2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Lowering rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Moto926
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Norris McCarty
Will do! I think more people have the problem and don't notice it. It'll be next week when I report back.
Lowered rear of 2018 F50 6.7L crewcab FX4 using PMF 1.5" tapered blocks. Seems like there is a slight vibration (so slight it could be my imagination). I'm not sure if it's more feedback coming from the rear suspension, or a driveline vibration, but there seems to be a jitter, buzz, or something that wasn't there before. I remembered it being butter smooth on smooth surfaces, and that's not really the case now.

Just looking for feedback from others that have done this. Like I said, could've been like that before because it's really slight......

Thanks Guys for all the great info.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:28 AM
BillRes2
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How Low is "Too Low"?

Hi Rich
Originally Posted by Rich baker
Took out the 3 inch blocks I thought it would be level but it’s too low. Just ordered 1.5’s. Let me know if anyone wants the 3 inch blocks. I’m in Vacaville Ca
How do you define "too low". Were also in Vacaville, currently, but have no need of 3 inch blocks. Did you do the work yourself or have it done. If so where, and what did it cost.
Regards
Bill

Old 08-25-2018, 07:08 PM
Toohigh
5th Wheeling
Hope it turns out well

Originally Posted by Moto926
Lowered rear of 2018 F50 6.7L crewcab FX4 using PMF 1.5" tapered blocks. Seems like there is a slight vibration (so slight it could be my imagination). I'm not sure if it's more feedback coming from the rear suspension, or a driveline vibration, but there seems to be a jitter, buzz, or something that wasn't there before. I remembered it being butter smooth on smooth surfaces, and that's not really the case now.

Just looking for feedback from others that have done this. Like I said, could've been like that before because it's really slight......

Thanks Guys for all the great info.
Thanks for sharing. I have a similar truck (2017) and have the PMF 1.5 (2.5 degree) blocks arriving Tuesday.

How much lower is your tailgate? Did you figure out the new sounds?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2018, 06:23 AM
Moto926
New User
Originally Posted by Toohigh

Thanks for sharing. I have a similar truck (2017) and have the PMF 1.5 (2.5 degree) blocks arriving Tuesday.

How much lower is your tailgate? Did you figure out the new sounds?

Thanks
Tailgate is about 2 inches lower and I can reach into the bed of the truck now. No new sounds after the blocks, but there is a slight vibration. Every truck has different tolerances, but I've decided to put the factory blocks back in. This particular truck has a small driveline vibe with the lower blocks. Really liked the bed height with the 1.5" blocks, but.......

Old 08-26-2018, 09:07 AM
Toohigh
5th Wheeling
Tailgate is about 2 inches lower and I can reach into the bed of the truck now. No new sounds after the blocks, but there is a slight vibration. Every truck has different tolerances, but I've decided to put the factory blocks back in. This particular truck has a small driveline vibe with the lower blocks. Really liked the bed height with the 1.5" blocks, but.......
‘Thanks.

This is is very helpful. I may not do the install. It would be great to know if the vibration goes away when the factory blocks are re-installed.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Moto926
New User

‘Thanks.

This is is very helpful. I may not do the install. It would be great to know if the vibration goes away when the factory blocks are re-installed.
I'll report back after putting the factory blocks, but it might be a few weeks. The vibe started right after the 1.5 blocks were added, so that's the only change. Truck has 4,000 miles.
Called PMF to ask if anyone else had issues, and they said no. This may be an isolated case.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Toohigh
5th Wheeling
I'll report back after putting the factory blocks, but it might be a few weeks. The vibe started right after the 1.5 blocks were added, so that's the only change. Truck has 4,000 miles.
Called PMF to ask if anyone else had issues, and they said no. This may be an isolated case.

Thank you.

I think i will wait for my install based on your experience. Really appreciate you sharing your experience.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:42 PM
pgordon888
Junior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a great thread and it's awesome to see such a strong community of owners. It's a bummer Ford doesn't offer a factory option for slightly lower cab height for garage door clearance etc.

I am coming from a '16 F150 FX4 that sat 77.2 inches at the highest cab point. My new '19 F350 SRW is 83 inches and change high at the highest point of the cab. I have a parking garage door that allows just shy of 80 inches clearance so I knew at purchase I needed a lowering solution.

