6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How heavy are you towing with your 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 PM
TxMav
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Tow

Originally Posted by storage_man
I had a 2006 F250 w/6.0. It pulled most everything I put behind it. Never had an issue with the truck other than Fuel Milage. The largest bumper pull I attempted was a 2005 34' Warrior Toy Hauler. Its dry weight was 8700lb. Fully loaded it hit the scales at 11,800lb.

I do believe it depends on the drivers comfort level. That trailer made the truck work. It did it, but I really didn't want do it all of the time.
thanks storage man.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alot of us tow with these for a living wayyyyy more weight than your thinking of pulling,i want get into numbers but youll be fine as far as power,ride,comfort goes. Use that tow button and save on brakes,make sure you have gauges to catch anything early, dont skimp on batts, that trailer has lights too,use only motorcraft sensors if any go bad,upgrade that trans pan and filter,enjoy the sites.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 PM
TxMav
Tuned
Towing

Originally Posted by wedge542
Alot of us tow with these for a living wayyyyy more weight than your thinking of pulling,i want get into numbers but youll be fine as far as power,ride,comfort goes. Use that tow button and save on brakes,make sure you have gauges to catch anything early, dont skimp on batts, that trailer has lights too,use only motorcraft sensors if any go bad,upgrade that trans pan and filter,enjoy the sites.
thanks wedge. Pretty much doing all that you suggest with gauges and batts. Going to upgrade a few things and I always use motor craft/oem other than my rotella elc coolant. Good to hear that many are towing over 10k without issues.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:54 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TxMav
Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess I'm just worried about too much of a load and blowing gaskets or stretching my stock tty bolts.
I had seen Senix's posts and rig. I was impressed. But that's a 6.4. They have a few extra bolts clamping down.
I wont be towing all over the country. At least that's not the plan at the moment. Maybe after the rebuild. Pretty flat towing in south Texas. Just want to be sure I can tow with confidence if I have too. Like if a another storm approached. I don't want to have to rely on a tow service.
Ton's of trucks running around working hard, running TTY's and not deleted.
All four I mentioned earlier are all TTY's and not deleted, 15W40 JD oil(good oil BTW) year round because it's the same stuff they run in all the green equipment.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 PM
TxMav
Tuned
Tty

Originally Posted by navistarnut
Ton's of trucks running around working hard, running TTY's and not deleted.
All four I mentioned earlier are all TTY's and not deleted, 15W40 JD oil(good oil BTW) year round because it's the same stuff they run in all the green equipment.
that's what I want to hear!

Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Heaviest ive pulled so far with mine was a toss up between moving a loaded down trailer full of my brothers home furnishings (ntm the bed had a few in it too) and pulling a disabled truck home on one of their larger Uhaul vehicle trailers.. truck didnt seem to care any of it was back there.. even when we were driving head on into 30-40 mph gusting head winds.. id guess for mine probably in the range of 7-8K is the heaviest ive been so far..

but i do know a guy on another board who routinely pulls long gooseneck equipment trailers for his farm.. hes stated on more than one occasion when hes got the soaked bails on the trailer that it can get up to weighing in around 30K lbs.. said the truck still pulled it fine but you knew the weight was back there.. last i heard from him he had over 250K on the OD and just had the standard minor repairs that come with age..

Old 09-16-2017, 06:43 AM
TxMav
Tuned

Originally Posted by Sparky83
Heaviest ive pulled so far with mine was a toss up between moving a loaded down trailer full of my brothers home furnishings (ntm the bed had a few in it too) and pulling a disabled truck home on one of their larger Uhaul vehicle trailers.. truck didnt seem to care any of it was back there.. even when we were driving head on into 30-40 mph gusting head winds.. id guess for mine probably in the range of 7-8K is the heaviest ive been so far..

but i do know a guy on another board who routinely pulls long gooseneck equipment trailers for his farm.. hes stated on more than one occasion when hes got the soaked bails on the trailer that it can get up to weighing in around 30K lbs.. said the truck still pulled it fine but you knew the weight was back there.. last i heard from him he had over 250K on the OD and just had the standard minor repairs that come with age..
Wow. I should be fine then. Feeling better about this.
Thanks.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:34 AM
036.0stroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks.
The engine/trans will not be what is limiting what you can haul. It will be the 250 suspension brakes and axle ratio mostly. I haul 30k+ behind me on occasion and while probably frowned upon by the DOT it pulls and stops it great

Old 09-16-2017, 08:37 AM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks.
You'll be fine, just stay under the 12,500 bumper pull rating and use a weight distributing hitch

