Notices

Question of the Week: How do you protect your truck's exterior?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Patrick R.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question of the Week: How do you protect your truck's exterior?

For our latest Question of the Week, we want to know what special measures you take to protect the exterior of your Ford truck or SUV.

Do you wax it regularly? Has the truck been ceramic coated? Did you apply undercoating?

Share your exterior care plan in the thread below!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 AM
camminich
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, it's wax wax and wax. A truck that is well waxed is easier to keep clean and if using a good UV blocking wax, helps to keep the finish well protected. With it, you keep road grime off, protects from surface rust, and can even help prevent some chips and scuffs. It's not going to keep a big rock from leaving it's mark, or stop a scratch from someone who is intentionally trying. But it does a great job with the usual day to day stuff that often leaves fine scratches and dings.

I use a synthetic wax and try to keep it layered up. I wax about 6x a year, I will clay but only when I feel the wax is wearing down. Most often areas like the hood and roof will need clay once per year.

Over the years I have used a wide variety of wax types; past and liquids, carnauba and synthetic. I prefer the new synthetic waxes available, they protect better from sun damage, and are much easier to apply. With maintenance, I can usually wax my truck in about 90 to 120 minutes. Time well spent in the garage. I know there are some wax types that may give a better shine, but I'm going to application ease and overall protection more than shine. Using a good synthetic you get both.

A big plus to waxing too, it encourages you do other things like keep your chrome and plastic clean (oh and yes you can wax the plastic chrome and other painted areas, I wax my wheels). I know it's not for everyone, and many just like to keep their truck "a truck." But to me, it's something I'm keeping, and want to keep looking new.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 AM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
I always park in the north forty in parking lots away from everyone. As for waxing, etc. not much. Wash it now and then, have it detailed every few years. My 2000 looked very good when I sold it after 16 years of this treatment. Granted it was not a show truck but I work my trucks.