Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Engin Flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 11:50 AM
tom_foreman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engin Flush

I also read the Miata Forum. I have come across a suggestion there that I would like your opinion on.

Miata's seem to be prone to noise from the lifters. A tapping or ticking sound. Different people deal with it in different ways. Some use a specific oil and OEM filter. Others change to different weight oil. Then there is one who recommends doing an engine flush with the following steps:

[B]1. Drain the oil, remove the old filter.
2. Put a CHEAPO' oil filter on.
3. Put 3 quarts of ATF fluid and 1 Qt. of heavy weight motor oil in and run it for about an hour.
4. Drain the ATF and oil.
5. Pour 1 gallon of pure kerosine in the engine and let it drain VERY well, it will flush all of the particles broken up by the ATF and oil mixture.
6. Put GOOD oil filter on and fill with Mobil 1 synthetic.

No More Ticking... I know it sounds crazy, but my motor just purrs now. Try it before you go replacing lifters.
B]

Now the reason I ask has to do with cleaning up after a blown head gasket. When the coolant gets into the oil, should I do something like this to clean the engine out before putting the van back into service?

Does anyone see any harm in this approach?

Old 09-10-2003, 12:28 PM
cawamor
Freshman User
Engin Flush

Originally posted by tom_foreman
[B]I also read the Miata Forum. I have come across a suggestion there that I would like your opinion on.

Miata's seem to be prone to noise from the lifters. A tapping or ticking sound. Different people deal with it in different ways. Some use a specific oil and OEM filter. Others change to different weight oil. Then there is one who recommends doing an engine flush with the following steps:

1. Drain the oil, remove the old filter.
2. Put a CHEAPO' oil filter on.
3. Put 3 quarts of ATF fluid and 1 Qt. of heavy weight motor oil in and run it for about an hour.
4. Drain the ATF and oil.
5. Pour 1 gallon of pure kerosine in the engine and let it drain VERY well, it will flush all of the particles broken up by the ATF and oil mixture.
6. Put GOOD oil filter on and fill with Mobil 1 synthetic.

No More Ticking... I know it sounds crazy, but my motor just purrs now. Try it before you go replacing lifters.
B]

Now the reason I ask has to do with cleaning up after a blown head gasket. When the coolant gets into the oil, should I do something like this to clean the engine out before putting the van back into service?

Does anyone see any harm in this approach?

Check this link...

http://www.auto-rx.com/

Old 09-10-2003, 12:59 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engin Flush

I see several things wrong with this approach.

AT fluid is not compatible with some of the elastic compounds used for seals. I know from stupidity - using ATF in an oil can and an air tool. The seals in both items swelled and were ruined. Given the array of unique sealant materials found in an engine, I would shudder to add ATF to an engine block.

Ditto, for using kerosene as a flush. The residual oil on all the bearing surfaces will be stripped away. The protocol as stated does not say whether to run the engine to distribute the kerosene but how else would you be able to flush all the ATF unless you did? Running an engine in this condition is just inviting destruction.

In short, no way would I ever consider abusing an engine this way. Whoever thought this up must have been pulling your leg.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:40 PM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
Engin Flush

Aerocolorado:

1st off it wasn't me.

But...
My dad a born and raised Okie would before an oil change, warm the oil/engine up then put in about a quart of Desiel fuel (in with the oil), run the engine about 10min then drain the oil, change the filter, refill with fresh oil.

It did quiet the lifters. Cleaned out the gunk.

on the other hand...
I would think that running the engine with just a gallon of kerosene in it would more that likely light up the kerosene and blow-up engine.

Old 09-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Kerry
New User
Engin Flush

I've always been skeptical about engine flushes. All the concoctions that have been suggested over the years to break up deposits, sludge, etc. etc. probably do break them up. My concern is that are they really flushed out of the engine when you're finished, or are you just breaking this stuff up and allowing it to circulate through the engine?

It might be worth it when you have an engine with lifter or similar problems, but otherwise I really wonder if its doing more harm than good.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:00 AM
tom_foreman
Elder User
Engin Flush

Good question. However I have read here that coolant is corrosive. Having coolant mixed in with the oil would be bad. Do I just drain the oil/coolant mixture and fill with clean oil (after the head gasket) or do I use something to flush the coolant. Which is worse, the coolant or the flush? An interesting question, no?

Old 09-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Avanti
Elder User
Engin Flush

In most cases the flushing whipes out the babbit material on the crankshaft bearings. Seen a good number of engines screwed up because of flushing. They really started knocking. Many years ago I used Marvel Mystery oil & this freed up stuck or tickng hydraulic lifters. I added one can to the oil durring oil change.