Downgrade from Excursion to Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Simps
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downgrade from Excursion to Expedition

If you have experience towing with either please chime in. I am looking to sell my 03 Excursion 6.0 diesel and buy an Expedition with the hd tow package... preferably an EL for the longer wheelbase.

I tow a 6000lb, 32 ft travel trailer. The expeditions with hd tow have 9000 lb capacity and 15000 combined so I will be legal, but not sure I will be happy with the power. I towed this same trailer with an expedition that lacked the hd tow package and I had to repair the trans.

​​​​​​​Anyone tow similar TT with an expedition that wants to quiet my worries?

Old 09-01-2017, 10:12 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds just like my neighbors situation, the salesman told her it will pull it just fine, so she bought it. Her trailer is 5400# and 28ft long and she is very, did I say VERY unhappy with the towing performance, although she does say it works fine going down hill.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:43 PM
Simps
Senior User
Originally Posted by jetjockey99
Sounds just like my neighbors situation, the salesman told her it will pull it just fine, so she bought it. Her trailer is 5400# and 28ft long and she is very, did I say VERY unhappy with the towing performance, although she does say it works fine going down hill.
​​​​​​​Does your neighbor have the hd tow package? Standard wheel base or EL?

Old 09-02-2017, 03:45 AM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would not make that trade, 6000 # is not my concern, 32' of trailer can push an Expedition around a lot more than you'll want.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:16 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
If you do complete this type of transaction you will definitely want to invest in a quality hitch like a ProPride or Hensley Arrow. Not so much for 'sway control' but for overall stability (sidewinds from tractor-trailer vacuum) and weight distribution.

Gas v Diesel... nah I won't go there.

Going from an '03 Excursion to a '17~ Expedition will be a totally different EXperience. The electronics, heated and cooled steering wheels, heated and cooled seats, heated and cooled cup holders, the infotainment systems, connectivity...WOW, just WOW.

On the other hand, once you have an Excursion set up properly (3/4 ton SD platform SUV) and compare it to an Expedition (not even 1/2 ton fully-independent-suspension-commuter-vehicle) you will be found wanting.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:55 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I'm towing a 31 ft ultralight (35' end to end) with my 2006 short wheel base.

I don't have the HD towing package but I have upgraded the trans cooler with the HD cooler.

I'm going to part ways with everyone above on just about everything. You will want a good hitch, but a pro pride or Hensley isn't the only hitch that will work. Get into a Reese Straight Line, equalizer, or Husky HD and you will be fine. Spend the time getting your set up right. Pulling with a half ton truck is different and you can't be lazy about setting your hitch up. It HAS to be right or your towing experience will be miserable. Get it right and you can drive it with one hand most of the time.

Power ..... The 5.4 just sucks. But it will suck for a very long time, so long as you keep feeding it. It runs on dollars, not gas. JMO. But it gets the job done. I've got 185,000 on mine so far and it is no worse now than it was 80,000 miles ago when I bought it.

Get into a 2009 or newer to get the 6r80. You want the 6r80, it has proven to be a solid performer. The 4r75 gets it done but has to work like crazy and shifts frequently. The 6r80 shifts a lot too, but it is much better at it and keeps the engine in the power band much better.

The biggest down side is the soft suspension and lack of upgrade options. If you get one with coil springs, get some sumo coil spring spacers immediately. They help a lot and there is no detrement to the empty ride. They are about the only option and they work pretty well.

If you get one with air bags, learn how to set your hitch up with air bags. Take it to the scale if you need to make sure you got it right.

To call it "not quite a half ton" is really selling it short. It is essentially the same As the f150 except for the IRS. while the IRS doesn't have the raw load capacity of the solid axle, it has the same size ring gear and the IRS is quite a bit more stable in almost all situations. Some will disagree, but an IRS has less lateral movement than a leaf spring and handles the bumps better without upsetting the whole rig. I drive both and ive never had the rear end kick sideways on me from a pothole or washboard with the IRS. With the solid axle the rear end is always trying to step out when you go over anything really rough or abrubt. This translates to very good towing manners as well.

I'm not saying to do it or don't, but if you do you have to understand that towing with a half ton is not like towing with a 3/4 ton. They move around more when towing, it just is what it is. Still safe and controllable, just some find it unsettling. For me it is fine, but others hate it and feel unsafe.

