knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
hope it isn't a collapsed lower hose with no spring in side

Old 10-24-2017, 04:43 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I appreciate everyone chiming in and spitballing to help me out. You can trust me when I say that the decision to pull the head was not made lightly and was a last ditch effort to fix the problem. Here are a couple answers to the questions posted above:

I tried two coolant caps, both OEM, same result.

I tried two thermostats, both OEM long stem 192, one was tested before installation and was good, the second was installed directly from the packaging with the same results.

Brand new Alliant pump, brand new Gates hoses top and bottom with no collapsing that I saw.

Adam, we didn't do the flush like you said through the passenger head because of the way it was acting and the amount of coolant I had put in, we were confident that if there was any way for it to have any air in the system from the flush, it wasn't much at all.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is probably a really dumb question, but is the serpentine belt routed correctly? Routing it wrong I guess it would be possible to spin the pump the wrong direction, which wouldn't really move water efficiently.

That's a real stretch though...

I think you are on the right course with your prescribed path of action. I'm not sure what else to tell you to do.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I dunno...I just highly doubt air in the system would behave like this, nor would it be such a task to burp...but I could be wrong.

Jim, it's an Alliant pump, so the long stem is the one to use. It's the combination I have always gone with for that reason.

All this being said, if we pulled a head for no reason, that would be quite the story to share for years to come on the forum.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 PM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
Well I will say this I recently pulled apart my old engine that was having exact same issues you are describing blowing coolant out cap and loss of heat anyway put different engine in and had to pull old one apart for other reasons anyway found two very tiny rust lines to one of the cylinders from a water passageway which I’m assuming was my issue just thought I’d share that info was running 150cc with d66 at time

Old 10-25-2017, 07:58 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Geez, Forever... Don't scare me like that...

I really REALLY doubt the serp belt was routed wrong.... but I really REALLY hope it wasn't LOL

Thanks, Nate... I could use a couple extra days of no responsibilites before the hard freeze sets in but that's not going to happen..

Also, I just want to shout out to Byron who took a few hours and helped me troubleshoot and thrash on my truck. Thanks man for the help. It would have taken way longer if you hadn't been there organizing everything I was pulling off the truck!

Old 10-25-2017, 08:21 AM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
That wasn’t the only issue with that engine I’d say you will be good to go with a new gasket mine had three pistons starting to crack along with other reasons I pulled it I just wanted to let you know my findings where similar with that issue anyway I’m sure yours will be good to go once you get it back together good luck was recently in your shoes lol had to pull my passenger head off due to broke injector cups

Old 10-25-2017, 08:27 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
Geez, Forever... Don't scare me like that...

I really REALLY doubt the serp belt was routed wrong.... but I really REALLY hope it wasn't LOL

Thanks, Nate... I could use a couple extra days of no responsibilites before the hard freeze sets in but that's not going to happen..

Also, I just want to shout out to Byron who took a few hours and helped me troubleshoot and thrash on my truck. Thanks man for the help. It would have taken way longer if you hadn't been there organizing everything I was pulling off the truck!
Man anytime! I'm glad we could were able to do it. I had a great time, though it does suck that your truck is down. We'll get Charlie back up and running!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:33 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I've been reading along Jarrett and hope you get it running soon! This stuff is way over my head. Sounds like your in good hands though.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Ok everyone I am past due for an update.

I got the head back on the truck with surprisingly little drama. My wife worked the engine hoist and I guided the head back on nice and slow, worked like a charm. Once I got the head back on I realized that the bottom bolt near the firewall is too long to put in while the motor is in the truck... CRAP!! I ended up prying the AC condenser box out of the way just enough to squeeze the bolt in. thank goodness.

I torqued the head down per the Ford handbook with three torque sequences. Needless to say, my back and shoulder were sore the next day.

After that, I went to put the rockers back on and realized that I had rounded the bolts off the rear rocker pedestal off, so I had just left it... But I have to remove it to install the rocker.. but the head is in the truck!!! A 14" pipe wrench took care of the bolts and $22 later, I had two replacement bolts from Ford.

All the rockers installed, time for injectors. I torque all the upper bolts and pop goes the fourth one. inside the head. Broken, like my heart.

So yeah. Charlee is in time out for the winter because I really don't want to mess with extracting a bolt when it is 10 degrees outside.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:45 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Man. That sucks.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Sucks big time!!

Old 11-21-2017, 07:32 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Holy smokes that's some bad news Jarrett!

Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
That sucks Jarrett, im dealing with this with one of the work trucks but fortunatly the engine is out in the stand, well in the machine shop as I did not want make more of a mess than what it is. The stupid torque wrench is not calibrated right so i had to send it to the mobil Snap On truck.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket? Thoughts?