Code: P1690 - Wastegate Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:31 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code: P1690 - Wastegate Solenoid

Hello All

I just purchased a 2000 Excursion 7.3. The day after I purchased it the engine light turned on and the truck ran rough. I had the code read and it came up as 1690 Wastegate Solenoid. I purchased a new Solenoid and it ran fine for a few miles with no light. The next time I ran the truck the light was back and it ran rough again. I don't know much about diesel trucks so any help would be appreciated. THanks

Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The waste gate will not cause a rough running engine.
There is a large wire harness running over the valve cover on the driver's side. It leads to a 42pin connector. Those wires have a tendency to rub through where they pass over the valve cover.
Let us know what you find there.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:55 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
And where are my manners?
Welcome aboard!

Old 10-31-2017, 08:57 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Thank you for your welcome and advice. I will check the wires tomorrow. What are your thoughts on the code and the new solenoid not fixing the code?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:02 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
The wires that control that solenoid run in that wire bundle and one could have shorted against the valve cover.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:03 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Ok, that would make sense. I will check tomorrow. Thank you

Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,143 Likes on 652 Posts
Did the same code come up again after you changed the solenoid and then cleared the code, or did you not clear the code after you changed it?

The solenoid won't make it run rough. Like mentioned earlier, probably the 42pin rubbing on the ds valve cover, or even a loose uvch connection. Also pull the icp sensor plug (on the drivers side head) and check it for oil. Those cost nothing but your time to check

Old 11-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Did the same code come up again after you changed the solenoid and then cleared the code, or did you not clear the code after you changed it?

The solenoid won't make it run rough. Like mentioned earlier, probably the 42pin rubbing on the ds valve cover, or even a loose uvch connection. Also pull the icp sensor plug (on the drivers side head) and check it for oil. Those cost nothing but your time to check
I didn't clear the code. When I ran the truck after I changed the Wastegate the light turned off. Then it came back on again when I started her up again. I haven't had the code read again. I will try to have that done tomorrow. I did look for any wires that were frayed and didn't see anything. It's not easy so see under the harness without moving some stuff and I didn't have time today.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:00 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Rather than paying someone to read codes, get TorquePro or Forscan smart phone apps and a WiFi or BlueTooth OBDII adapter. WiFi is for I-Phone, BlueTooth for Android. Or give us your location. Maybe one of us can come and read it for you. The smart phone apps are cheap and will pay for themselves very quickly.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Did you get your truck figured out?

Old 11-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
I haven't figured out the check engine light code yet. I've looked for any chafed wires and can't find any. When I turn the key to the on position without starting the engine this part clicks Non-Stop. Can someone help me identify this part? Is this part supposed to click prior to the engine? I will look into purchasing software in the future to read codes. I really appreciate all the help.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Wesley Green

I didn't see any chafed wires and the UVCH connection looks tight. I also checked the icp but the plug looked clean and no oil was present. I haven't had the code reset. I assumed the truck would reset itself if the problem was fixed. Am I wrong in my assumption? Thanks for the help

Old 11-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HD Rider
Did you get your truck figured out?
I haven't figured it out quite yet. I installed new headlight lenses today with LED bulbs but the brights don't work so that adds to the list of what I need to figure out. I did check all the wires, the UVCH and the icp and all looks good.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:45 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
The part in the picture is a vacuum pump. It creates the vacuum to operate the HVAC and lock the front hubs on four wheel drive trucks.

Does your truck run any different with the wipers on or off. A bad CPS will cause rough running and stalling when the wipers are on.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Pastor Jared Parmley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HD Rider
The part in the picture is a vacuum pump. It creates the vacuum to operate the HVAC and lock the front hubs on four wheel drive trucks.

Does your truck run any different with the wipers on or off. A bad CPS will cause rough running and stalling when the wipers are on.
I will check how the truck runs with the wipers on. In regards to the Wastegate I didn't notice the boots looked old, perhaps those need replaced. I did unplug the Wastegate when the engine was running and I didn't notice any difference in the sound of the engine.

Quick Reply: Code: P1690 - Wastegate Solenoid