Old 09-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Erik727
Senior User
TxMav,,,i also tow with a stock 06... I tow a 30 ft 09 Octane ZX Toyhauler ,bumper pull,,usually loaded down with motocross bikes and equip.. 8000 lb dry ,,usually around 11K loaded.. Truck will not have a problem towing or stopping...If going bumperpull,,i would make sure you get a quality weight distributing/Anti-sway hitch...I have a Blue OX..
Also whether 5th wheel or bumperpull,,i also recommend putting on a set of firestone airbags.Makes a big difference in keeping truck level and towing comfortably. You can buy the kit for around $250-300, and install in a couple hours.. So sorry Harvey got to ya. ..Good luck to ya !!

Old 09-16-2017, 01:01 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess I'm just worried about too much of a load and blowing gaskets or stretching my stock tty bolts.
I had seen Senix's posts and rig. I was impressed. But that's a 6.4. They have a few extra bolts clamping down.
I wont be towing all over the country. At least that's not the plan at the moment. Maybe after the rebuild. Pretty flat towing in south Texas. Just want to be sure I can tow with confidence if I have too. Like if a another storm approached. I don't want to have to rely on a tow service.
First I'd like to say sorry that Harvey got to you. I do like your plan of having a trailer as a back up. That way you don't need to depend on someone else.

For the record the 6.4L has the same number of head bolts as the 6.0L. They are similar engines. The 7.3L and the 6.7L do have more head bolts.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:40 PM
95 taco
Freshman User
2005 F250, EGR delete, 4" turbo back, stock head bolts.
Towed a 5th wheel (10,500 empty, ~14K loaded) from San Diego to Dumont dunes several times and then from San Diego to South Ms.
Towed a Cat D3 (14K) on a 25ft gooseneck trailer(~6K) total of ~20K locally in south Ms for several thousand miles.
The heavy towing took a toll on the truck, just did studs and a few other things last November (I think) but after almost 1K miles I lost HPO so I replaced the truck with a Ram 3500, just started working on getting the ford back on the road the past few days.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:11 AM
TxMav
Tuned
Sorry for being absent today. Spent the day clearing debris. Had some awesome volunteers help. Left at 6:30 this morning. Got back at 11 tonight. I appreciate all the advice, experience and sentiments.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
The max I've pulled with mine is right at the bumper rating and slightly over. Truck always pulls like a dream and stops like it should. Just take care of it and it will take care of you.

Name:  photo109.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  602.8 KB

Name:  photo717.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  820.7 KB

Originally Posted by tfunk88
You'll be fine, just stay under the 12,500 bumper pull rating and use a weight distributing hitch
Weight distributing hitch and good TBC if your truck didn't come with Tow Command. You could alway buy the Ford TBC and put it in along with the harness, but I and many on here love the Prodigy P3. It allows more customized trailer brake control and goes a little further than the Ford one does. However, if you have the Integrated Ford one already, you're still in good shape as it's in tune with the trucks bakes, engine, and trans, where the P3 is not.

Originally Posted by Erik727
TxMav,,,i also tow with a stock 06... I tow a 30 ft 09 Octane ZX Toyhauler ,bumper pull,,usually loaded down with motocross bikes and equip.. 8000 lb dry ,,usually around 11K loaded.. Truck will not have a problem towing or stopping...If going bumperpull,,i would make sure you get a quality weight distributing/Anti-sway hitch...I have a Blue OX..
Also whether 5th wheel or bumperpull,,i also recommend putting on a set of firestone airbags.Makes a big difference in keeping truck level and towing comfortably. You can buy the kit for around $250-300, and install in a couple hours.. So sorry Harvey got to ya. ..Good luck to ya !!
Per Erik and many others, airbags are your best friend when it comes to towing heavy.

I'll have Magnolia Tom poke his head in and comment.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:43 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I tow a 16K 5'r with an 18ft boat behind it,no problems as long as you don't try to climb 8+% grades in the Big Horns at 65 MPH. Just let the truck slow down and downshift, I found that 2500 RPM was the sweet spot for mine, I also have 3.73 gears but am going to swap to 4.30. I just let the trans do it's own thing using tow/haul and if I stayed at that 2500 RPM the temps would stay within reason and everything was fine. I do have an EGR delete and the BPD external air to oil cooler, so that does help, but as long as your oil cooler is not plugged and the cooling fan is working you should have no problem pulling heavy.

Quick Reply: How heavy are you towing with your 6.0?