After much research I came to the conclusion that the only way to clear my door without sacrificing any towing utility would be 4 corner airride.

Dropped my truck off at Kelderman for their full air system install last week. It's a slightly lower install of their "stock ride height" kit, which is going to put me at 78 inches fully deflated and 86 inches high fully inflated. Most comfortable ride will be mid bag inflate at 82 inches so about 2 inches lower than stock. To help function and aesthetics with the lower height I also moved to 20 inch 55/305 toyo at2s which are about an inch shorter than my stock Platinum wheel tire package (but an inch wider on new aftermarket wheels).

I pick up my truck on Sep 7 and will start a dedicated thread end of that weekend as I should have quite a bit of driving impressions given the 1000 mile drive home. They have been a real pleasure to work with thus far.

Only obvious downside here is that airride is not a low cost solution. Given the all in cost I am going to need to drive this truck into the ground before I ever consider trading. I have been modding cars and trucks for awhile and know it's challenging to get a fair return on upgrades on resale.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Moto926
New User

Thank you.

I think i will wait for my install based on your experience. Really appreciate you sharing your experience.
Update
Found some missing weights on a rear tire. Balanced and rotated tires. Test drove new F250 at the dealership. My truck is smoother than the new truck. I'm gonna keep the 1.5" blocks. There is a slightly different engine buzz feel than the new one, but it's hardly noticeable. Just gonna enjoy the truck now.

I would appreciate any feedback from others with 1.5" blocks to confirm the driveline is smooth. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:22 PM
Toohigh
5th Wheeling
Update
Found some missing weights on a rear tire. Balanced and rotated tires. Test drove new F250 at the dealership. My truck is smoother than the new truck. I'm gonna keep the 1.5" blocks. There is a slightly different engine buzz feel than the new one, but it's hardly noticeable. Just gonna enjoy the truck now.

I would appreciate any feedback from others with 1.5" blocks to confirm the driveline is smooth. Thanks.
Good to know. Glad it worked out.

Have you you adjusted your headlights? I have noticed some others warning they are easy to break. When I gently tried mine, they sure felt like they would snap.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Moto926
New User

Good to know. Glad it worked out.

Have you you adjusted your headlights? I have noticed some others warning they are easy to break. When I gently tried mine, they sure felt like they would snap.

Yes, I adjusted the headlights. Didn't feel like it was about to break, but as you can probably tell, the screw turns a flexible tube that travels to the actual adjuster and makes it feel different.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:01 PM
CaptJaC
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Update

Ironically, I was in the Tire/Alignment shop Friday to check a shaking I noticed a couple of month after replacing OEM shorter OEM blocks and much to my happiness I had thrown a weight, 3oz worth. After a complete re-balancing all is well again.
I have a fifth wheel that I have that I have put about 600 miles on since lowering the back end with out feeling any issues. I guess I thought the out of balance condition felt normal until I read this tread and issues other were experiencing.
Camping this weekend so It should tow even better now.

JaC

Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pgordon888

I am coming from a '16 F150 FX4 that sat 77.2 inches at the highest cab point.

After much research I came to the conclusion that the only way to clear my door without sacrificing any towing utility would be 4 corner airride.

Dropped my truck off at Kelderman for their full air system install last week.

Only obvious downside here is that airride is not a low cost solution. Given the all in cost I am going to need to drive this truck into the ground before I ever consider trading. I have been modding cars and trucks for awhile and know it's challenging to get a fair return on upgrades on resale.
I'm very interested in your install and impressions. I can only assume the cost of this was around $5k.....

Old 08-27-2018, 03:52 PM
Toohigh
5th Wheeling
Yes, I adjusted the headlights. Didn't feel like it was about to break, but as you can probably tell, the screw turns a flexible tube that travels to the actual adjuster and makes it feel different.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe they improved them from 2017 to 2018. I will (gently) try again.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:31 PM
pgordon888
Junior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I'm very interested in your install and impressions. I can only assume the cost of this was around $5k.....
You can see the direct to consumer prices of the parts for their kits on the Kelderman website but it is about $9000 to $12000 for an all in factory install depending on how you spec the options for the kits. So not cheap but I was going to add a compressor, tow bags, and tanks like my old f150 set up even if I didn't have this kit so I guess there is some cost offset there.

Quick Reply: Lowering rear end