2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New Rattle in Driver Door

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:34 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mixerman90
FWIW, this has happened in my truck and also in my son's VW. Both times it was sunglasses rattling in the sunglasses holder in the center ceiling console. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger door if you were sitting in the drivers seat and on the opposite side if you were in the passenger seat. It took an hour driving down the freeway to finally figure it out. Just something to think about...
It’s definitely an actual issue with the door, and not a random object bouncing around. Dozens of people are having this issue.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:40 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Originally Posted by delorenzomp
So, VA13FX4, they adjusted the door which I assume was not loose, was it the B-pillar latch peg as has been mentioned as others’ fix?
Service dude said the body dude made adjustments to the door. He didn’t specify and I didn’t ask since I was skeptical. I have to go in next week for a different issue so I’ll ask then.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:31 PM
Mixerman90
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VA13FX4

It’s definitely an actual issue with the door, and not a random object bouncing around. Dozens of people are having this issue.
Yeah, I get that. Just offering another thought on random rattles etc.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:32 PM
FlyinAg
Senior User
One rattle solved for me! The issue I had with the entire door vibrating and causing the weather strips to chatter is gone. The dealership was surprised how wacked out my door was. The body shop adjusted the door and striker (and maybe did something to the latch). It now has much better door panel alignment and no more chatter.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:31 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
My rattle is completely gone. The dealership adjusted the door. The top of the door is now A LOT closer the the cab. The top edge of the door was flush with the cab and now it’s about 1/4 inch inward. I initially was a bit annoyed that it wasn’t flush but then I looked at the passenger side door and it’s exactly the same. I looked at a 250 and a 150 on the lot and they looked the same where the top of the door isn’t flush with the cab.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Chris3
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a rattle/chatter in two doors, one front and one back....its coming from the top where the door meets the rubber weather stripping as stated before in a earlier post. It seem to be real bad the colder it gets here in Canada. I think I need the doors adjusted I guess.

I was thinking (for now) of waxing the area where the weather stripping touches to see of that changes anything.... or even putting some type of weather stripping product on the weather strip.

Maybe up here in Canada.... the colder it gets, the aluminium shrinks? less contact with the door frame.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chris3
I have a rattle/chatter in two doors, one front and one back....its coming from the top where the door meets the rubber weather stripping as stated before in a earlier post. It seem to be real bad the colder it gets here in Canada. I think I need the doors adjusted I guess.

I was thinking (for now) of waxing the area where the weather stripping touches to see of that changes anything.... or even putting some type of weather stripping product on the weather strip.

Maybe up here in Canada.... the colder it gets, the aluminium shrinks? less contact with the door frame.
I couldnt take it anymore, mine had the cold weather, wire on metal rattle. I took the door panel
off and there are 2 metal clips that set on an aluminum bar that supports the door handle. You can jiggle them and its the sound I was hearing. I wrapped the bar where they set with duct tape and cut out the hole for the bolt to go through. Drove it and the rattle is gone. Drive it in the morning for the final test as thats when it was the worst...fingers crossed. There is also a metal bushing made into the door panel itself that possibly can be gremlin #2 on this same 2 bolts. If its there in the morning I will try to wrap them as well, wait and see.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Rockinfigs
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VoodooRob
I have been getting the driver door rattle since November. Sometimes it is not noticeable other times its very noticeable. I was trying to pin point it and it seems like it was near the lock assembly, then other times it seemed to follow the mirror shake so i thought it was the mirror mount. Happy to say I tracked it down and fixed it due to another poster. T40 torx bit and loosen the door latch hasp, move it in a bit and re-tighten while keeping pressure on the hasp. 100% fixed the problem for me. I am going to say that the people wrapping electrical tape around the hasp are achieving the same result by taking up the slop but not a permanent fix. I adjusted the 2 door closure hasps on both drivers side doors and quiet as can be going down the road.
Do you have the torque specs for the T40 screws?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:06 AM
spongecop
Semper Fi

almost all of my door rattles when cold were related to the black triangular sail panel that covers the side mirror bolts. I took some special anti-squeak tape and some cloth gaffers tape to the areas where it went thru the door frame and the connections to the door panel. I also have some squeaking coming from the trim cover at the interior door handle so used the same stuff on all the connections and rub points. Lastly I had a tick from both front doors depending on temp. I had the same problem with my old 2001 and had isolated the tick to the rubber bumper midway up the door. It would rub on the cab opening and cause the tick. 2017s is very small in comparison but little dab of silicon grease and its quiet as well.

I though about doing a write up with pics...let me know if this would be helpful to anyone.

Interior is now dead quiet unless my wife is with me

Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 AM
cnm_mike
Senior User
I too am getting noise from the sail panel. I would like more info and pics.
thx,
Mike

Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Thanks, spongecop, advice on removing/replacing the inside door panel may come in handy

Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Chris3
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spongecop
almost all of my door rattles when cold were related to the black triangular sail panel that covers the side mirror bolts. I took some special anti-squeak tape and some cloth gaffers tape to the areas where it went thru the door frame and the connections to the door panel. I also have some squeaking coming from the trim cover at the interior door handle so used the same stuff on all the connections and rub points. Lastly I had a tick from both front doors depending on temp. I had the same problem with my old 2001 and had isolated the tick to the rubber bumper midway up the door. It would rub on the cab opening and cause the tick. 2017s is very small in comparison but little dab of silicon grease and its quiet as well.

I though about doing a write up with pics...let me know if this would be helpful to anyone.

Interior is now dead quiet unless my wife is with me
Yes, I write up with picks would be great. I'm sure many of us are having the same issues.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Straightgrain
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be same problem w/my 2018 STX

Originally Posted by FishRanger
Loosen the latch on the door pillar (see my previous posts). You will be able to move it back about an eighth of an inch so, making the door fit tighter. I had the same driving me nuts rattle and did this about 2000 miles ago and no more rattle. Just finished a 1500 mile trip from Oklahoma to Indiana pulling our fifth wheel over some bone jarring roads and still quiet. May not work for everyone but it fixed mine.

To TheLex, I had the same flexing sound and it also fixed that.
The rattle stops when I push out on the door with my elbow/forearm.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 AM
cnm_mike
Senior User
Spongecop - how is the write-up coming?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 AM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by cnm_mike
Spongecop - how is the write-up coming?