6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

F350 Diesel - Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:28 AM
From Her
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 Diesel - Warranty

Looking to purchase NEW 2017 factory-made specific F350 diesel. We are checking out all of these warranties. Is it truly beneficial to purchase the Premium Care Service plan? I haven't located yet the specific "bumper to bumper" warranty.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:34 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
The diesel engine itself has a warranty to 100K as I recall. Bumper to bumper is 3/36.

I bought an extended warranty which covers pretty much everything to 100K. I did not go with the service plan since I do my own maintenance. If you're not into changing oil and other maintenance items then the service plan might be for you.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're considering it, do it when you buy the thing, adding it on later I believe is a bit more expensive. Plus they "roll it up" into the purchase price of the truck; if you're financing the truck the cost will be spread out over the life of the loan

Old 08-29-2017, 12:09 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I kind of feel the opposite way with the ESP warranty. No need to spend the money until you need to. The basic warranty is 3/36,000. On my 2011 6.7L, I purchased the extended warranty at the time that I closed on my new truck. Took the Flood Ford price to closing and my dealer matched it, saving me hundreds off their price. But they called me at 29,000 miles and under three years later and said that they wanted me to trade my 2011 in on a new truck. They said lots of nice things and I traded the truck. I did not get a full refund on my un-used ESP plan but a pro-rated amount back, even though I was still under base warranty. It was a good amount of money and nothing the dealer could do to help.

For my 2015, I waited 2.75 years before getting ESP coverage from Flood or Zeigler Ford. Took a few minutes and a charge card as I was approaching 36,000 miles. Cost was $100 more to wait almost three years. Life changes, your truck can be a lemon, or like me, you might decide to trade your beast while in base. No need to purchase early unless rolling the cost into the initial loan is a huge, deciding factor.

bruce....

Old 08-29-2017, 12:17 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
One other important point. I would not own a 6.7L without a plan of some kind should the expensive parts under the hood break and I am one moment or one mile out of warranty. This truck is crazy expensive to fix in some cases and Ford does not give you any extra minutes or miles. Getting mad and posting bad things on the internet is not a great plan when a dealer asks for $25,000 to fix your out of warranty truck. You need a plan. My plan is ESP. Others have other plans that are good too.

The plan where you post notes on Ford Forum sites seems to be a little weak though. You still have to write the $25,000 check and explain to the wife how you were offered countless extended warranties to cover this problem but declined all of them because extended warranties are all a scam.

bruce...

Old 08-29-2017, 01:02 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
One other important point. I would not own a 6.7L without a plan of some kind should the expensive parts under the hood break and I am one moment or one mile out of warranty. This truck is crazy expensive to fix in some cases and Ford does not give you any extra minutes or miles. Getting mad and posting bad things on the internet is not a great plan when a dealer asks for $25,000 to fix your out of warranty truck. You need a plan. My plan is ESP. Others have other plans that are good too.

The plan where you post notes on Ford Forum sites seems to be a little weak though. You still have to write the $25,000 check and explain to the wife how you were offered countless extended warranties to cover this problem but declined all of them because extended warranties are all a scam.

bruce...
One rear view, outside, mirror just about covers the ESP plus I sleep better. I don't own any of the new modern vehicles without extended warranties and I do my own maintenance. Cost of parts and over 100 bucks per hour add up fast.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 PM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I kind of feel the opposite way with the ESP warranty. No need to spend the money until you need to. The basic warranty is 3/36,000. years.

bruce....
Same here, I bought the extended warranty when the truck was two years old.

Rob

Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 AM
montey2005
Senior User
I bought mine for some $1700 about a year after purchase, it's a 2012. I've had the DEF debacle and both pump, tank and a few other items related to this were replaced. This little job saved me some $2 grand (just about). When I hit my limit at 100k I'm ripping all that out, it's worthless anyway.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:18 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Bruce,

How did you get your money back?
"I did not get a full refund on my un-used ESP plan but a pro-rated amount back, even though I was still under base warranty. It was a good amount of money"

​​​​​​​thanks,

I kind of feel the opposite way with the ESP warranty. No need to spend the money until you need to. The basic warranty is 3/36,000. On my 2011 6.7L, I purchased the extended warranty at the time that I closed on my new truck. Took the Flood Ford price to closing and my dealer matched it, saving me hundreds off their price. But they called me at 29,000 miles and under three years later and said that they wanted me to trade my 2011 in on a new truck. They said lots of nice things and I traded the truck. I did not get a full refund on my un-used ESP plan but a pro-rated amount back, even though I was still under base warranty. It was a good amount of money and nothing the dealer could do to help.

