Notices

I gambled and maybe I

Old 12-30-2018, 09:38 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by schoo View Post
Some body on here said I will need a different distributor drive gear if I change cams(comp cam#35-512-8)is this true and if so have you got a part#
Only if you go from a flat tappet to a roller cam (or vice-versa) The cam's materials are different (steel for the roller, cast iron for flat tappet)

Old 12-30-2018, 11:56 AM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by baddad457 View Post
Only if you go from a flat tappet to a roller cam (or vice-versa) The cam's materials are different (steel for the roller, cast iron for flat tappet)
ok Iím going to roller cam. so steel are they all the same I believe I also will change the firing order

Old 12-30-2018, 12:43 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
As far as I know all roller cams are steel.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
Itz been a while so I think this was covered, but your 89 block is "roller capable", it will need a "spider" & "dog bones" to go with a roller cam.

Most all hi-perf small block Ford cams usually have the notation in their specs "must use 351 firing order".

You will need a steel distributor gear. I'd also suggest you take the time to replace the PIP sensor in the distributor since you have to press off the gear.

Use a Motorcraft part.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:54 AM
Last chance 53
Senior User
Last chance 53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Last chance 53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am running a comp cam in my 331 and was told by comp that all the cam part numbers that end in -8 are iron based and a steel gear was not needed. Maybe want to double check before you change to steel

Old 12-31-2018, 01:25 PM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Last chance 53 View Post
I am running a comp cam in my 331 and was told by comp that all the cam part numbers that end in -8 are iron based and a steel gear was not needed. Maybe want to double check before you change to steel
thanks guys info keeps me hopping summits got a steel one for $29.99 and also sell comps plastic one for $💯 so I have a good range to choose

Old 01-01-2019, 01:01 PM
xlt4wd90
Post Fiend
xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The -8 are rollers, so are they steel?

Old 01-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Last chance 53
Senior User
Last chance 53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Last chance 53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The comp cams are a ductile lron core, not billet steel. They use a heat treatment on the lobes to control wear on them.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:07 PM
schoo
Postmaster

The comp cams are a ductile lron core, not billet steel. They use a heat treatment on the lobes to control wear on them.
ok what drive gear am I going to use? I sent an email to comp asking yesterday so donít expect to here from them soon

Old 01-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Last chance 53
Senior User
The tech dept. at comp cams told me I could use the stock iron gear.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Scndsin
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
Use a steel gear.

This would be fine for your application if you can't a Motorcraft part.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850460/overview/make/ford

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850461/overview/make/ford

Measure the shaft.

(Edit) larger shaft probably for 351/5.8, my bad.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:45 PM
schoo
Postmaster
The tech dept. at comp cams told me I could use the stock iron gear.
I just found a video by comp cams on summit tech support (Iím old so canít link it)but it gives a chart and a video shows how to see the difference in cam material and a chart shows drive gear chooses Iím going to use steel

Old 01-01-2019, 10:15 PM
schoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Scndsin View Post
Use a steel gear.

This would be fine for your application if you can't a Motorcraft part.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850460/overview/make/ford

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850461/overview/make/ford

Measure the shaft.

(Edit) larger shaft probably for 351/5.8, my bad.
yes I checked it I have the small shaft
Calling ford tomorrow

Old 01-02-2019, 11:27 AM
schoo
Postmaster
Mission creep

Hope this isnít a bad sign the drive gear for the distributor that I have looks to be a steel/plastic stock drive gear I need to change out I donít want to change the hole distributor just the gear it has a roll pin and I believe itís a press on gear. The machine shop I use doesnít do this so looking around. The ford dealer says it an obsolete part and canít even get me a part number. A new year project road block?

Old 01-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Scndsin
Wow. That's pretty lame. It's not hard to drive out the roll pin. The physical effort to press off the gear is minimal.

This is the first hit I got on Google. I'm sure there's more:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I gambled and maybe I

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.