Sponsored by: Moser

Stuck in the middle with you...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:10 AM
applebaggins
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
I agree with your idea of the front is #1 (or position #1) and so on.

1973-1979 Ford Bronco and F Series Truck Radiator Core Support Upper Sleeve-Broncograveyard.com
Thanks! I'll order the sleeves when I finish pulling the cab and know how many I need to buy.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 AM
applebaggins
Tuned
I think I'm mostly squared away, but I'm still a little confused. I bought a set of 12 Prothane bushings and I can get lower body mount sleeves from JBG, but I don't see where to get upper body mount sleeves.

1) Do I still need upper body mount sleeves?
2) If so, where can I find them?
3) Can I just use a big washer and a bolt that threads into the lower sleeve?

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2017, 10:42 AM
applebaggins
Tuned
Update: The instructions for these Prothane bushings mention using the factory sleeves, but I took a look at the LMC kit and it seems like they're just using a washer on top of the upper mount.

The kit from Macs Auto also looks like they use washers for upper and lower with a steel bushing connecting the two.

The inside diameter of all the Prothane bushings is 1-1/8 inches.

The outside diameter of the Prothane cab upper bushings is 3 inches.

The outside diameter of the Prothane core upper bushings is 2-3/8 inches.

So, I'm assuming I need four washers with an outside diameter of about 3 inches, two washers with an outside diameter of about 2-1/2 inches and all the washers need to have an inside diameter of at least 1/2 an inch in order for the bolt to fit through.

However, that leaves a lot of wiggle room for the bolt inside the Prothane bushings. Can someone help me understand how this would best work given my materials?

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2017, 12:46 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 745 Likes on 598 Posts
I've been watching quietly because I just don't know. But I do know that, like you apparently, I would not feel all that warm-n-fuzzy about using them without sleeves.
At least you have sleeves in half of the bushings (lower), but I'd feel better if that half of the bushing was the top half instead.

You said "upper" for both types in your last post, but I assume that the smaller one at 2 3/8" was the lowers? What's the inside diameter? Different from the uppers also?

Paul

Old 10-16-2017, 02:03 PM
applebaggins
Tuned
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp
I've been watching quietly because I just don't know. But I do know that, like you apparently, I would not feel all that warm-n-fuzzy about using them without sleeves.
At least you have sleeves in half of the bushings (lower), but I'd feel better if that half of the bushing was the top half instead.

You said "upper" for both types in your last post, but I assume that the smaller one at 2 3/8" was the lowers? What's the inside diameter? Different from the uppers also?

Paul
I'll keep fishing until someone posts up.

The 2 3/8" was the upper bushing for the core/radiator support. It's a little smaller than the cab mount bushings, but they all have the same inside diameter.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:54 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
Don't McParts stores sell the sleeve-washers or whatever they're called?
I'd think that this particular part would be a common application used by all truck producers.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:19 PM
applebaggins
Tuned
Originally Posted by meangreen92
Don't McParts stores sell the sleeve-washers or whatever they're called?
I'd think that this particular part would be a common application used by all truck producers.
I can find the lower sleeves, but not the upper sleeves.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:25 PM
72rtchallenger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by applebaggins
I dont think you can find upper sleeve but since I saved mine to weld back together the measurements are around two inches in length , and as you see different lengths an diameters top to bottom , the upper side is 1 1/8" maybe little more but not much more in length , the lower is around 13/16" in length , the upper diameter outside is 1" the inside diameter 3/4" ,,the lower diameter is close to 7/8" outside diameter but hard to judge inside diameter but if you have lower sleeve it should be made to fit that size,, about as close as I could tell you anyways,, I would get a thick sleeve about 2" in length and weld a washer on top and make it fit snug as thats probably as close as your going to get unless you can find some reproduced but I haven't found any so far,,hope this helps some anyways also that is the front cab mount,,now I checked the rear and there closer to 2 1/4" in length

Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM
applebaggins
Tuned
Originally Posted by 72rtchallenger
I haven't found any so far,,hope this helps some anyways also that is the front cab mount,,now I checked the rear and there closer to 2 1/4" in length
That's crappy news, but it does help a lot! I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on a kit from somewhere. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Fert
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by applebaggins

I replaced the bushings years ago on a truck. the poly bushings came with sleeves then, but it appears now they don't. go find a good, very good hardware store. a large ACE store, or some old feed stores have bushings for tractors that will work.

Fert

Old 10-16-2017, 09:19 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Fert
I replaced the bushings years ago on a truck. the poly bushings came with sleeves then, but it appears now they don't. go find a good, very good hardware store. a large ACE store, or some old feed stores have bushings for tractors that will work.

Fert
That's what I'm talking about. I figgered there had to be some easily obtained generic equivalent.

As long as you don't let a bunch of MCA judges, or their F-Series counterparts if there are any, go crawling all over your rig, you should be fine...

Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 PM
applebaggins
Tuned
If I had the time to go searching for a good replacement - or to even salvage a few sleeves from the junkyard - I'd be all about it, but I have about two weeks to button this truck back up.

I just pulled the trigger on a kit from JBG. I'll keep the Prothane bushings and see if I can swap them out down the road. Thanks for the assistance!

Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 PM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I broke down and had to cut mine out with a sawzall. I also really wanted poly bushings. I ended up fabricating some sleeves. They go the whole way down from the top and will be capped off with an appropriate washer and a stover lock nut.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:56 AM
applebaggins
Tuned
I can't believe no one fabricates the upper sleeves. If anyone ever puts these up for sale, please let me know. I'd buy a set.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:21 AM
Fert
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meangreen92
As long as you don't let a bunch of MCA judges, or their F-Series counterparts if there are any, go crawling all over your rig, you should be fine...

if someone is going to be that picky on your truck... tell them to go take a flying leap.... or what they can do to them selves.... its your truck..

Fert

Quick Reply: Stuck in the middle with you...