6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

7.3 owner on the fence of a 6.7 ~ Pro's-Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,448 Likes on 894 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Let's see. From my perspective;

The 6.7:
Makes your bank account lighter.
Sucks in MPG department.
Sucks in the department of behind the rear seat storage on a crew cab.
Under rear seat space on crew cab is smaller, but at least you can lock it.
Power seats sit too high and reduce headroom. Sunroof reduces headroom even more so that it becomes an issue if you're tall.
Has a few issues with spun bearings, but they seem to be mostly sorted out by 50k or so.
Less legroom on captains chairs due to the center console taking up the center hump.
Lack of clip on the center console to hold notepad in place.
20" wheels make the ride miserable on rough roads (bouncing almost out of the lane)
Longer, softer springs means the rear end sags if you put it under a heavy load or stare at it too hard.
A fuel system that can cause $10 in damage if it gets some water in it.
A million electronic gizmos just waiting to have a bad day.
I also come from driving a stick shift, so my biggest complaint is when I go to mash on the skinny pedal because I need to get around someone, the delay in response is agonizing. It's almost as if I can count 1 mississippi.............2 mississippi.............. and then it finally wakes up.
Brakes also feel softer to me too, but stopping distance doesn't seem to have changed, so it's likely just a the way it feels thing.

I can't fix the storage issues, but most of the others I can address. I'm not looking for a tuner until I cross the aforementioned 50k or so mark just in case.

Some of the million electronic gizmos are nice. Be sure to get one with power folding and telescoping mirrors if you get one. Forgetting to adjust the mirrors before or after hooking a trailer is no longer a concern, and going through the drive through at the bank, the power fold option comes in handy. I actually use drive through's now that I can hear what the folks on the other end are saying (well at least some of the time. Some of those speakers sound like Charlie Brown's teacher)

From my perspective I disagree with a lot said ^^^^ when comparing my '12 6.7PSD Lariat to our 03 7.3PSD Lariat

The interior on the 6.7 trucks is improved in so many ways I could spend way more time than I care to.

Interior noise on the '12 truck running down the highway is very nice and quit. The '03 you can barely hear yourself think its so loud.

I'm 6'4" and my Lariat power seats height is perfect for my size as is the 03 truck.

Front suspension on my '12 with coil springs vs the 03 inverted leafs is light years better for ride quality.

Tow ratings on the '12 is much better

Power and performance the 6.7PSD is hands down superior. Turbo lag is very minimal compared to the 7.3 or even the 6.0.

6.7PSD 6 speed transmission performance and reliability is superior

My '12 6.7PSD with 129k miles has been in the shop twice. Once for a emissions recall and another for a Nox sensor failure.

Yes the 6.7PSD engine bay, exhaust system, fuel system is more complex than the 7.3PSD and there simply is more opportunities for a failure, but given a choice to drive a 6.7PSD or a 7.3PSD as my daily driver for me the 6.7PSD is the hands down winner in just about every category I can think off.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:03 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the 6r140 transmission is the most under appreciated and overlooked component when doing these debates. It’s a great trans and the M mode is very well done.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:23 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will list my 7.3 at a ridiculously high amount, and if it sells......then I'll find a nice 6.7. If it doesn't then I still have a great truck

Old 10-12-2017, 12:45 PM
WoundedVet
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went from an '01 7.3 to a '14 6.7. I love them both and have no remorse moving on to the 6.7 full-time. Great truck!

Old 10-12-2017, 06:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
From my perspective I disagree with a lot said ^^^^ when comparing my '12 6.7PSD Lariat to our 03 7.3PSD Lariat
I don't mind you disagreeing with me, but the only things you mentioned in your post that were slightly different than mine was the headroom and legroom. You didn't address any of the other items?

And I never said headroom (except for the sunroof option) or legroom wasn't adequate, just reduced. I used to rest my right foot on the center hump on long trips in the 02. With captains chairs, that's just not an option on the new ones, or do you disagree with that too?

As for power, tow ratings, transmission reliability, etc. those had already been covered and I saw no reason to bring them up again. I did comment on the noise level though.

But I'm still curious as to what all you disagree with in my previous statement? Storage behind the rear seat? Missing clip on the center console? What exactly did I get so wrong if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:05 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I'm still curious as to what all you disagree with in my previous statement? Storage behind the rear seat? Missing clip on the center console? What exactly did I get so wrong if you don't mind me asking?
I'll take a crack at that as I disagree with some of it:

Fuel mileage of my '99 7.3 and '15 6.7 are nearly identical, equipped identically, driven over the same roads, with the same loads, the same way.

Turbo lag or overall throttle response seems at least as good and probably better than the 7.3, power is nearly double making reserve power nearly triple (may depend on the year since the turbo changed in '15).

