2002 Excursion Radiator Durability - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Excursion Radiator Durability

Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 PM
New User

Excursioner69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2002 Excursion Radiator Durability

My 2002 Ex has a plastic radiator resevoir and i am curious about the overall durability of these radiators. I use my Ex as an overland camping rig almost exclusively, so being miles off grid with a weak radiator or components is a concern. My buddy just had his toyota radiator blow apart on him way off grid and he has a similar plastic resevoir like me. Just wondering what y'all think.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Elder User

Oldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursioner69 View Post
My 2002 Ex has a plastic radiator resevoir and i am curious about the overall durability of these radiators. I use my Ex as an overland camping rig almost exclusively, so being miles off grid with a weak radiator or components is a concern. My buddy just had his toyota radiator blow apart on him way off grid and he has a similar plastic resevoir like me. Just wondering what y'all think.
A new radiator and coolant tank is cheap enough, just replace it and have piece of mind if you need that. Then you can do all the hoses, water pump, thermostat and flush at the same time.

Once you get that done, chances are then something else will let you down

You might be worried about nothing, but then don't know how your X has been maintained in the past. Radiators don't appear on here to be big failure items.

What about everything else that could POSSIBLY go wrong, you will drive yourself nuts.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Postmaster

pirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant futurepirate4x4_camo has a brilliant future
Don't forget the fan clutch, belt tensioner and belt. Anyone of those failing is just as crippling as a faulty radiator.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Posting Guru

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursioner69 View Post

My radiator blew out before the overflow. That was more than 3 years ago and I still have that overflow. Trying to guess what will fail will drive you nuts and cost a lot of cash.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
My plastic-tank radiator failed on me while pulling a buddie's 5th wheel. The tank on top (right at the hose) cracked just under the hose connection. I couldn't see it, so I couldn't figure out where all the coolant was coming from for a while. I initially thought the clamp wasn't tight enough. Fan was slinging coolant all over the place. Really made a mess. That was at about 240k miles. I replaced with all aluminum option. Have had no problems since. Just turned 300k.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 PM
New User

Excursioner69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
My plastic-tank radiator failed on me while pulling a buddie's 5th wheel. The tank on top (right at the hose) cracked just under the hose connection. I couldn't see it, so I couldn't figure out where all the coolant was coming from for a while. I initially thought the clamp wasn't tight enough. Fan was slinging coolant all over the place. Really made a mess. That was at about 240k miles. I replaced with all aluminum option. Have had no problems since. Just turned 300k.
Thanks NicMike. That is what I was hoping to hear, general experience with durability and estimated life expectancy. I am at 152k currently so I think I will simply monitor the plastic overflow for cracks before each trip I go off grid.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Post Fiend

hasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud of
I've got 190k on my stocker and it's still working but I do have a coolant leak at the front of the motor I'm trying to locate and it never occurred to me that it could be the radiator. One more thing to look into. I know in the off road community the plastic end tanks often separate from the aluminum where they are crimped because of the flex from severe use.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Elder User

R&T Babich has a very good reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a very good reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasteranger View Post
I've got 190k on my stocker and it's still working but I do have a coolant link at the front of the motor I'm trying to locate and it never occurred to me that it could be the radiator. One more thing to look into. I know in the off road community the plastic end tanks often separate from the aluminum where they are crimped because of the flex from severe use.
We've had 3 1st gen Explorers, an Exped and an Excur with the plastic tank crimped seal radiators. One Explorer went 218k with no problems, but blew a freeze plug at 20 years and died. The other 2 Explorers at around 25 years had around 110k on them - one had a leak near the input hose (hottest water) and the other had a tank split. The 2003 Exped has 170k and the 2002 Excur 120k with no issues.
The aluminum core has tabs that are bent over holding a seal against the plastic tanks. I suspect with age/heat (20+ years / 200k+) the tabs weaken and the plastic can split. I figure when I get 20 years or 200k on the Exped or Excur I'll get new radiators.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Posting Guru

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
Quote:

Mine blew out in the same spot. Towing on the interstate in 95F. I had about 190k on it when it went.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:36 PM
Freshman User

msuser92 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Mike, how did you pull that 5th wheel with your Excursion? Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XixtZqpILm4
Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuser92 View Post
Mike, how did you pull that 5th wheel with your Excursion? Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XixtZqpILm4
I'm going to guess that's a link to a TowBuddy or equivalent. You have to put a space in between the URL and any smileys of the parser will think the smiley is part of the URL (as is did there).
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Freshman User

msuser92 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I'm going to guess that's a link to a TowBuddy or equivalent. You have to put a space in between the URL and any smileys of the parser will think the smiley is part of the URL (as is did there).
I think I fixed it. At least it worked after I edited it. And no it's not a TowBuddy.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 AM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuser92 View Post
I think I fixed it.
Nope, you still have the smiley with the url address.

Here ya go:

I haven't seen that vid (or of the same thing but with the VW bug) in a long time! Reps!

Stewart
Old 10-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Junior User

jcthorne is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The problem with the radiator plastic inlet is replacing the OEM clamps with screw drive clamps that un-evenly load the plastic neck. Stick with the spring lock clamps on the plastic radiator necks.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
I refer to any large travel trailer as a 5th wheel out of habit. My bad. It was a bumper pull.

In regards to the video, I love the idea. The problem isn't that they aren't made any more, it is that the tow vehicle in the video isn't made like that anymore.

Jcthorne, you are likely very correct in your observation. My X came with worm drive clamps on it when I bought it, and the neck broke right under the worm drive clamp. I now have t-bolt clamps on my all-aluminum replacement, so I don't have to deal with that anymore.