6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:56 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coloradojeep1
I programed the scan gauge for ICP voltage (ICV). With cable connected I have a key on reading of .23v. With cable connected and cranking I have a reading of 1.94v. With cable disconnected I have 0 volts both cranking and with key on and a no start. Hope this helps?
That looks better with the readings so you are building good ICP pressure. If you have fuel getting to the upper fuel bowl ther should be enough pressure to start and idle. Next we need to look at the FICM power both main and logic and check for FICM sync.

Do you have any codes? What are you using for a data reader?

It’s also starting with starting fluid because of the high compression.

Last edited by FiznUKa; 10-29-2017 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-29-2017, 09:09 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
he is using a SGII... which is terrible for codes...

Another thought is air getting in the lines. Drain the fuel bowl with a turkey baster (or something) and have someone turn the key on while you watch the fuel bowl fill up (dont let it over-flow).

Once its full use the starter wire on the pass fender to crank the motor... look for bubbles.

Richard

Old 10-29-2017, 09:14 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
he is using a SGII... which is terrible for codes

Richard

Yup missed that part. Need to see if he can get ForScan and an ELM adapter.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:16 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 fuel delivery

Originally Posted by FiznUKa
That looks better with the readings so you are building good ICP pressure. If you have fuel getting to the upper fuel bowl ther should be enough pressure to start and idle. Next we need to look at the FICM power both main and logic and check for FICM sync.

Do you have any codes? What are you using for a data reader?

It’s also starting with starting fluid because of the high compression.
I'm using a scan gauge 2. I have no codes except for a trailer light. My ficm reads 47.5 when cranking, Ficm logic reads 11, and 10.0 when cranking. Ipr is 14.81 and 44.5 when cranking. My ICP is over 1500 when cranking. My sync is 1. Ipr is 44.5 when cranking. Everything is to specs I believe. Thanks for looking.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:22 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
6.0 fuel delivery

he is using a SGII... which is terrible for codes...

Another thought is air getting in the lines. Drain the fuel bowl with a turkey baster (or something) and have someone turn the key on while you watch the fuel bowl fill up (dont let it over-flow).

Once its full use the starter wire on the pass fender to crank the motor... look for bubbles.

Richard
Richard--I emptied the fuel bowl and did exactly as you said but since then I put in a different fuel pump so will do this again tomorrow. I have 3/4 tank of fuel but when I cycle the key I hear gurgling in the fuel tank. So, tomorrow I will be taking the top of the tank off and check the pick up. Someone mentioned that I should do this. Worth a shot I guess. Thanks

Old 10-29-2017, 09:24 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
6.0 fuel delivery

Originally Posted by coloradojeep1
Richard--I emptied the fuel bowl and did exactly as you said but since then I put in a different fuel pump so will do this again tomorrow. I have 3/4 tank of fuel but when I cycle the key I hear gurgling in the fuel tank. So, tomorrow I will be taking the top of the tank off and check the pick up. Someone mentioned that I should do this. Worth a shot I guess. Thanks
If there is a better code reader out there can someone please clue me in as to what I should buy? I know one of them is real spendy. Thanks

Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
If you have a laptop you can download ForScan.org for free you will just need to purchase an ELM OBDii adapter which on amazon are around $20.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 PM
xcrsp440
Fleet Mechanic
Received 91 Likes on 67 Posts
Did you check rpm while cranking. Have to have a minimum of 150 to start

Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 AM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
6.0 fuel delivery

Originally Posted by xcrsp440
Did you check rpm while cranking. Have to have a minimum of 150 to start
I haven't monitored the rpm because the engine is cranking real fast. Thanks

Old 10-30-2017, 12:55 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
6.0 fuel delivery

Anyone know which OBD2 interface is best to use with FORSCAN via a laptop. There seems to be a lot of them claiming to be the best. Thanks

Old 10-30-2017, 02:33 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
I got this one.... I haven't used it though. I got an IDS clone just after it arrived.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-30-2017, 02:51 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
6.0 fuel delivery

I got this one.... I haven't used it though. I got an IDS clone just after it arrived.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'll check this one out--thanks. Like I said, I have a scan gauge2. What will this tell me that my scan gauge wont? Wish I could afford IDS software. What clone did you get and does it require a subscription? It's going to cost me a fortune to have my 6.0 diagnosed so maybe I should look at spending more on the right software? Thanks again

Old 10-30-2017, 03:49 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
I got the Chinese clone so it's hacked software. a bit of a pain to use sometimes if it misbehaves and you really need a laptop dedicated to nothing else.

The only thing IDS does (IIRC) that no others can do is an uncompensated injector balance test.

SGII does well for monitoring PIDs but apparently it cannot pull codes very well... I am not 100% sure what that means but a lot of people say it. I wonder if it cannot read all the modules or it cant see non-active codes.

You can get the knock off IDS for $200-$300 but you have to setup the laptop. I am an IT guy and it took me a while.

Richard

Old 10-30-2017, 04:55 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
6.0 fuel delivery

I got the Chinese clone so it's hacked software. a bit of a pain to use sometimes if it misbehaves and you really need a laptop dedicated to nothing else.

The only thing IDS does (IIRC) that no others can do is an uncompensated injector balance test.

SGII does well for monitoring PIDs but apparently it cannot pull codes very well... I am not 100% sure what that means but a lot of people say it. I wonder if it cannot read all the modules or it cant see non-active codes.

You can get the knock off IDS for $200-$300 but you have to setup the laptop. I am an IT guy and it took me a while.

Richard
Thanks Richard. I did check into the OBD2 and forscan program and will order it today. I have a hard time seeing the little screen on the scan gauge anyway.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
With ForScan you can run diagnostics tests, read codes for all the modules abs,trans,pcm, etc. you can also watch multiple PID’s at the same time and disable injectors run the VGT control etc. I have a SGII that I use as a daily monitor and use ForScan for running codes and messing around with. I also use ForScan lite and a WiFi adapter for the times I don’t have the laptop. They do have ForScan lite for android and iOS but will need a WiFi adapter for iOS and a Bluetooth elm adapter for android.

This is the elm adapter I use with the laptop
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: 6.0 fuel issue