My next tow rig will most likely be an expedition EL. Mostly for the interior room, but the extended wheel base will be nice when you have 31 ft of sail behind.

JMO from driving and towing with mine.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Simps
Senior User
Originally Posted by meborder
I'm towing a 31 ft ultralight (35' end to end) with my 2006 short wheel base.

I don't have the HD towing package but I have upgraded the trans cooler with the HD cooler.

I'm going to part ways with everyone above on just about everything. You will want a good hitch, but a pro pride or Hensley isn't the only hitch that will work. Get into a Reese Straight Line, equalizer, or Husky HD and you will be fine. Spend the time getting your set up right. Pulling with a half ton truck is different and you can't be lazy about setting your hitch up. It HAS to be right or your towing experience will be miserable. Get it right and you can drive it with one hand most of the time.

Power ..... The 5.4 just sucks. But it will suck for a very long time, so long as you keep feeding it. It runs on dollars, not gas. JMO. But it gets the job done. I've got 185,000 on mine so far and it is no worse now than it was 80,000 miles ago when I bought it.

Get into a 2009 or newer to get the 6r80. You want the 6r80, it has proven to be a solid performer. The 4r75 gets it done but has to work like crazy and shifts frequently. The 6r80 shifts a lot too, but it is much better at it and keeps the engine in the power band much better.

The biggest down side is the soft suspension and lack of upgrade options. If you get one with coil springs, get some sumo coil spring spacers immediately. They help a lot and there is no detrement to the empty ride. They are about the only option and they work pretty well.

If you get one with air bags, learn how to set your hitch up with air bags. Take it to the scale if you need to make sure you got it right.

To call it "not quite a half ton" is really selling it short. It is essentially the same As the f150 except for the IRS. while the IRS doesn't have the raw load capacity of the solid axle, it has the same size ring gear and the IRS is quite a bit more stable in almost all situations. Some will disagree, but an IRS has less lateral movement than a leaf spring and handles the bumps better without upsetting the whole rig. I drive both and ive never had the rear end kick sideways on me from a pothole or washboard with the IRS. With the solid axle the rear end is always trying to step out when you go over anything really rough or abrubt. This translates to very good towing manners as well.

I'm not saying to do it or don't, but if you do you have to understand that towing with a half ton is not like towing with a 3/4 ton. They move around more when towing, it just is what it is. Still safe and controllable, just some find it unsettling. For me it is fine, but others hate it and feel unsafe.

My next tow rig will most likely be an expedition EL. Mostly for the interior room, but the extended wheel base will be nice when you have 31 ft of sail behind.

JMO from driving and towing with mine.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually towed my TT with an expedition very similar to yours... 2006, no hd tow, sumo spring helpers. Trans cooler was stock.

I ended up replacing torque converter and sheared some of the rubber check ***** so had to upgrade to the plastic.

​​​​​​​I am wondering if the EL plus hd tow will make a significant difference.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
The new expeditions are updated with the 3.5 ecoboost. You will not be disappointed In the power or transmission pulling 6,000 lbs. But 32'???? I pulled a 30'er with an early model expedition a couple times locally. No way in hell would I have headed out on the interstate with it. Very uncomfortable experience on curvy 50mph hwy's. Some e rated tires may have helped it, but that rear suspension was very soft. With a later model, a longer wheel base and HD towing package, I think it would be a better experience, but I'm sure it will not be as stable as your excursion.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:40 PM
Brandon150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Simps
If you have experience towing with either please chime in. I am looking to sell my 03 Excursion 6.0 diesel and buy an Expedition with the hd tow package... preferably an EL for the longer wheelbase.

I tow a 6000lb, 32 ft travel trailer. The expeditions with hd tow have 9000 lb capacity and 15000 combined so I will be legal, but not sure I will be happy with the power. I towed this same trailer with an expedition that lacked the hd tow package and I had to repair the trans.

Anyone tow similar TT with an expedition that wants to quiet my worries?
bullet proof the 6.0 if you haven’t already and keep the excursion.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Simps
Senior User
Here is the end of the story: I traded in the excursion for the expedition. Gave it to my wife and drove her SUV until I couldn't live with myself anymore. Sold the TT. Bought a 6.2 F250, sold her SUV. Now I am shopping for a new TT or Fifth wheel. I love my truck. Momma is getting a smaller SUV.

Wish I never sold the Excursion, but the 6.2L gas truck will pull better than the Ex and my wife is on board for a new trailer.