Brakes seem better, pedal feels about the same, braking power noticeably better.

Many of the other points are a matter of personal preference and may be model specific. I do agree that these are expensive, complex machines, with a lot to go wrong.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went from a 7.3L to a 6.7L. Quite honestly I loved my 7.3L, but I'll never go back.

Let's see. From my perspective;

The 6.7:
Makes your bank account lighter.
Depends on your perspective. When I bought my 7.3L I thought that was expensive at the time and had a hard time justifying the cost.

Sucks in MPG department.
My 6.7L gets the exact same fuel economy as my old 7.3L, and the same economy as my buddy's bone stock 7.3L. Empty, towing, etc. Same.

My wife swears the 6.7L gets better economy, but I've compared receipts to the old truck from a while back.

Sucks in the department of behind the rear seat storage on a crew cab.
Both of my trucks crew cabs, I fit the same amount of stuff behind the rear seat in the new truck as I did the old truck.

Under rear seat space on crew cab is smaller, but at least you can lock it.
The old truck I couldn't lift the bottom of the rear seat at all for access. The new truck I can. Big advantage there for the 6.7L.

Power seats sit too high and reduce headroom. Sunroof reduces headroom even more so that it becomes an issue if you're tall.
I'm 6'4" and sunroofs have always been a problem for me in almost every truck from various years. I'm even talking Chevy's. Have to lean the seat back weird to keep from hitting my head.

As for the direct comparison between my old truck vs new, the seat in the new truck does not quite go down as far as the old one. However without the sunroof I still have plenty of headroom.

Has a few issues with spun bearings, but they seem to be mostly sorted out by 50k or so.
That's very rare. 7.3L's have their share of rare issues too, like all engines.

Less legroom on captains chairs due to the center console taking up the center hump.
The bench seat is an option on the 6.7L. Both of my trucks have the bench seat. So nothing changed on mine. Same leg room, but I will say the 6.7L seats are more comfortable.

Lack of clip on the center console to hold notepad in place.
Lack of locking storage under the front middle jump seat on the 7.3L.

20" wheels make the ride miserable on rough roads (bouncing almost out of the lane)
I'm running 18's on the new truck. Old truck had 20's. New truck rides smoother.

And yes for a while my old truck had a lift. I'm talking about when I took the lift off and went back to stock springs.

Longer, softer springs means the rear end sags if you put it under a heavy load or stare at it too hard.
I've towed heavy loads with both of my trucks. I will say the new truck squats sooner, but once you get up near the payload capacity, the old truck sags more.

A fuel system that can cause $10 in damage if it gets some water in it.
The 7.3L loves to trash $5K transmissions in a hurry. Mine didn't make it to 100K miles.

A million electronic gizmos just waiting to have a bad day.
Mine has always run great. First time my 7.3L left me stranded was around the 60K mile mark. I'm at 50K on the 6.7L and never been stranded yet. I plan to own this truck for 10 years so we'll see which one leaves me stranded the most times. The 7.3L is up there with leaving me up a creek without a paddle for: blown HPO lines (1 time), CPS (x3), ICP (x2), leaking injector o-rings and running out of oil (x1), alternator (x3), starter (x1). Probably more but that's what I can remember. So if my math is right that's 11 times stranded.

I also come from driving a stick shift, so my biggest complaint is when I go to mash on the skinny pedal because I need to get around someone, the delay in response is agonizing. It's almost as if I can count 1 mississippi.............2 mississippi.............. and then it finally wakes up.
My truck was heavily modified by the end, but it still had some noticeable turbo lag. Side-by-side comparison my old truck would probably pull away from the line slightly faster than the new one.

But comparing with my buddies stock 7.3L... not even close. The 6.7L runs away with heavier loads like nothing is back there.

Brakes also feel softer to me too, but stopping distance doesn't seem to have changed, so it's likely just a the way it feels thing.
I never noticed much of a difference in brakes.

I can't fix the storage issues, but most of the others I can address. I'm not looking for a tuner until I cross the aforementioned 50k or so mark just in case.
I have no plans to ever put a tuner on my 6.7L. It will remain stock. Went down that rabbit hole once.

Some of the million electronic gizmos are nice. Be sure to get one with power folding and telescoping mirrors if you get one. Forgetting to adjust the mirrors before or after hooking a trailer is no longer a concern, and going through the drive through at the bank, the power fold option comes in handy. I actually use drive through's now that I can hear what the folks on the other end are saying (well at least some of the time. Some of those speakers sound like Charlie Brown's teacher)
I do like the creature comforts and the quietness of the 6.7L. That's why I'll never go back.

