2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 F250 PUCK issue (5th wheel pucks in bed of truck)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:00 AM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder how much the mandate to not shim is corporate lawyer talk rather than sound engineering judgement?

In my mind, one or more well placed shims is the solution.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM
michaelschue
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f350ktm
Man, it seems the only source of the issue that remains is the frame welding.
Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

Thank you..................I really believe as well that the issue is the welded bracket on the frame. I think something was off and the bracket was placed correctly.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 AM
michaelschue
Junior User
Originally Posted by backtrack2015
I'm in the same boat. I cannot budge the B&W by hand if all four pucks are adjusted tight. If I release two of them, I can slide the hitch easily.

I called B&W and we talked about it. I decided to blame the truck immediately since the bed is off center by 0.25 inches and the driver's door is far enough off it looks like it hasn't been closed all the way. It didn't seem much of a stretch that Ford would have some loose tolerances for the puck placement as well.

I haven't bothered my dealer yet about anything. I'm developing a short punch-list for the first oil-change. I'm curious to see how they rectify this for you. Thanks for posting.

Edit to add: I wonder if B&W may end up shipping a set of shims with Ford hitches to place between the puck and feet of the hitch as needed.

Your issue sounds exactly like mine. When I first took the issue to Ford (local dealer) I prooved the pucks were unlevel by using a long level. Sat the level on the bed rib and the front puck was level with the bottom of the level and the back puck had a large gap between the level and puck. Pictures were taken and sent to Ford Corp. They said to replace the puck system ASAP. The mechanic said when he loosed the puck system from the truck is make a noise from being bound and torqued onto the frame.

After the replacement puck system was installed, I still could see the difference is height of the pucks. At that time I called Ford Customer Care and started a complaint on the issue. Since they have sent out an Engineer and template from Ford to measure the pucks. The template was at some dealership out west, obviously measuring another system.

B&W has been great........B&W will not shim because they are level. Ford told the engineer and technicians they are NOT to shim under no circumstances.

Please stay in touch and let me know if you get any answers.
Im scheduled for a weekly call from Ford case worker today.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM
michaelschue
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mud Doc
Wow, sad situation. Ford is not known for stepping up on their non-existent mistakes.
A non-slider fit good in my new 450, but has to be tightened way tight to keep from 'clunking' in the pucks.
I do appreciate the pics of the underbed parts--had no idea how it was set up.
Can you tell which of the 4 legs is the low/high one? Any chance of YOU putting a shim under the low side if the peg will still engage the puck? That would seem to me to be the easiest way to get you on the road with no safety concerns. Tolerances are just that--fitment allowances. +/-3mm can be as much as 6mm at times, seems like you got the odd one.
Always remember my hot-rod days of finding an engine that was 'blueprinted' from the factory--that is, all the clearances fit perfectly. As compared to one that all the clearances were at the high end of the 'tolerance.'
Wish you luck in getting a positive resolution to this.
I believe the issue is the front passenger side puck. B&W and Ford both have said NOT to shim. Neither the puck system or the hitch were designed for any type of shim use. The one puck being higher that the other three throws everything off. Since this is a slide hitch, if I tighten the handles up real tight it then binds the slide. My other concern is the hitch slides on a rail on each side of the hitch. There are a top and bottom roller in the front and in the back of the hitch on each side that rolls on the rail. Over time sliding the hitch back and forth using force of the 5th wheel what is this doing to the rollers. No one knows, and there could be malfunction on the side of the road who knows where. Not to mention the damage it will cause.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Today I cut a puck-shaped hole in a 2.5" steel flat washer (~ 3 millimeters thick) and set it on top of the Ford puck (under the hitch foot) on my front driver's-side. That removed the wobble in the hitch with the pucks unlocked. Now with all the pucks tight she slides with one hand.

I don't see why this isn't an approved solution by both parties.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:42 PM
j759ll
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see the brackets are bolted on each side of the frame inside and outside not sure why anyone is blaming a weld. and shimming under the slider on the one puck would not cause any issue if you used a hihg grade washer the bolts have them with no issues

Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 AM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Originally Posted by michaelschue
Your issue sounds exactly like mine. When I first took the issue to Ford (local dealer) I prooved the pucks were unlevel by using a long level. Sat the level on the bed rib and the front puck was level with the bottom of the level and the back puck had a large gap between the level and puck. Pictures were taken and sent to Ford Corp. They said to replace the puck system ASAP. The mechanic said when he loosed the puck system from the truck is make a noise from being bound and torqued onto the frame.

After the replacement puck system was installed, I still could see the difference is height of the pucks. At that time I called Ford Customer Care and started a complaint on the issue. Since they have sent out an Engineer and template from Ford to measure the pucks. The template was at some dealership out west, obviously measuring another system.

B&W has been great........B&W will not shim because they are level. Ford told the engineer and technicians they are NOT to shim under no circumstances.

Please stay in touch and let me know if you get any answers.
Im scheduled for a weekly call from Ford case worker today.
Was the replacement puck system out-of-level at the same puck(s) as the original one that came with your truck?

Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 PM
michaelschue
Junior User
Was the replacement puck system out-of-level at the same puck(s) as the original one that came with your truck?
Yes the same exact puck........Passengers front sits higher than other 3.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:39 PM
truckzilla 34
New User
Frame not right.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
am I the only one that is really less than impressed with the whole "puck" system that the new trucks have??
Huge improvement over the rail system. Those pins sliding in for the rails were sometimes a pinching bit-ch!. My puck system is flawless and locks in with a single finger flip of the cam-lever arm.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
Huge improvement over the rail system. Those pins sliding in for the rails were sometimes a pinching bit-ch!. My puck system is flawless and locks in with a single finger flip of the cam-lever arm.
You either have a very strong finger or your cams must need their tension adjusted.

I like the puck system and I love the B&W hitch. Obviously both parties play a role in my slider's issues. Ford should build things straight. B&W should build-in some adjustability since they know they are dealing with an outfit like Ford.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:50 PM
afacey
Senior User
I have the same issue with my f350 built in april. My reese elite hitch won't latch unless I put the weight of the trailer on it. Only downside is I have to remember to unlatch one corner before unhitching.

I since have bought an andersen ultimate hitch. I have no concerns about the aluminum bed. It actually sits on top of the 5th wheel pucks. I don't have enough tows with it provide any real feedback yet though. My first tow it was too loose and I'm waiting to pick my TH up from service to try it again. There are a lot of happy guys using them though.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:07 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the picture the mounting plates on the frame appear to be bolted, not welded. I would imagine that some adjustment could be made to these even if only a little.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:22 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You either have a very strong finger or your cams must need their tension adjusted.

I like the puck system and I love the B&W hitch. Obviously both parties play a role in my slider's issues. Ford should build things straight. B&W should build-in some adjustability since they know they are dealing with an outfit like Ford.
Agreed, have to use my foot to kick mine in.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I should of added; I went from the B&W (for my prior 5er) to the Reese 25K Elite. I've never fit in the B&W in the new 17, but the Reese is simply drop in and go, finger strength at best to swing the puck arms in. There is no chatter when you tug up & down when locked in, so I would say the cams are locked in.

So being that I'm using the Reese Elite (which I believe is what Ford is using as their factory hitch).... zero issues, perfect fit.

Quick Reply: 2017 F250 PUCK issue (5th wheel pucks in bed of truck)