1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Central PA Truckstock 2018, plan now!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:53 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
4 hour or so ride, I may actually make this one! Would be just me, no way would my wife ride in the F1 for 4 hours and she is not the camping type LOL. Will be a last minute decision with my schedule.
I just want to park my rusty truck next to Bobs!

Old 09-20-2017, 03:06 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
I double clutched my way around Chicago on Hwy 47, 9, and 1. There were "hundreds" of traffic lights. The traffic was always moving, however, but never very fast. That was good, because I had just spent about 2 hours on Interstate 94 in Wisconsin. I was more than ready for a little slower pace. Altogether, I put on about 1400 double clutching miles to go to and from Truckstock 2017. Morning fog, and a lack of headlights for running at night, limited my range to about 300 miles per day. As others have mentioned, it was an adventure I'll never forget.

Jim

Old 09-20-2017, 03:15 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Hey Bob. My truck is faster than your truck, and I got stopped in Indiana for driving too slow. Out on I 196 in Michigan, there was a posted 55 MPH minimum. I almost had to go out there to get around Grand Rapids. It was very stressful!

Jim

Old 09-20-2017, 04:13 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
4 hour or so ride, I may actually make this one. Would be just me, no way would my wife ride in the F1 for 4 hours and she is not the camping type LOL. Will be a last minute decision with my schedule.
I just want to park my rusty truck next to Bobs 😆
Oh no you don't!!! I have enough unwanted rust on it as it is Honestly you know my feeling on rat rods but I've seen pictures of you project, they aren't like the vehicles I'm against. If we do meet up I definitely want to see pictures of your '37 Buick.

Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
Hey Bob. My truck is faster than your truck, and I got stopped in Indiana for driving too slow. Out on I 196 in Michigan, there was a posted 55 MPH minimum. I almost had to go out there to get around Grand Rapids. It was very stressful!

Jim
Jim we ended up going through the south side of Chicago after dusk. We tried to go to the west of the city but got detoured to the east. I was ready to blow any red light I came if I to. I figured most of the denizens of the area could easily run along side the F-2. I was glad when we got to an area of farm fields, then we had to worry about the Mormon gangs

We drove at top speed, according to GPS an average of 45-50 mph all the way, stayed off any interstates unless we had to take on so we wouldn't go way out of our way. The four lane highways weren't that bad but once we go down to KY every major highway was only two lane so the few times we hopped on we backed traffic up. One time we were going down a big mountain highway and I pulled over a couple times when I got 5-6 vehicles behind us. Towards the bottom of the mountain we saw all the cars we allowed to pass us backed up. As we got closer to the group we saw a Model A in front of them all Man I bet those people were PO'd

Old 09-20-2017, 04:36 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Pulling over is good manners, but as you know visibility in a panel is horrible. Returning to the traffic lane was always stressful, not knowing for sure if there might be an unseen car about to cream you. Then looking for a place to pull over causes you to drive even slower which leads to even more cars getting backed up behind you. It was all fun. Can't wait to do it again.

Driving through Chicago at dusk--now that's stressful. My wife would have had a nervous breakdown. Driving on I 196 would have put her over the edge too.

Jim

Old 09-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Abe, I'm really encouraged to see the response you've already gotten.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:08 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Abe, I'd really like to see us try and get a group picture with our trucks all parked up on Hyner Vista! We might need to bring some water for coolant to get up there but what a picture that would be!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:31 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts
If you come, I'll bring the teaberry ice cream.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:41 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Abe, I'm really encouraged to see the response you've already gotten.
So am I, Shane. But as Gary and you know, early verbal commitments don't always equal actual attendance. But it looks good now for sure!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by bhalemail
Abe, I'd really like to see us try and get a group picture with our trucks all parked up on Hyner Vista! We might need to bring some water for coolant to get up there but what a picture that would be!
I thought of that. I told the guys at TS 2017 about Hyner View. Some said they might prefer to stay low key and hang out and talk trucks. There was some interest with the guys about going to the Piper Museum and getting pics with a Piper Cub.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
So am I, Shane. But as Gary and you know, early verbal commitments don't always equal actual attendance. But it looks good now for sure!
Go back and find a thread from 2012 that I created and named it something like "If I do this, will you come.....". I think I had something like 50 members indicate they would come within just a couple days. Obviously, that number tapered down drastically, but it was quite the response early on.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM
89gtstang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abe this sounds great! Glad there is finally something close by. The 55 is SOOOO close to being done it's frustrating. I'm having break issues (all new stuff but sitting for years during the rebuild) and transmission issues (used C6) I have to work out yet, but I'd hope I'd get them all worked out by next year... Had wished to have it on the road this year but some times that's how things go. I have all winter to iron things out.
Like it was said, lots of those places I have not been to even though I live in western PA. Been through Lancaster lots of time, living in near Philly for 9 years. Did the Penn's Cave with the Family not too long ago, great thing to do. But that's it. The wife and I will have to take the week off to add some of those things in for the week
Can't wait!

Gary

Old 09-21-2017, 03:38 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
[QUOTE=bobj49f2;17475923]Oh no you don't!!! I have enough unwanted rust on it as it is Honestly you know my feeling on rat rods but I've seen pictures of you project, they aren't like the vehicles I'm against. If we do meet up I definitely want to see pictures of your '37 Buick. /QUOTE]

Hey Bob, I haven't printed out a picture of anything in years, but if you look at my albums here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/391908184486266/

I have all pictures of all builds from 2011 to now. The Buick was the first one I started a picture album of. If you cannot see them just ask to join and I will add you in.
I have learned a lot since then and there are things I would do differently, in fact plans are for that car to come apart again and go back onto a modified 1937 Buick frame and get a new fuel injected drivetrain.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Dave, I'll have to check it out.

Abe, when Shane first announced his first meet I was one of the first to sign on and I made it a point I was coming even if I had to walk, driving the F-2 was pretty close. I knew what Shane was facing with all of the early commitments, I've held a few events with the same responses. It all worked out and I think we all learned a lot on what to do and not to do. I'm sure you're tapping the past members for their suggestions, if not we're all more than happy to help in any way possible.

The main thing to remember is the FTE family is a great bunch of guys and gals and no matter what it's going to be a great event, sometimes a lot of work, but a great time. Maybe by theme your meet comes up Sponge Bob will be found

Old 09-21-2017, 07:56 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Dave, I'll have to check it out.

Abe, when Shane first announced his first meet I was one of the first to sign on and I made it a point I was coming even if I had to walk, driving the F-2 was pretty close. I knew what Shane was facing with all of the early commitments, I've held a few events with the same responses. It all worked out and I think we all learned a lot on what to do and not to do. I'm sure you're tapping the past members for their suggestions, if not we're all more than happy to help in any way possible.

The main thing to remember is the FTE family is a great bunch of guys and gals and no matter what it's going to be a great event, sometimes a lot of work, but a great time. Maybe by theme your meet comes up Sponge Bob will be found
Bob, when I first thought of hosting TS months ago I had lots of ideas popping up in my head about places to go and things to do. Things like driving to a covered bridge for a photo shoot, driving to Hyner View which is 1940 feet above sea level and 1300 feet above the river below, or going to the Piper Aircraft museum in Lock Haven. The veteran TS guys last week said they would prefer to use the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) and most would prefer to sit around, hang out and talk trucks. There was some interest in going to the Piper museum and getting a photo shoot with a yellow Piper Cub, however.

So I think we could do a happy medium.

Quick Reply: Central PA Truckstock 2018, plan now!