2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

How to run Vehicle Health Report?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 AM
jaherbst
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problems as others here. Went to dealer cyber expert and even he didn't know. You do have to manually plug the phone into the USB ports, run the truck wait til FordPass shows up. After briefly waiting manually disconnect USB cord and ford pass then log into ford owner. After several minutes it did show up on my Apple 6+ cell phone. What a confusing dicked up process.

Out of half a dozen try's I got it to work once. Seems you should be able to change this somehow with IDS to show up on dash instead of all this confusion.This is a one time deal and all has to be repeated each time you want to get a health report. (oil life)

Jack

Old 08-16-2017, 07:46 AM
jaherbst
Senior User
Originally Posted by rwilimo
I find on my gasser that if I go into the dash menu to the oil life reset area that it shows the percentage left, it would seem that this is much easier
What year is your truck? Do you have Sync 3? If it is not a 2017 with sync three it does not apply to your truck.

Jack

Old 08-16-2017, 08:12 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,870 Likes on 2,789 Posts
I find on my gasser that if I go into the dash menu to the oil life reset area that it shows the percentage left, it would seem that this is much easier
Didn't work on my 2017.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:36 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kho6658
Then I'm not sure how it works since android auto launches as soon it starts. I run the report from owner.ford.com I have never disabled it since getting it to work. Maybe it needs to be disabled if running from the truck.
Android auto only runs if the phone is plugged in, the phone doesn't need to be plugged in to use the ford pass app.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I got mine to work, sort of.

1. Go to the play.google.com site and install the FordPass app. This is the critical piece that was missing. I turned my phone's WiFi and bluetooth on and left it on for the remainder of this exercise.
2. Open the FordPass app on your phone and complete the login information. This will be the same login you use to get into owner.ford.com.
3. Get in your truck and start the engine
4. On the truck's Sync screen make it connect to your phone if that didn't automagically happen
5. Go to the Apps icon on the Truck's Sync screen. You should get the FordPass icon now. If you didn't then get out of the FordPass app and try restarting it.

I did get two emails from FordPass, so I know it's working. One about a Perk and the other confirming that my profile is complete. I had Android Auto on while all this was happening but I eventually closed it. I didn't get any vehicle health report and it may be because Android Auto was there when I started FordPass. Android Auto is a bit aggressive and it seems like it comes back on its own.

Anyhow, I'm further than I was before. But not quite finished.

It's interesting that there is fuel price info in both Sirius and FordPass. I didn't compare the two to see if they agreed.
If you read in the ford pass app it tells you android auto must be disabled for it too work.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 AM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
For whatever the reason, 6.7s don't have this feature. You can monitor oil life and lots of other stuff using Forscan lite or TorquePro, though.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:46 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by wb6anp
If you read in the ford pass app it tells you android auto must be disabled for it too work.
I know it says that, but I think it worked anyhow. It isn't clear. I had Android Auto on for most of the time, but shut it off only towards the end of letting my engine run.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by wb6anp
Android auto only runs if the phone is plugged in, the phone doesn't need to be plugged in to use the ford pass app.
On my phone, Android Auto works even if bluetooth is the only connection method. I never used my USB cable last night when I was getting mine to work.

I do agree that the FordPass app worked through bluetooth.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
I know it says that, but I think it worked anyhow. It isn't clear. I had Android Auto on for most of the time, but shut it off only towards the end of letting my engine run.
i can get ford pass to work with androud auto but it wont do VHR untill i unplug. Maybe it is just my truck. Now iam seeing my fuel level that i wasnt seeing before.

EDIT: and now Iam again getting a "permissions not recieved, cannot connect to server" error again. Ths app sucks.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:02 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I'm back to not being able to get the vehicle health report working. I tried a number of different ways to get the connection between FordPass on my Android phone to connect to my truck. When I went to owner.ford.com my prior health report didn't exist. Strange. This software sure is goofy.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
My phone received a new version of FordPass tonight. I'll test it tomorrow.

Earlier today I somehow managed to get the FordPass App icon to show up on the sync screen. This was not happening a couple of days ago. But, the app came up with a blank screen and eventually said it had lost communication with FordPass and would I like to restart the app (on my phone?). Still couldn't get it to work. Android Auto is disabled within Sync and on my phone, just to make sure it isn't causing problems.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:56 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
I went through all the steps with my IPhone 6s and had zero luck. I love my truck but this FordPass App isn't exactly a marvel of technology, I honestly don't know why they bothered.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:11 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
As a software developer I'm embarrassed by the integration between the phone apps and the truck.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:16 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have found if I start the app on my phone first, , the FordPass logo shows up on the dash and I tap that. The FordPass logo does not show up when moving, and possibly, the vehicle even needs to be in Park. Not sure about that.

Once I got it working, I've gotten mine to run 2 reports now. First told me I needed an oil change, and now it shows 99% oil life.

I do get a warning about TPMS not working, but I don't care. I have not sprung for the correct sensors for the wheels.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:07 AM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
As a software developer I'm embarrassed by the integration between the phone apps and the truck.
Dude - I agree. I am a software engineer and this is the worst usability and stability I have seen in a commercial product in quite a while. Ford - you should be embarrassed.

Its like someone at Ford thought "How can I make this as difficult and complex as possible."

I have been dinking around with this for 2 days and still not working. I just want to see my oil percentage life. :-(

Quick Reply: How to run Vehicle Health Report?