFE is not an acronym for Polyetheramine

there's a Utube

thanks for the correction covering Chevron's jug design change.
with the 5.4 and Valvo Synth oil a very noticeable difference with a 3.73 OD at 2000 rpm flat ground to slight incline. Especially at lower temps as 65 degrees vs 90. The rad is a 2008 big mouth with vinyl grille
from regular to hi test. hi test Chevron pulls the low interstate hills, reg does not.
I haven't had the Bosch plugs out. The standard plugs at 75 were replaceable at 50 as recommended in this forum. The Bosch plug may spread the charge more equitably in a less shocking heat range. ?
Bosch oil filters using the HD have a better valve. By far.
I tanked with a farmers grade gas on the lowlands. Came to a stop halfway up the San Juans.
Added 2 jugs of Techron n over we went.
thanks for the correction
my turn

Old 11-13-2017, 03:06 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Per the Wiki article and everything else I have ever read, PEA is the acronym for polyether amines which are the detergent in Techron and have been since 1981.

I have no idea what else we are discussing--you seemed to be complaining about no PTFE which is teflon and which has no business being in gasoline or oil. There is no letter "f" in the words polyether amines.

A healthy 5.4 in a Ford van should have no problems in mountains with regular fuel and any motor oil that meets Ford's standards. Safe travels to ya.
George

Old 11-13-2017, 04:25 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
I got 7 MPG last tank, this was after a tuneup, replacing the coil packs I figured Mototcraft plugs too, the mileage on the tank of the change was better, so I put 2 bottles of the Chevron in, they treat 15 gallons each, I have a 33 gallon tank. I have used Chemtool in the past, and used to use the Lucas upper cylinder lubricant in the gas at every fill up, one time I got 17 MPG, but most it gets 15, when the intake was cracked it got 6 MPG, MAF can't read what gets around it.
I never paid attention to the PTFE in the add, I went for the Techron, people claim it's good stuff, but I did notice on the bottles I bought last night that PTFE is no longer on the labels.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:39 PM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you think maybe someone's adding Techron to their ice tea?

Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 PM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Per the Wiki article and everything else I have ever read, PEA is the acronym for polyether amines which are the detergent in Techron and have been since 1981.

I have no idea what else we are discussing--you seemed to be complaining about no PTFE which is teflon and which has no business being in gasoline or oil. There is no letter "f" in the words polyether amines.

A healthy 5.4 in a Ford van should have no problems in mountains with regular fuel and any motor oil that meets Ford's standards. Safe travels to ya.
George

I thanked you for the correction.

the 5.4 here runs perfectly. The extra data is supplied for a broader understanding in the conversation. As that the engine output is sensitive to octane oil n oil temp variations with a steady 12+ mpg

yesterday, warm temps n good gas ...Chevron hitest ... I compared Walmart techron gas additive with the paper sleeve ...as before that I mistakingly thought contained PTFE .. to the new bottle without the sleeve.

The crux of my question here IS THE FLUID INSIDE THE SAME WITH A DIFFERENT BOTTLE ? PTFE OR NOT

The immediate test result supports my question

The paper sleeve bottle increased engine slippery feel n HP where the new no paper sleeve bottle did not.

In the engine I have, the paper sleeved bottle immediately increases/ed slippery feel as with fresh Valvo Synthetic

I have a six pack of bottles now from Amazon. Will test and repost.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:53 PM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
Originally Posted by jeffreyclay
Do you think maybe someone's adding Techron to their ice tea?

On a loop from Florida to Ely to Ogallala to Yellowstone/tetons thru the fall aspen in CO...great drive up the interstate ..thru NM to Yuma ...there's a Chevron less area above Indiana or Tenn but below new Chevron stations everywhere n low Techron additive numberson Wal shelves. The stock price reflects this 250%

Old 11-14-2017, 04:46 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Do a search of Top Tier fuel brands and you can be assured that all of their grades will have a large slug of good detergents. What Top Tier means is that anything they sell will have the high end additive package. (Unlike the old days when gasoline brands advertised their premium gas as having the good additive package.)

Around Detroit, we have no Chevron stations but Mobil, BP, Shell, Marathon, and even Costco (where I buy my gas) are Top Tier. Armed with such a list, you should be able to find high quality fuel anywhere in the country unless you are forced to buy "no name" gas somewhere out in the boonies.

If you use too much fuel additive, it can actually foul your plugs like lead used to do in the old days...

Safe travels,
George

Old 11-14-2017, 05:17 PM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't think of a single top tier type station anywhere around this part if S. IL...

Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wiskeyVI
I can't think of a single top tier type station anywhere around this part if S. IL...
Have you looked at a list of top tier brands? Here is one updated as of today; there are a LOT of brands, large and small, on the list:

Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
I remember Shell having nitrogen enriched fuel, I've not been by there to get any in a long time, they used to accept the Kroger discount too.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 PM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YoGeorge, thanks for the updated link.
There's 1 in the area...which I've always avoided as it looks like a run down place.
I also recently uploaded GasBuddy back onto my phone, and it tags stations if they are Top Tier.

Quick Reply: Techron complete fuel system cleaner