For my 2015, I waited 2.75 years before getting ESP coverage from Flood or Zeigler Ford. Took a few minutes and a charge card as I was approaching 36,000 miles. Cost was $100 more to wait almost three years. Life changes, your truck can be a lemon, or like me, you might decide to trade your beast while in base. No need to purchase early unless rolling the cost into the initial loan is a huge, deciding factor.

bruce....

Old 08-30-2017, 09:21 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JohnD333
Bruce,

How did you get your money back?
"I did not get a full refund on my un-used ESP plan but a pro-rated amount back, even though I was still under base warranty. It was a good amount of money"

​​​​​​​thanks,
My dealer contacted the Ford warranty department and had a check in my hand in a few days after closing on the new truck for the pro-rated amount. If you did not purchase a new vehicle from Ford, just call the Ford warranty department yourself.

Ford Contact Information Linky
Ford Motor Company Hours (EST):
877-794-6434
800-232-5952
9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m., Monday -Friday
9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Saturday

Old 08-31-2017, 01:01 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I'm just the opposite of the above posters. I've never bought the extended warranties and I feel like I've come out way ahead. I put 30-35,000 miles a year on my trucks, and I'm out of warranty in 3 years. A lot of the extended warranties will extend your 3 years to 7 years but don't add a lot of mileage.

I run my trucks about 150,000 miles, In that time, I usually replace brakes, batteries, maybe front bearings/hubs. My current truck has the Steering Wheel position sensor gone bad, Dealer wanted $500 to fix it, I bought the new sensor online for $30 and it was a 1 hour job to pull the steering wheel and replace it.

Bottom line look at what your risks are. How many miles you are putting on during the warranty period and access whether the extended warranty is justified. In my case the money I've saved over the last 5 trucks will easily pay for a major repair if I ever need it.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:21 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
That's certainly a plan and a very good plan for some. Never purchase an extended warranty but accept the fact that if you have to write a $25,000 check to get your beast back on the road, you know that this is possible and are prepared. You wont love it but you know this is possible and accept this risk.

Unfortunately, not all people that accept the risk of running an out of warranty truck accept the fact that a large payment is possible. We see emotion packed post here all the time that claim "My crazy expensive truck with tons of options was never supposed to break" or "Ford Sucks because my truck is one moment out of warranty or one mile out of coverage and Ford and my dealer will do nothing for me". Of course Ford will not. They are super clear as to where their responsibility ends and where your full responsibility begins. They beg you to purchase extended coverage but if you say no, they hold to their end of the bargain but not a moment after.

bruce...

Old 09-02-2017, 11:32 AM
cappa
Senior User
I think some times these crazy expensive repair bills are the result of taking your truck without warranty to a Ford dealer. Lots of good independent diesel shops in my area that will do the same job for a fraction of the price if a huge repair does happen. I also take my chances without extended warranty and so far am way ahead after 4 trucks. I also do minor repairs myself though.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:53 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cappa
I think some times these crazy expensive repair bills are the result of taking your truck without warranty to a Ford dealer. Lots of good independent diesel shops in my area that will do the same job for a fraction of the price if a huge repair does happen. I also take my chances without extended warranty and so far am way ahead after 4 trucks. I also do minor repairs myself though.
Your 100% correct. Another correct statistic is a lot of still good Power Strokes have met their demise at the hands of so called independent expert diesel mechanics

Old 09-03-2017, 10:50 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cappa
I never buy extended warrantees. The company's that sell them are making a profit. And a lot of the aftermarket ones have lots of tricks to keep from paying. Liking taking months to approve repairs, and making the shop use USED parts.
I have noticed the fuel system repair bill has grown every week on this forum, I think it's $25,000 now. All the parts are about $6000 and Labor is about $2000.
Just about anything can be fixed without going to the dealer. a YouTube vedio probably exists that will help with the repair.

Quick Reply: F350 Diesel - Warranty