Ford did a really good job with the 6.7L.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:40 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Well I made my decision, and my 7.3 is officially up FOR SALE. We'll see what the 7.3 can bring to the table. The premium is pretty high in Arizona for them, I'm asking a ton

Old 10-13-2017, 08:22 PM
1qwktrk
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by UP_There
Well I made my decision, and my 7.3 is officially up FOR SALE. We'll see what the 7.3 can bring to the table. The premium is pretty high in Arizona for them, I'm asking a ton
I went about it the same way, listed my 7.3 fairly high to see what I could fetch. the market is still really commanding a premium for those trucks.
my 240k mile SCSB sold for 14k. The six years I owned it including a little finance charge all maintenance cost me less then 6k. It was a no brainer sale. Plus I can write off a large chunk of the payment of the new truck off for my business.
I love so much about the new truck. I do miss the mechanical sounds of the old truck sometimes. My mildly modded old truck had way better throttle response and felt far more snappy around town then the new truck. New truck feels like you need to get into throttle more to get it moving.
I miss the turbo whistle and the howl from the exhaust.
The ride quality over the older trucks is unmatched.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You're going to make this quote thing difficult Curtis.

Originally Posted by Pocket
Depends on your perspective. When I bought my 7.3L I thought that was expensive at the time and had a hard time justifying the cost.
I paid 29k for my 02 F350 brand new. I paid more for my 16 than I did for my first house.

My 6.7L gets the exact same fuel economy as my old 7.3L, and the same economy as my buddy's bone stock 7.3L. Empty, towing, etc. Same.
I wish I got even close fuel economy. My 02 ran high 18's, low 19's in the MPG department running empty after the switch to USLD. The 16 gets about 15.2 when running empty.

Both of my trucks crew cabs, I fit the same amount of stuff behind the rear seat in the new truck as I did the old truck.
We need to compare pictures of behind the back seat, because I've got a whole lot less room back there. Son in law still has my 02 so perhaps I'll take measurements for comparison, but I know the all the stuff I used to carry under and behind my back seat (crew cab on both) didn't fit in the new truck.

The old truck I couldn't lift the bottom of the rear seat at all for access. The new truck I can. Big advantage there for the 6.7L.
Personal preference, but you're not disagreeing with me here. I mentioned the locking storage already.

As for the direct comparison between my old truck vs new, the seat in the new truck does not quite go down as far as the old one.
He didn't ask if it was adequate, he asked what the differences are. As I, and now you, have pointed out, the seat does not go down as far on the new power seat trucks as the old ones. No one is bashing anything here, it is what it is.

That's very rare. 7.3L's have their share of rare issues too, like all engines.
Yes, like all engines. Except that the OP knows about the issues with the 7.3, but perhaps not the 6.7.

The bench seat is an option on the 6.7L. Both of my trucks have the bench seat. So nothing changed on mine. Same leg room, but I will say the 6.7L seats are more comfortable.
I have to have a center console. If you think I keep a lot of stuff behind the back seat, you should see the console. To me, my 02 seats were more comfortable, but I did have them rebuilt with extra padding so it's hard to compare stock to stock.

I'm running 18's on the new truck. Old truck had 20's. New truck rides smoother.
So we agree, 20's suck.

I've towed heavy loads with both of my trucks. I will say the new truck squats sooner, but once you get up near the payload capacity, the old truck sags more.
Can't really comment on this. I wore out the springs on my 02 and put air bags in the rear long ago, so I don't really remember how bad it sagged under full load. I remember my 99 F250 bottoming out under a relatively light load, so perhaps you're right on this point depending on the spring package.

The 7.3L loves to trash $5K transmissions in a hurry. Mine didn't make it to 100K miles.
560,000 plus miles on the factory transmission for mine. You should have ordered a ZF-6.

Mine has always run great. First time my 7.3L left me stranded was around the 60K mile mark. I'm at 50K on the 6.7L and never been stranded yet. I plan to own this truck for 10 years so we'll see which one leaves me stranded the most times. The 7.3L is up there with leaving me up a creek without a paddle for: blown HPO lines (1 time), CPS (x3), ICP (x2), leaking injector o-rings and running out of oil (x1), alternator (x3), starter (x1). Probably more but that's what I can remember. So if my math is right that's 11 times stranded.
Your math and mine are different. My 7.3 acted up and caused an issue that made me stop on the side of the road twice. Both times I could limp to my destination. One was a chaffed wire that resulted in a short to ground that reset the PCM, the other was a blown power steering hose. The 6.7 has freaked out once and caused me to shut it off, wait a bit, then start it back up and try again, but it got me home after that.

But comparing with my buddies stock 7.3L... not even close. The 6.7L runs away with heavier loads like nothing is back there.
How is this disagreeing with anything I said?

