Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Gooseneck!!!!!! not for everyone.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 594 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon606
To each his own, I can use the lift for 100 different things. I mostly eat humble pie with a side of crow. I installed it this evening and it took all of 5 minutes and I never broke a sweat or hurt my back, thats easy in my book. Like I said, im not a B&W rep here, just stating what I know. Just for my curiosity, has anybody asked the manufacturer of their RV if they will honor the frame warranty with the Andersen? With it being a non conventional set up ( not a true fifth wheel) would your warranty be void? I considered converting my GD 337 to gooseneck to make it simple,I called GD and they said if I did and had frame issues they would not cover it. Only one they approved was the Reese Goose Box which is $$$$.
I have a GD 337, F350 w/AUH. The only potential warranty issue is that Lippert does not approve any adapters to their pin box other than the Reese Goose Box. The slight potential issue using a AUH coupler could be the Where the Allen screws set on the bottom of the pin box face plate could cause deformation. If that’s a concern then using 1/4” spacers to spread out the force would fix that. Andersen told me that it wasn’t necessary. Besides they would cover any damage that wasn’t covered by Lippert with their 5 million dollar policy.

I love the Andersen. I get plenty of turn angle, even with the coupler in the reverse position.

For my 70 year old body and bad back it’s a perfect solution.

Name:  MOvPfZXl.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  u7PgpVvl.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  yyzle5Bl.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  44.9 KB

Old 10-20-2017, 05:40 PM
jims94vmx
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice, i pretty much stayed out of it....get so tired of someone always questioning every descision folks make...so yes the thread did get taken over, but Flyct you brought it back! LOL

Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon606
Just for my curiosity, has anybody asked the manufacturer of their RV if they will honor the frame warranty with the Andersen? With it being a non conventional set up ( not a true fifth wheel) would your warranty be void?

I considered converting my GD 337 to gooseneck to make it simple,I called GD and they said if I did and had frame issues they would not cover it. Only one they approved was the Reese Goose Box which is $$$$.

After I read this, I asked Keystone Customer Service if they approve the AUH to tow their trailers. I sent them a picture of the hitch. Here was there response...

Regarding your question about the Anderson hitch, we would only approve a Reese goose box. The one you sent to us would change the point of flex on the frame and could cause issues down the road that would not be warrantable. If you have additional questions, call owner Relations at the number listed below. Have a nice evening!

Thank you,

Jeannene Jenks
Retail Advisor
Keystone, Dutchmen and Crossroads RV
Ph: 1-866-425-4369
Fax: 1-866-273-1455

Old 10-25-2017, 03:50 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,122 Likes on 1,019 Posts
As I have stated in a few other posts is I HAVE asked NORTHWOOD (manufactures the Arctic Fox brand RV and others) if they would warranty their frame if I used it They answered in the affirmative. I bought the steel rail version as that was the only one they made at the time. I love my AUH.

BTW, Northwoods make their own aluminum superstructure and frames They do not buy their frames from any other manufacturer...(LIPPERT).

Old 11-04-2017, 03:27 PM
JakeHan
Elder User
I'm VERY surprised that they'd warranty a GooseBox - years ago, gooseneck adapters were looked down on for the exact reason that was stated about the Anderson - changing the moment forces. You'd think the GooseBox would be way way worse than the Anderson.

Not badmouthing GooseBoxes, either - Personally, I can't see a reason why I'd ever consider something other than a regular gooseneck - But, I don't drive shortbeds so don't need the adjustability, and have several other trailers that aren't campers (therefore have "normal" gooseneck hitches). Again, to each their own. My used Cedar Creek had a Convert-A-Ball branded gooseneck adapter when I picked it up, and it's been perfectly fine.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeHan
I'm VERY surprised that they'd warranty a GooseBox - years ago, gooseneck adapters were looked down on for the exact reason that was stated about the Anderson - changing the moment forces. You'd think the GooseBox would be way way worse than the Anderson.

Not badmouthing GooseBoxes, either - Personally, I can't see a reason why I'd ever consider something other than a regular gooseneck - But, I don't drive shortbeds so don't need the adjustability, and have several other trailers that aren't campers (therefore have "normal" gooseneck hitches). Again, to each their own. My used Cedar Creek had a Convert-A-Ball branded gooseneck adapter when I picked it up, and it's been perfectly fine.
My guess is reese paid a bunch of money to get the goosebox tested and it proved out to be ok.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:41 PM
JakeHan
Elder User
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
My guess is reese paid a bunch of money to get the goosebox tested and it proved out to be ok.
Aaaaaaaand I think we've found a winner!!

Old 11-07-2017, 03:24 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeHan
Aaaaaaaand I think we've found a winner!!
Maybe not.

I forget exactly how it goes, but there is a corporate connection between them. It goes SOMETHING like Lippert owns Reese, or the same parent company owns both, or... It is not an arms length relationship.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:06 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,854 Likes on 2,785 Posts
HORIZON GLOBAL owns Cequent Group which in turn owns Reese (and other brands) but not Lippert. Lippert is owned by LCI (formerly Drew Industries). LCI in turns owns a tremendous number of subsidiary companies.

This is the smoking gun you're looking for. Lippert is exclusive supplier of the Reese goose box: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...127893378.html

Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like HRTKD solved the mystery!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:10 AM
jims94vmx
Tuned
Picked up 337 yesterday. Anderson in the lowest ball setting and I had 6". Truck very close to level. Trailer about half in nose high. Towed on back roads for 50 miles. Ended up most of the trip back close to 11 mpg while doing 50 to 55. Tow/haul mode used, locked out 6th gear. A lot of 2 and 3% grades with some 4's as well. Ended up at 10.5 mpg.

Hitch was quiet, trailer responded well. Tracked better then I thought. Only issue was retorqueing the hitch after 5th wheel was attached. Not enough room to fit socket. Lifted it a little bit and retorqueing that way.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:47 AM
jims94vmx
Tuned
Here are a couple pics leaving dealer.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,854 Likes on 2,785 Posts
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
Here are a couple pics leaving dealer.
No pictures.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:56 AM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
...Tow/haul mode used, locked out 6th gear. A lot of 2 and 3% grades with some 4's as well....
Do you always lock out 6th gear while towing?

Quick Reply: Joined the Andersen Ultimate club