Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Utah 2018 HITR Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Yes!! I like what you did there! That sounds good to me!

Old 09-27-2017, 12:18 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Black Bear is the trail on the left (West) side of 550. Poughkeepsie is the trail on the right (East) side of 550.

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
So we could pretty easily knock out both in one day?

Old 09-28-2017, 11:50 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
So we could pretty easily knock out both in one day?

Kinda maybe sorta. Depends on where we spend the night before. What time we start in the morning. What trails we wanted to include with these two. If we spent the night before at Ridgeway or Ouray and made an early start and went up Poughkeepsie. Then maybe Corkscrew back down to 550. Then Black Bear over to Telluride. Then depending on what time we get to Telluride and how much time we spend there either 2 lane highway back or the much longer time wise Imogene back. Now if you want to go back down to Animas Forks or straight down to Silverton that would mean for sure the 2 lane highway back from Telluride. But yup, it could be done.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:22 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I should have checked earlier but according to this: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanju...fsbdev3_002300 Cork Screw, Black Bear and Imogene are closed. It's been a warm year but if it is wet out that way there is snow at the high passes.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:27 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
yeah, I suppose it was just a pipe dream.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 106 Likes on 100 Posts
If I do Colorado 2018 I was thinking of doing San Juans again-- Immogene- Black Bear ect- but If I rebuild the axle I may not have the funds.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
A little farther south lies Monument Valley, have never taken the loop tour. Since it's part of the Reservation there isn't any camping allowed as such. You guys know of nearby Bureau Land Management areas that would still have good views of the area, with open dry camping?

Old 10-06-2017, 01:09 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
yeah, I suppose it was just a pipe dream.

I think our chances would be pretty good the first part of September. Those and Engineer are the only trails that are closed and this is October. Tourist $$$'s are the foundation of this area and Labor Day is Sept. 3 in 2018. The locals will do as much as they can to keep the trails open through Labor day.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Looking forward to it already!

Old 10-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 106 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
A little farther south lies Monument Valley, have never taken the loop tour. Since it's part of the Reservation there isn't any camping allowed as such. You guys know of nearby Bureau Land Management areas that would still have good views of the area, with open dry camping?
Sorry I do not-- I looked on the map but campsites are not listed

Old 10-08-2017, 02:27 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tedster9

I have camped a few times in Valley Of The Gods but the campsites were not good for anything but a quick stop to sleep and then move on. No room for trailers and such. There are campsites on the west side of 261 that others have said are good but I can only remember being there a couple of times and in the dark with bad weather. Up on the Moki may be some nice ones or down west of VOG. There are many campsites at Comb Ridge that I have used over the years. Those are more for a place with protection from bad weather.

I have been to Goulding's many times but can't remember driving the loop south. I may have long ago but my rememberer won't tell me fer sure.

I have a few campsites I marked on my Delorme Topo program. But most of the time you just drive off in an area and start looking for one as they are not shown on any thing that I know of. Wind would be a problem with blowing sand. I would look for a place with some form of protection from the weather. But you might get lucky camped in and open area with an over look. But then I have seen folks who lost a tent at such places.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:21 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
This is a map of my gps tracks. Poughkeepsie is in blue and is a converted route file as I did not log a gps track for it the times I travelled it in the past.

Depending on when in September we go we do need to have a plan b and maybe even plan c.

Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:02 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
We could try to plan to head out Labor Day weekend. Thing is lots un lots of folks will have the same plan. Denver and I-70 west of Denver will be a mess. But it would get us to the San Juan's just after the Labor Day weekend and would be our best chance for open trails.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:07 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 944 Likes on 686 Posts
Looks like fun, will pass thru there this fall.

Quick Reply: Utah 2018 HITR Adventure