CEL, Temp Gauge problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Bestian
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL, Temp Gauge problems

Hey all,
I figured I would run something by you guys to see if you have had a similar experience.
First off I am currently running an F250 6.8 approx 92k miles 4.30 gears and SCT/5-star tuned to the 89 oct-perf/tow.

Early last week I was returning home and stopped at a red light when something caught my eye on my dasd. Next to the odometer was the temp warning light. I looked up at my gauge and watched it move to the max. No CEL, and no sounds or problems felt while sitting still (everything felt normal). Light turns green, I slowly step on the gas and light goes off and the gauge returns to normal.
Thursday last week I am at my credit union teller window when I heat what I thought was an older dump truck running rough when I realized after my truck started to shake that it was me that was making that sound. Temp light was on again next to the odometer, and the gauge was maxed out with the CEL this time. Complete my transaction and pull out of the drive through and its still running rough. I decide to baby it back to work which was approx 2 miles away. Ran like crap and shifted horrible. Get to work and call Mike at 5 Star and tell him what went wrong and asked if it was the tune causing it or the truck. He said that it isn't the tune and to return it to stock and call my Ford service dept. I do and after the return to stock, truck runs normal. I get it in to my service dept and they run the codes. 2 codes came back: 1)a problem with the throttle body and 2) cylinder head overheat(I'm going off of memory- this was Monday that this was done). My service guy says that these codes are usually seen paired up. He stated that it may have been a fluke that they came on, and they could not replicate the issue.

So i drove it for several days at stock tune and Wednesday switched it back to 89 perf/tow. I do not slam the gas on with the truck, and try to take it easy as much as possible.

So far as of today (Friday the 20th) the truck has ran great and no issues.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Bestian
Freshman User
Update

Hey guys,
Just an update for those that read this: I drove the truck last night to a job and as soon as I was slowing the truck down to park it in a spot, the sputtering started again with the CEL on, temp gauge maxed, and temp warning light on. I shut the truck down and went to work. When I was done, I turned the truck back on with no sputtering, nor gauge problems, but the CEl remained on. Drove it home and to work this morning with it on. While in the parking lot at work I reprogrammed it back to stock. CEL now is off. I'm going to run the truck at stock for a while (over a week) and see if that has any effect on it. If it doesn't, it almost seems like it's a problem with a tune, don't you guys think?

Thanks,
Chris
[==]

Old 10-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That’s very unusual man. Check the coolant real quick and then check next time it acts up.

High temp and CEL and running rough is very dangerous- you might be truly overheating it.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:19 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
The V10 will run on 5 cylinders when it senses an overheat condition. Even if that condition isn't real

The CHT might be going bad. Get one of those infrared point-and-shoot thermometers, and next time it does it, check the temp of the thermostat housing. If it's "normal" (180-200?) the computer thinks it's overheating but it's not.

One thing to make sure of - check the battery voltage before you do anything else. Right after shutdown, it should be at least 12.6 volts, and when running, more than 14 volts.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
The V10 will run on 5 cylinders when it senses an overheat condition. Even if that condition isn't real
That reminds me... isn’t there another recent thread on here where some guys truck was only firing half the cylinders?...

just thinking.... it’s all yours Krewat.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Yeah, but it'll swap banks back and forth. It won't run on only one bank.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:12 AM
Bestian
Freshman User
Hey guys, I'll make sure to do that. I ran the truck a fair amount over the weekend in the stock tune and nothing new to report. I took my truck to a buddy who has a code reader and no codes were found. Which is weird because Ford was able to look them up previously.
I checked the coolant and it was at the correct marker on the reservoir tank.
I am going to run the truck in stock tune for a while to see if the problem replicates itself outside aftermarket tunes, if after a week or two nothing pops up I'll switch to a custom tune and go from there.
Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate your help. I'll make sure to check those things if/when this happens again and check in.

Thanks,
Bestian
[==]

Old 10-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Bestian
Freshman User
Also Krewat, by CHT do you mean the CHT Sensor? And are there 10 of these or is there just one of them?

Never mind, google is my friend, looked it up.
Thanks again
[==]

Last edited by Bestian; 10-23-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: im an idiot
Old 10-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Bestian
Freshman User
Hey Guys,
Had the truck in stock tune since Saturday morning. Had the same problem come up again. Every time this happens its when I come to a slow stop. I was able to get the truck back to work and get a reader hooked up to it. P1299- CHT. I shot the throttle body with the thermometer and it was in the low 100's. Nothing around the area was much different, and the coolant level was normal. So I'm figuring that the CHT sensor is going bad and is a B to get to. So while I'm in there I'm going to change the plugs and boots, and thermostat. She's got 91K miles on her now. With the whole intake off, no better time to get it changed. I'll let you know how it all goes. Thanks for your help again, I really appreciate it.

[==]

Old 10-25-2017, 11:48 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bestian
Hey guys, I'll make sure to do that. I ran the truck a fair amount over the weekend in the stock tune and nothing new to report. I took my truck to a buddy who has a code reader and no codes were found. Which is weird because Ford was able to look them up previously. SNIP

[==]
It's been my experience that not all code readers are alike. There is, ahem, diversity in their performance. The dealer probably has a spendy scanner.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:09 AM
Bestian
Freshman User
Completely agree with you Reno, but this scanner agreed with the first codes given to me from the Ford dealer. And since they charge $65 to diagnose the problem, I feel comfortable that the cheapo one is correct.

Nice Expedition, btw

[==]

Old 10-26-2017, 07:38 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bestian

Nice Expedition, btw

[==]
That's Gantor the XcrushN, now owned by a buddy, sigh

Old 10-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Bestian
Freshman User
That's too bad man. Start looking for another lol!

Old 11-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Bestian
Freshman User
Well as of Friday, we put a new cylinder head temp sensor, new plugs, new boots, and new thermostat, not to mention the new gaskets associated with the parts. Truck runs great now. I've put over 200 miles on it so far and no CEL, and no limp mode. Time will tell for sure. Something that we noticed is that the old CHT sensor had a different "tip" vs the new one. Old one looked like it had a hole at the end of it, where the new one looked like it held a tiny "disc". Didn't know if they had redesigned it or not. No Corrosion was found around the CHT sensor, not sure why it started to bug out.

Plugs looked in pretty good shape. The truck is an old municipality vehicle from California, so maybe they had already switched out the plugs. Oh well, they are 0-timed now.

Truck is back to 89 perf/tow 5-star tune and really gets up and goes.

Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it
Bestian
[==]

Old 11-08-2017, 10:10 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Nice! And thanks for reporting back

Quick Reply: CEL, Temp Gauge problems