New Rattle in Driver Door - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New Rattle in Driver Door

Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 AM
DuRsT
Freshman User
DuRsT is starting off with a positive reputation.
New Rattle in Driver Door

I hopped up in my beautiful white beast this morning to run my daughter to school and a brand new rattle made itself apparent as I drove along, and it's not a particularly quiet one either. It almost sounds like wire is directly on the door metal itself, pretty obvious when going over even the smallest of bumps. I can recreate the sound by bumping the bottom of the door with my hand almost as though something has fallen to the bottom of the door.

Anyone else had this issue?

Old 09-12-2017, 02:35 PM
saskowner
Senior User
saskowner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had something similar last week. It was our first cold morning, just above freezing, and the drivers door had a rattle. I also thought it sounded like a metal rod vibrating against something. The strange thing is as the day warmed up the rattle stopped and so far hasn't returned. We have not had a similar cold day since so I can't confirm if temperature was the cause.
Gary

Old 09-12-2017, 02:38 PM
DuRsT
Freshman User
DuRsT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by saskowner View Post
Had something similar last week. It was our first cold morning, just above freezing, and the drivers door had a rattle. I also thought it sounded like a metal rod vibrating against something. The strange thing is as the day warmed up the rattle stopped and so far hasn't returned. We have not had a similar cold day since so I can't confirm if temperature was the cause.
Gary
Exact same thing here. We had our first cooler snap here last night. It rattled like hell all morning but now that it has warmed up some it doesn't have an issue. So strange.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
BII Plow Truck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Same here, just noticed this morning while driving into work. Seems internal as I couldn't stop it by grabbing onto anything within reach. Why can't Ford build a tight vehicle like the Germans. I have zero rattles on my 1999 VW with 400,000 miles! (Ok, the engine rattles, but it's a diesel!)

Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 PM
Dalingrin
Junior User
Dalingrin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just went over 100 miles on the odometer and I've got the same ticking/rattle sound coming from the driver door. Happened today for the first time and it was not cold here today(90F).

Anyone found a solution?

Old 10-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Timberwolf2017
Freshman User
Timberwolf2017 is starting off with a positive reputation.
door rattle

My 2017 has 500 miles and started rattling inside the driver door yesterday. It is a metallic sound, seems to be present when the truck/weather is hot(85-90F) after it has been sitting outside in the sun all day at work. I have appointment Wednesday to get it fixed.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Dalingrin
Junior User
Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017 View Post
My 2017 has 500 miles and started rattling inside the driver door yesterday. It is a metallic sound, seems to be present when the truck/weather is hot(85-90F) after it has been sitting outside in the sun all day at work. I have appointment Wednesday to get it fixed.
Please let us know how it goes. It would be great to be able to point to this to help get it fixed for me. One worry I have is that my rattle is very intermittent so chances are it won't be rattling when I go to get it serviced.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:26 PM
nxtdiesel
Junior User
nxtdiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also have a rattle in my drivers door. it's not really noticeable on smooth roads but on rougher roads it is. It seems to mostly go away if I put pressure on the door panel with my leg.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 PM
FishRanger
Senior User
FishRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine is more of a creaking noise. I have noticed that when I hit a really hard bump it seems the door is moving causing the gasket to rub. It is pretty constant on rough roads, not loud but still bothersome.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:39 AM
brickman
Elder User
brickman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.brickman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I read a post awhile ago that said their rattle was coming from the rear passenger /driver side, seat belt buckle rattling against one of the panels.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:30 AM
rick danger
Senior User
rick danger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FishRanger View Post
Mine is more of a creaking noise. I have noticed that when I hit a really hard bump it seems the door is moving causing the gasket to rub. It is pretty constant on rough roads, not loud but still bothersome.
Does the door sit flush with the body when closed? Maybe loosen the
nader pin, move it in, and get the door to close more tightly?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:57 AM
mobil1
New User
mobil1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was able to get rid of the annoying rattle [which sounds more like a crackling sound] by opening the door loosening and re tightening lower hinge bolt.This is the bolt that bolts the hinge to the door .

Old 10-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Dalingrin
Junior User
Fwiw, you guys are definitely talking about 2 different issues. Mine sounds exactly as the OP described, something banging against the aluminum panel like a loose wire bundle or something.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:33 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
The Big Tow has a good reputation on FTE.The Big Tow has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds to me like someone needs to pull a door panel and let us know what it is...... Could be -- God knows what it could be. There's so many things in the doors these days.

I've never seen a rattle cure itself permanently.

Maybe the next time it starts to rattle, lower the window just a tad. Everybody's saying it's on cold days, so I assume your windows are.

If it's a window, you'll still have to pull the panel off (or get someone that knows what he's doing -- Which ain't me. I run from those things) but it will narrow down the search, hopefully, once it's off.

I HATE rattles. Rattles must be destroyed. And squeaks. They must die

Old 10-07-2017, 06:38 PM
FishRanger
Senior User
FishRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just spent a couple of hours trying to isolate the noise. I put in my hearing aids, set them to high and went for a test drive. Since I don't wear them like I should I couldn't hear the metallic rattle sound without them but definitely heard it on the drive. I still felt like my driver's door was loose so I tried tightening up the bolts I could reach on the hinges. Nothing changed.

As a last thought I decided to put some grease on the door latching mechanism and the latch. I went for another test drive and the rattle was almost gone. All I could hear was just a little creaking on the hard bumps. When I got back I wondered if the little latch on the door post could be moved back and make the door fit tighter. I was able to move it back about an eighth of an inch. Went for another drive and the rattle and creaking were gone.

I'm not sure if the problem is permanently cured but I hope so. I also hope I didn't hurt anything by moving the latch. The door still closes very well but does take just a little more force. It did make it sit just a little inward of the back door, especially in the latch area, maybe 1/16th of an inch. I can live with that if it stops the rattle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Rattle in Driver Door

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.