1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 - Project Thread from United Kingdom

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:45 AM
shadderszxr
Mountain Pass
Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
1951 F1 - Project Thread from United Kingdom

Hi Everyone,

I'm Shad and live in the midlands in the UK. I've been lurking round here for years watching what everyone does and always wanted to do something similar. I've loved the old 50's cars and trucks since a kid and seeing as I'm 40 next year (a scary thought) I thought it was time to try something different in my garage

I've been messing about with motorbike projects for years and done many build threads on similar boards. But I'm now going completely out of my comfort zone. I not back with general mechanics, paint and will try anything. But I've never welded, never really done serious car repairs past replacement parts, brakes etc. So guess I will be reading a lot on here.

For me the F1 or the F100 are just the best looking truck out there. I have been waiting for some time to get the right one at the right money (not easy on this island I can tell you!). I came up with one of each last month, a already modified F100 or an almost standard and original F1. The F1 swung it for me. So see below my starting point and I will keep posting as time allows with what I do. This will be a long term project (which going off my previous history will never end lol):

Name:  TlVts0s.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  2.45 MB
Name:  1IwQp9I.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  2.75 MB
Name:  JtY7gns.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  2.21 MB
Name:  2CZIVte.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  1.96 MB
Name:  AbpwFkN.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  2.14 MB

Old 10-20-2017, 03:57 AM
shadderszxr
Mountain Pass
So I collected the truck last weekend and took it to my work service unit (not that work know about it, but the office is far enough away and they never visit lol)

I have had a look around it more and it looks quite solid as a starting point. I want to get this on the road quite quick as I have outlayed a lot in the first place and I can't keep it here long. So basic overhaul this year, then next winter will be full cab off jobbie.

My plan is:

* Get the bed off, strip and paint the chassis, then rebuild with reclaimed wood
* Weld new floor pan in cab (some rot)
* Paint
* Full service and replace parts as required
* Change tyres & wheels is possible to steels
* Rebuild interior
* Lower front a back suspension

Name:  o3QN9wU.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  2.42 MB
Name:  RhyxmVQ.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  1.44 MB

Old 10-20-2017, 04:07 AM
shadderszxr
Mountain Pass
Parts needed

So, this is where you all come in......

I have taken a look round the Engine and laughed quite a lot! I believe this truck works on premix, part gas part sand:

Name:  BbiOZ81.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  2.24 MB

There is sand everywhere.. This is a small problem that I can happily sort out. The main issue I have is the exhaust manifold, its broke round the bolts and cracked on the other side two. This is on the passenger side, but where ever I look I can't find a standard OEM part for this. They all tend to be slightly different or modified, from looking at all of your posts these after market parts can cause issues further down.

Does anyone either have one for an 8BA Flathead passenger side I can buy, or knows where to get one from??

Name:  UAewA8l.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  685.2 KB

I am happy with this as a starting point though, the chassis looks solid and whoever had this before me as a project has kept all the parts labelled in bags and doesn't look like they have done anything to the structure that I would need to undo!
Name:  SaRBpCv.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  1.63 MB

Old 10-20-2017, 05:32 AM
rico56
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi there!

Welcome here in the forum from my end and greetings from the continent! I've been in the U.K. not two weeks ago. Nice Truck and project You have! I wish you good luck and a lot of fun with the truck. Keep us up to date with the process and of course we always wanna see pics of the process...

Old 10-20-2017, 07:00 AM
jcslocum
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Shad, That's a great looking start of a project!!! I like the way it looks right now as a bit of a rat rod... I get to the UK 2-3 times a year and maybe we can meet up sometime. We have an office in Walsall and a very good buddy that lives in Worcester. Keep the updates coming!!

I may have the manifolds you need. Let me take some pics. We are going with headers on our 53 project.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:06 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 373 Likes on 160 Posts
Welcome, that's a very nice truck to start with.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Shad,
Welcome Aboard! You look like you got a good solid cab... that is a great start.
The mechanical stuff can get sorted out pretty quickly but fixing cab rot is a long
process. Looks like you have home made running boards & the front bumper could
be after market. We took the sand in the gas opportunity to change our tank over to
a 22 gallon '70 mustang tank under the bed.

Looking good over there in England. Been to Bracknell down by Reading
a lot .... never did get totally comfortable driving on the opposite side of the car/road.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 AM
shadderszxr
Mountain Pass
Thank you all for your kind welcome.

Yeah I'm pleased with the overall truck and will be a simple start, but will get more complex as I get into it I'm sure. The only issue with the cab is the floor, which you can buy, so not concerned (only shipping costs are twice the buy price, $98 for the floor, $180 to ship!!).

The running boards are after market with out the ridges, but I can live with that, they are steel and strong which will do. I'm thinking of adding in either wood strips or some flat bar to make some ridges in them.

As for the sand, it just made me laugh, obviously this is from a dry state if there is sand!

My vin plate shows it's a 51 (original cab, chassis and engine) But not sure where it was built. What's the LU? (F1R1LU)

Old 10-20-2017, 10:43 AM
shadderszxr
Mountain Pass
This year I'm going down the lines of rat rod, but not with all the crap bolted to it. Just take it back to the metal and see what is under the white primer. I think it may still be slightly rusty under there as there is a bit of an orange haze coming through the white

Then I will just blow it over one colour (with a u) and miss out the parts where it's naturally fading. It's took over 60 years for the body to mature, it would be a shame to cover in bondo

Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,482 Posts
Originally Posted by shadderszxr

Then I will just blow it over one colour (with a u) and miss out the parts where it's naturally fading. It's took over 60 years for the body to mature, it would be a shame to cover in bondo
Why don't you just blow over it with one color (with no u) and then work on stuff under the bonnet, but before you drive it make sure the windscreen is clean. When you drive it look out for those big lorries and be aware as you approach a zebra pole. Once you get to your flat relax and watch your favorite football team on the telly!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome from another UK truck owner

I have some Flathead exhaust manifolds you can have

Located in Hertfordshire but travel with work so should be able to get them to you

I'll send you a PM

Old 10-20-2017, 12:11 PM
shadderszxr
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by abe
Why don't you just blow over it with one color (with no u) and then work on stuff under the bonnet, but before you drive it make sure the windscreen is clean. When you drive it look out for those big lorries and be aware as you approach a zebra pole. Once you get to your flat relax and watch your favorite football team on the telly!
love it..... actually lol'd !!

just not into football .... more a MotoGP fan myself

Old 10-20-2017, 07:36 PM
jcslocum
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You must mean soccer, football is played here in America.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:42 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 625 Likes on 333 Posts
That is a nice solid truck you have there.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome mate! I'm from Reading but I now live in central Utah!

Wicked looking truck man, tagging along to watch the progress!

Quick Reply: 1951 F1 - Project Thread from United Kingdom