Are exhaust brakes necessary or just nice to have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I can understand how it can seem intimidating at first, since you haven't done this kind of thing before.

Honestly, 6% is really nothing to worry about. I seriously doubt you will have to drop more than one gear. You just don't have that much trailer weight back there. It's been many years since I drove that stretch of I-8 (like 30), so I don't remember if there are any tight curves on that road that you will have to slow down for. As long as you don't let your road speed get ahead of your road conditions, you will be fine.

As you approach the top of the hill, starting your descent, slow your truck to 55 and downshift one gear. Then start the descent. As you're going down the hill, you should not be gaining speed if your foot is off the throttle. That 6% grade, with your trans down one gear, at 55, you will probably have to keep just a light touch on the throttle to keep from slowing down. Remember, your trailer really isn't very heavy, so it won't be that huge of a push on you.

That is about "perfect" for a descent, light throttle keeps you steady speed, taking foot off throttle and you start to slow down slightly. If you have that, you're "golden".

And you will have a good chuckle when you get to the bottom, wondering what all the worry was about.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim

And you will have a good chuckle when you get to the bottom, wondering what all the worry was about.
Yeah, im starting to feel a little stupid for even posting this up. in thinking it over ive been up and down that grade probably 75 times over the years. In hind sight ive pulled cab over campers while pulling sand cars and motorcycles with a much lesser tow vehicle. I think it is just the size that makes it seem worse than it is. Its a 2 laner with big sweeping turns. You could probably throw it in neutral and coast to the bottom if there wasnt other traffic. It really isnt an issue... And i should of thought this through better before posting.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
If it means that you now have the confidence to tackle the grade & the wisdom to start at the right speed, it was not a stupid question & our work here is done!

Old 11-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Thanks again!

Old 11-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,697 Likes on 1,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
Yeah, im starting to feel a little stupid for even posting this up. in thinking it over ive been up and down that grade probably 75 times over the years. In hind sight ive pulled cab over campers while pulling sand cars and motorcycles with a much lesser tow vehicle. I think it is just the size that makes it seem worse than it is. Its a 2 laner with big sweeping turns. You could probably throw it in neutral and coast to the bottom if there wasnt other traffic. It really isnt an issue... And i should of thought this through better before posting.
Yup. And you won’t even bash into the front of a feed store in down town Pagosa Springs!!!!

And above all......enjoy your new to you camper!!!

Old 11-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Already finding its too old to visit some of the local rv parks. So I planning on enjoying the so cal deserts where no one even knows your there much less how new the rig is. It's old but clean, and its paid for except for up keep. Perfect for me! Thanks

Old 11-05-2017, 01:50 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
Already finding its too old to visit some of the local rv parks.
You have parks that have an age limit for your rig! Wow, in the UK alot of residential parks have an age limit & rules like you must buy & sell through the owner of the park, but I've never heard of an age limit for tourers.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:13 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,483 Likes on 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
You have parks that have an age limit for your rig! Wow, in the UK alot of residential parks have an age limit & rules like you must buy & sell through the owner of the park, but I've never heard of an age limit for tourers.
Some do, but most do not. The owners (private parks) are normally looking to keep the people like cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation from showing up.

As for the grade question, was not dumb at all. You are planning ahead and making sure that everyone is safe when traveling. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:50 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,195 Likes on 683 Posts
No mountains in my area to contend with just tall bridges over the Mississippi River. I do like the option to use my engine braking system on my DRW F-350 towing my 15K pound toyhauler. I drove semi tanker trucks from 1972 to 1984 and never had any with engine brakes or even air ride suspensions. Semi trucks were still fairly primitive back then!

Old 11-05-2017, 09:05 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I would just add to make sure the trailer brakes are adjusted and operating correctly. I recently warped a rotor on my F-550 descending a 8% grade here in N.C. between Boone,NC and Wilksboro, NC.

I had not been in the mountains in a couple of years and was used to towing flat land. Coming down the grade I hit the brakes to scrub off some speed and realized that it was taking more pedal to slow down than I thought I should need. Eventually on the third braking event my steering started shaking and some noise, smell was coming from the brakes. After getting home I readjusted my trailer brakes. Three needed 10 clicks and the fourth needed about 20.

On the same grade my FIL was towing the same brand, length, and weight of trailer. He has a 2012 F-350 with all of the tow haul features. He used his brakes one time (I brake checked him unintentionally) the rest of the grade he coasted.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:52 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,127 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I am SURE he didn't COAST !! That was prob just a case of misnaming the Tow/Haul feature.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Think this brings us to the next question on brakes but think i had better start a new thread on that. Thanks for the well thought out and thoughtful replys.

Brake thread started: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17570791

Old 11-05-2017, 11:50 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
I am SURE he didn't COAST !! That was prob just a case of misnaming the Tow/Haul feature.
Descending an incline while allowing gravity to do the work is also a definition of coast,coasting or coasted.

Tow/Haul managed the rate of coasting.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Again you guys were right! The down hill was a nothing burger. I ended up putting it in 4th and the brake was tapped a few times to keep the rev's down under about 2300. Un believably easy and smooth. To be honest most of the drive i didnt even think about the 5er being behind me. I was very impressed with the trucks ability to tow a load. Thanks again

Old 11-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,483 Likes on 2,864 Posts
The ZF6 makes going down a grade easy. It is nothing like the newer trucks with all of the fancy stuff on them, but a quick downshift to 4th or 3rd even keeps the speed of the truck and load well within your control.

The 7.3 mated to the ZF6 was one of the best things Ford ever did.

Quick Reply: Are exhaust brakes necessary or just nice to have?