I never noticed much of a difference in brakes.
Maybe I need to upgrade my pads then. I had the fancy rotors and pads on the 7.3. Pedal on the 6.7 feels softer and the truck feels like it's not slowing down as fast, but as mentioned, stopping distance doesn't seem drastically different. Perhaps it's just the creature comforts making it feel like a less dramatic stop?

I have no plans to ever put a tuner on my 6.7L. It will remain stock. Went down that rabbit hole once.
Sometimes a little is good, but a lot doesn't mean better. Perhaps it's an issue with where to draw the line?

I do like the creature comforts and the quietness of the 6.7L. That's why I'll never go back.
Again, you're not arguing with me here. I asked for differences.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Again, you're not arguing with me here. I asked for differences.
I gave differences. Not everything I posted was completely different, but some of it was. IE we differ on fuel economy, we differ on what we think is room behind the back seat, differ on how long the stock transmission lasted, differ on how many times our trucks have left us stranded.

It's not arguing, simply put we've had different ownership experiences. And guess what? It happens on any vehicle with any two owners. There's no right or wrong answer, it's showing the OP that people have different experiences with their trucks. There's no such thing as a guarantee that someone will enjoy the same truck as much as the next person. There's plenty of those who have gone from the 7.3L to the 6.7L, some still prefer the 7.3, others prefer the 6.7. And quite frankly, I think it's good to show the OP different opinions so he can make up his mind.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:15 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UP_There
If you make the plunge I would recommend looking into the FORD extended warranty. Think of it as an insurance policy. Repairs can be expensive. My 2 cents

Old 10-14-2017, 11:28 AM
dieseldrive
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I did pull the trigger

Sold the 16 Platinum Yesterday. A little bit of having second thoughts but too late now.

As I stated in my earlier post, the 16 is a great truck (as it should be for $70K), but I opted to keep running the 7.3 for a few more years. Everyone is different, but the financial side had something to do with it. I was offered an early retirement option a few months ago and took it (very fortunate to be able to retire at 55), and while I could have kept the 16, it made more sense financially to keep running the 7.3 (it is a mint condition truck that I ordered brand new and have maintained myself).

There is no sane argument in the performance category - the 6.7 wins by a huge margin in every possible way. So why would you consider selling it in favor of keeping a 15 year old 7.3, you might ask?? I don't expect any non-mechanics to understand this fully. I am not talking about shade-tree "do it your selfers" here, but "real" mechanics that are capable of repairing anything that could go wrong with an older (7.3) generation vehicle.

If you are willing (or required) to have someone else repair your vehicle (and they require repairs at some point), the 7.3 powered trucks offer a huge appeal, mostly because of their million mile reputation, but also because they are much "easier" and less expensive to run for a long time (no one disputes the 7.3's reputation for reliability). I, and every other "real mechanic", takes a lot of pride of not only being capable of keeping a vehicle operating at peak for 20 years, but actually doing it. This is where the 7.3 shines brightly due to its relative simplistic design combined with good build quality (by the folks in Indianapolis). Mechanics like me like simplicity in our vehicles, and while no one here is arguing here that it isn't a runner, no one here is, or can, say that is is easy to work on. Combine that with the many emissions related sensors that can (and do) cause problems in ALL new vehicles, you start to get the picture.

As mentioned in this thread, the 4R100 was not as reliable as the 7.3 engine, but it can be made to be. In fact, many sled-pullers and drag racers prefer the 4R100 (even in a Dodge) because of its ability to shift very quickly.

My plan for my pristine 7.3 (now that the 6.7 is gone) is to rebuild the 4R100 with quality parts and upgrades. At over 15 years old with only a torque converter failure (I installed a shift kit and Precision converter when the truck was new, and the precision converter is the one that failed after 11 years) it deserves that. I have already performed all of the other age related maintenance (high pressure oil o-rings, plugs, and hoses, belts, idlers, coolant hoses) and have zero concerns that an engine related issue with this truck.

I may regret what I have done by selling the 6.7 - only time will tell. But in the meantime I will driving a truck that I am proud to own because of the reliable service it has provided me with for half of my adult life, and that's pretty impressive!

Old 10-18-2017, 09:44 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
I'm having a few people inquiring about my 7.3 for sale, but nothing concrete yet. I'm driving myself crazy test driving a few 6.7's in the meantime! I have my eyes on a 2013 King Ranch locally.....but I need to sell my truck first. The wife will kill me with 2 trucks sitting in the driveway

Old 10-18-2017, 09:33 PM
wellsy124
New User
Just made the jump myself and absolutely love it. you will not regret it.
good Luck

Quick Reply: 7.3 owner on the fence of a 6.7 ~ Pro's-Cons?